Dual Screens Topic is solved

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
o0Ampy0o

Dual Screens

Post by o0Ampy0o »

Hello,

Currently I am just using the Trial.

"The trial of TVPaint Animation is not time limited, but it does have the limitation that you can not save (and export) your work and a water mark will be on the project."

Yet Preferences is grayed out and cannot be opened.

I have been reading a few threads on dual screens. I cannot utilize two screens. I cannot drag any windows to the other monitor. In fact I cannot drag any windows beyond the border of the software interface.

Is this normal?

Is this only how the Trial version is limited?

OS X Yosemite 10.10.4
NVidia GTX 970
Main System: Mac Mini running OS X: Big Sur | M1 | 16GB RAM | have not installed TVPaint on new M1 need to update to current as of 9/2022 ...pending non-dongle license 1/2023 | iPad Pro, Apple Pencil and Astropad | Wacom Intros Pro
Elodie

Re: Dual Screens

Post by Elodie »

Hello !

Go to System Preferences of your Mac > Mission Control > Displays have separate spaces.
You might have to log out and in of your session to confirm the choice (a message will tell you to do so).
o0Ampy0o

Post by o0Ampy0o »

Thank you for the response. I checked Mission Control and had that enabled. I have been able to use dual screens with everything else. The previous description only applies to using TV Paint.
Main System: Mac Mini running OS X: Big Sur | M1 | 16GB RAM | have not installed TVPaint on new M1 need to update to current as of 9/2022 ...pending non-dongle license 1/2023 | iPad Pro, Apple Pencil and Astropad | Wacom Intros Pro
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

You must disable "displays has several spaces".
o0Ampy0o

Post by o0Ampy0o »

I tried that checked and unchecked. The only difference was that unchecked I could drag the interface across both displays. However I could not get any windows to drag beyond the interface border whether checked or not.

I want the main screen on one display and the supporting windows on the other. This is what I do with every program I use. It does not work with TV Paint, or the trial at least.

Dragging the interface across two displays is not a viable alternative. The result places the space between both displays down the center of the drawing area. Also, if you select Full Screen mode everything shifts to one display leaving the other screen black.
o0Ampy0o

Post by o0Ampy0o »

I contacted TV Paint Support and they said in version 11 you cannot drag windows beyond the interface border.

"Unfortunately with TVPaint Animation 11, would it be the trial version or an actual license, it is not possible to drag the tool panels outside of the interface."

So now I am wondering what exactly people have been doing when they use two displays.

If you cannot drag the windows outside the interface how do you utilize the other screen?
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

It's quite simple. We drag the big TVP application window across all screens. Inside of that we can arrange anything else freely.
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
o0Ampy0o

Post by o0Ampy0o »

That places the physical gap and both display's frame down the center of the drawing/camera/project scene area.

How do you get around that?
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

o0Ampy0o wrote:That places the physical gap and both display's frame down the center of the drawing/camera/project scene area.

How do you get around that?
Simply detach and move the drawing/camera/project area so it's centered on the screen where you want to draw.

In this example I have my drawing area on one monitor (Cintiq) with the Light Table and a Pencil Tools panel . All the other panels such as the Timeline , Tools, etc. are on the other monitor (Macbook Pro).
TVPaint on two monitors.jpg
Here's a link to a screen shot of Paul Fierlinger's set-up. He uses FOUR monitors. The TVPaint interface is stretched out across the four monitors.

download/file.php?id=6883&mode=view" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Be aware that If you're on Mac there's been a problem recently where TVPaint won't "remember" the stretched out position of the interface over two (or more) monitors , so every time you re-start the program you have to stretch out the interface to cover the two monitors , but Fabrice said this would be fixed by the next update which should be soon.

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
o0Ampy0o

Post by o0Ampy0o »

I figured it out late last night after I concluded detaching that scene area had to be possible.

I noticed that even though you cannot save with the Trial and there is this acknowledged problem remembering multi-screen workspace layouts, it does remember as long as I do not reboot the system.

If I just close the program it recalls my dual screen layout when I reopen it.

Also, in my initial post I described Preferences being grayed out. It is grayed out under the typical OS X location in the top menu bar where the software title is. However, there is another place to access Preferences under Edit (as in Windows) that is not grayed out.
o0Ampy0o

Post by o0Ampy0o »

Well that is strange.

It had not remembered my dual screen layout. Even the first time opening the software today it was a mess. However, once I sorted things out it has remembered the dual screen layout after multiple reboots of my system. I had not rebooted the system when I described how it remembered the dual screen layout when I opened and closed the program but forgot if rebooting and just assumed it would go back to the mess it was when I opened the program after today's initial system boot up.

The only thing different, whether it is a factor or not, is that I installed the OS X 10.10.5 update from 10.10.4.
o0Ampy0o

Post by o0Ampy0o »

I imagine some of you have this figured out. The software remembers the dual screen layout if you leave space all around the stretched interface and do not stretch it all the way to any edge of the display.
lapprenti roi des singes

Post by lapprenti roi des singes »

Hi everyone.

Loooong time no see.
(everybody probably already forgot about me...)

A little question regarding TVP 11 (I've been working with the 9.5 for a few years, now, and finally recently upgraded to 11, Alleluiyah !).
In the same logic than being able to detach the work screen, I remember I could detach the timeline as well to make it an independent window that I could keep only in my first monitor, but I can't seem to do it anymore in the 11 version (it just drags along on both monitors, which is a bit tricky to handle, since I work with a Wacom Intuos and map my tablet on one monitor only).
Or is it a different method to do it (I remember it was click and drag the head of the timeline before, but maybe it changed here) ?

Thanks in advance.
Besoin d'un lift? J'ai garé mon nuage pas loin...
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

lapprenti roi des singes wrote: 16 Mar 2017, 21:04
I remember I could detach the timeline as well to make it an independent window that I could keep only in my first monitor, but I can't seem to do it anymore in the 11 version (it just drags along on both monitors, which is a bit tricky to handle, since I work with a Wacom Intuos and map my tablet on one monitor only).
Or is it a different method to do it (I remember it was click and drag the head of the timeline before, but maybe it changed here) ?
Double-click on the Timeline window's title bar at the top (not on the Timeline itself , but along the top edge of the window) to detach it to be a floating window.

https://www.tvpaint.com/doc/tvp11/index ... exceptions
Screen Shot 2017-03-16 at 5.38.58 PM.jpg
Welcome back to TVPaint-land.

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1