Can't import any videos into TVPaint 11

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
MichaelJRuocco

Can't import any videos into TVPaint 11

Post by MichaelJRuocco »

I want to import some footage to draw over for my students, but for some reason TVPaint won't let me import any video footage files, no matter the size or file type (.mp4, .avi, etc.) When I select import/open in the file menu, or "import footage" in the layers area, an open window will pop up to select my files, and when I select a file and hit "open", nothing happens. Sometimes after hitting "open", the same window will pop up again, and after selecting the file, nothing will happen.

None of the other forum topics regarding importing video seemed to cover or answer the issue I'm dealing with. Is this a bug in the program, or am I not doing something right?
Windows 10 Pro N, Mid-2016
4.01 GHz Inter (R) Core(TM) i7-6700K, 32G of RAM, TVPaint PRO 11.03 - 64bits
Wacom Cintiq 24HDT
Elodie

Re: Can't import any videos into TVPaint 11

Post by Elodie »

Hello, welcome here. Please read this topic :

http://forum.tvpaint.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6167" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

MichaelJRuocco wrote:I want to import some footage to draw over for my students, but for some reason TVPaint won't let me import any video footage files, no matter the size or file type (.mp4, .avi, etc.) When I select import/open in the file menu, or "import footage" in the layers area, an open window will pop up to select my files, and when I select a file and hit "open", nothing happens. Sometimes after hitting "open", the same window will pop up again, and after selecting the file, nothing will happen.

None of the other forum topics regarding importing video seemed to cover or answer the issue I'm dealing with. Is this a bug in the program, or am I not doing something right?
Hi, Michael ,

Good to see you here.

See Elodie's post above (they need your basic info: i.e. what version of TVPaint do you have ? 11.0.3 is most recent . Be sure you've updated to 11.0.3 . What is your computer OS ? etc. , as here : http://forum.tvpaint.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6167" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; , A handy way to do this is to go into your User Control Panel here on the forum , Profile > Edit Signature to add the information to your signature line . See mine below. )

When the Import Footage window opens make sure you are importing the footage as a Project (makes a new project of the imported movie) or Layer (adds the movie to a new layer within in an existing scene , or a Clip to add the movie as a new Clip (scene) to an existing project . Be sure you're not trying to import the movie as Custom Brush.

See the four different options for Import: Project, Clip , Layer , Custom Brush -
Screen Shot 2017-01-12 at 9.59.27 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2017-01-12 at 9.59.27 AM.jpg (29.55 KiB) Viewed 18519 times

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
MichaelJRuocco

Post by MichaelJRuocco »

Hey David and Elodie!

First off, my apologies for not providing my info. I added it to my signature, which should be on the bottom of my post, but just in case:

Wacom Cintiq 24HDT

As for Importing Footage, that Import window you posted doesn't come up. When I try to open a file to import, nothing will happen, but if I import something like a photo or even a .gif, that import footage window will come up. I'm not sure if it's just not properly reading the file formats for video. I've tried .movs (which I read up on in the forums and learned don't work), .mp4s, .avis, .m4vs... no dice. Not sure why the program doesn't go to the import window when selecting a video.
Wacom Cintiq 24HDT
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

In a situation like this I first check if other programs have the same problem. Do the videsos play on that machine? Is there a video editor, can it inport?
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

MichaelJRuocco wrote:Hey David and Elodie!

First off, my apologies for not providing my info. I added it to my signature, which should be on the bottom of my post, but just in case:

Wacom Cintiq 24HDT

As for Importing Footage, that Import window you posted doesn't come up. When I try to open a file to import, nothing will happen, but if I import something like a photo or even a .gif, that import footage window will come up. I'm not sure if it's just not properly reading the file formats for video. I've tried .movs (which I read up on in the forums and learned don't work), .mp4s, .avis, .m4vs... no dice. Not sure why the program doesn't go to the import window when selecting a video.

Hi, Michael -

Well ,that mystifies me. I'm on Mac , but I have many students who work with TVPaint on Windows and I have not come across this issue you are describing . The expected behavior on both Mac and Windows is that if you select a .mov or .avi or .mp4 file -- or any compatible still image format such as .jpg, .png, .tiff -- from File Menu > Open/Import (or just drag & drop the movie file on to the TVPaint project window) then the Import Footage window will open , as shown here:

https://www.tvpaint.com/doc/tvp11/index ... image-anim" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hopefully someone from TVPaint development can help you figure out what the problem is.

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1