Using bookmarks/Markers to isolate a section of a timeline and remove everything else outside. Possible? Topic is solved

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
Stringbing

Using bookmarks/Markers to isolate a section of a timeline and remove everything else outside. Possible?

Post by Stringbing »

Hey guys! My name is Toniko Pantoja and I am a frequent TVPaint user. Currently, I use TVPaint 10.5!

First, let me tell you my situation.
I am currently working on a show where the show uses TVPaint for their rough animation files. The way things are composed is that there are several shots laid out in one timeline. For example, a file with just a single timeline would have five shots in sequential order instead of one shot. This is so that the given animator has freedom to arrange the timing of the shots, and so that we can edit cuts and takes on the go.

Now here's the thing. I learned later in the project that we were going to have to segregate each shot into individual tvpaint files instead of having multiple shots in one timeline. This is for outsourcing purposes. I was wondering if TVPaint has a feature that uses the MarkIn/MarkOut or the bookmark tool that lets me select all the images and keys I want to keep - and eliminate everything else outside of it?

This will help us in production by a huge margin. Thank you so much!

-Toniko
NathanOtano

Re: Using bookmarks/Markers to isolate a section of a timeline and remove everything else outside. Possible?

Post by NathanOtano »

Hey Toniko! Love you work, nice to see you here :)

You can use "split clip" in the clip tab of your menus, or use the shortcut with this name. It will split your clip in two, so di it once at the end and once at the beginning. Then you delete the other clips and you should be able to save the project with only the portion you need (beware of pre-post behaviours of your layers that could be outside of your clip portion)

For next time I'd advise you to still use multiple clips instead of every shot in one timeline, your animator still can change their timings and work them all at once but their separate like multiple cuts. It will be easier to time them with mark in/mark out (or layer length if you don't use them) and you'll manage less layers per clip so it's more clear.
Working on Windows 10
Creator of Disnosc, providing storyboard, animation and design for 2D realistic pictural animation: https://www.disnosc.fr/ - nathanotano@disnosc.fr
Highly interested in animation workflows, I'm open to scripting new TVP functions for individuals and studios.
D.T. Nethery

Re: Using bookmarks/Markers to isolate a section of a timeline and remove everything else outside. Possible?

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Hi, Toniko -

To add to what Nathan said about breaking up each scene into it's own Clip in the Project tab (so you can change timing on one clip (scene) without affecting the clips on either side of it) , a good way to see this Clip (scene) concept at work is in the Storyboard tutorial in the user manual:

https://www.tvpaint.com/doc/tvp11/index ... roject-tab

This is shown in the user manual for Storyboard/Animatic creation, but the same thing applies to organizing animation production scenes .

For your existing file with the five scenes all on one Timeline , use the Split Clip function from the Clip menu as Nathan mentioned.

Beware an odd feature about Splitting a clip ... by default it automatially appends a designation of "Clip Name_left" and "Clip Name_right" when you split the clip depending on their position in the timeline . If you split the "right" clip again , it gets appended as "Clip Name_right_right", and then if you split it again it is named ""Clip name_right_right_right" and so forth. To avoid this I just get in the habit of automatically renaming my clips when I split them. So let's say I have a scene called "SC_05_Seq_002" and I split it ... now the clip on the right of the original clip is "SC_05_Seq_002_right", which I will immediately rename as "SC_05a_Seq_002" (or rename the new clip as "SC_06_Seq_002") . So if you have a single clip that you're splitting up into 5 individual scenes (clips) you'll want to rename them sequentially as "SC_01" , "SC_02" , "SC_03" , "SC_04" , "SC_05" or whatever ... To rename the clip double-click on tis name in the Project tab and then type in the new name and hit Enter/Return to activate the new name. Make sense ?

(P.S. ditto what Nathan said: love your work, great tutorials on your YouTube channel. Glad to see you here on the forum, don't be a stranger)

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
Stringbing

Post by Stringbing »

This is why I love the TVPaint community so much.
Thanks Nathan and DT, this is sooooo useful and will save hours of work.