PC Crashed. TVPP file wiped clean? Topic is solved

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
DanielRenard

Re: PC Crashed. TVPP file wiped clean?

Post by DanielRenard »

Fabrice wrote: 16 Mar 2017, 09:45 Hi there,

We have checked the file, but the structure itself is damaged (if it was only the datas, we would just have missing frames/layers/clips or corrupted elements like guide or library).
Here there is unfortunately nothing we can recover.

It tends me to think that the problem occurred at the beginning of the "save" operation itself, even if the computer has frozen a little bit later ...
Thank you for taking the time to take a look at my file! As mentioned, I was fairly confident that this was already the case, as all attempt to physically view the data within the file, showed me a complete blank slate of data, with not even as much as the meta data intact; just a complete blank 1GB file.

I still somewhat hold on to my theory that I may have triggered a Save (Ctrl + S) in the middle of the crashed state (screen and cursor frozen in place, with sound looping the same 1/10 of a second as an unpleasant buzzing noise) which somehow rendered the file into the state it is in now and it makes me believe, that it may even be able to damage the automatic backups TVP saves, by continuously attempting to write/rewrite them during the freeze.
So for anyone experience a crash/freeze similar to this, My advice is: "Hands off keyboard! Reach for the power off/on button asap" :wink:

Since my initial post, I've had another crash on my PC, again while working in TVP
This time I instantly rebooted my PC and touched nothing else; My files were all fine and I could continue work as normal!

I've begun the process of elimination, to attempt to remove the cause of the crashes. Starting with Automatic Maintenance, which I deleted entirely from my Task Scheduler.
A crash still occurred without any automatic maintenance processes taking place (the aforementioned crash, just above.)

This time I've eliminated the prime suspect, Avast Antivirus and I had a fairly smooth run yesterday, all day, working vigorously within TVP without the sign of any hiccups, but it's hard to actually trigger the crashes, as they are of course unpredictable, so I'm not writing this PC off as fail-safe, yet.

It has yet to crash while it is "Offline", which is the only "safe mode" currently, so it's definitely something that happens while receiving data in some manner.

Again thank you for your help! I really appreciate it. :D
Since my initial post, I've taken much more cautious steps with my work:
  • I've enabled TVP to save Backups (2)
  • I've begun to cut bigger projects into smaller portions in separate files to limit loss of any kind. (this also gives a much better ease of access to the parts I wish to work on)
  • I've purchased a cheap but sufficient External HDD to backup files through File History and backup copies.
  • Incidentally! I've grown a little bit more determined!
'I has confused!'