More questions about color and shading Topic is solved

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
UsaMiKo

More questions about color and shading

Post by UsaMiKo »

This artist on Vimeo tried their hand at creating the animation style of Klaus; you can see it here. https://vimeo.com/132038089" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It doesn't look exactly like it, but it is still rather impressive. His approach seems pretty standard; rough, clean up, matte, color and then lineless. But I'm more interested in his approach to colors here. It looks like some kind of combination of textures and gradients. The person who posted this used Toon Boom, and Toon Boom is known for having an overly complex coloring system (four art layers and all that). So I'm wondering what would be the easiest way to recreate this in TVPaint. Is there some kind of texture overlay I could know more about? Could you use the FX stack to add the gradients? Do you need to use a matte (I don't completely understand mattes yet, by the way)? Is it just a matter of picking the right brushes and painting in the right place? Any advice or steps will be very much appreciated.
Elodie

Re: More questions about color and shading

Post by Elodie »

Hello !

Klaus' teaser was actually animated in TVPaint, inked and coloured in Harmony, shadows / lightning + camera moves are in Nuke and texturing was made with a company named "Les films du poisson rouge".

In TVPaint, I think the best way to achieve this look is to combine CTG layers with Toon Shading fx.
With CTG layers, you paint your character. Once it's done, your can extract colour areas in separated layers in order to apply a Toon shading on every zone (and imitate sort of volume).

Hopefully it will help you to achieve what you want :)
UsaMiKo

Re: More questions about color and shading

Post by UsaMiKo »

YOU CAN DO THAT IN NUKE!? I have really got to figure out compositing one of these days. But I do think the Toon Shader could work. Thanks for the advice!