Question about Wacom driver

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
D.T. Nethery

Question about Wacom driver

Post by D.T. Nethery »

One of the artists working remotely on the production I am coordinating is using an older computer , running Windows 7. He has TVPaint 11 Standard 32bits , with a Cintiq 21 UX tablet. He was having some odd issues with his Wacom stylus when drawing in TVPaint , so I suggested that he make sure that he has the latest Wacom driver installed. He installed the latest Wacom driver from the Wacom support site:

http://www.wacom.com/en-us/support/prod ... rt/drivers

version 6.3.21-10 for Windows 7,8,10 (for the Cintiq 21UX) , but NOW his stylus will not draw at all in TVPaint. It was working before he installed the driver version
6.3.21-10 . I'm on Mac, so it's difficult for me to help him figure out the issue. Do any of you who are familiar with Windows know if there is a better driver that he should be using (for Windows 7 ) instead of 6.3.21-10 which is listed on the Wacom site as the most up to date driver (released 04/06/2017) ? In the past I know that there have been times when an older Wacom driver for Mac worked better than the current version listed for Mac , so I'm wondering if there is something similar here. If he reverts back to an older Wacom driver for Windows 7 , which one should it be ? Or do we just have to play the 'trial and error' game of installing older drivers until we find one that works ?

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
Fabrice

Re: Question about Wacom driver

Post by Fabrice »

Quite strange, I will try the latest Wacom drivers this evening on my Windows 7 home computer.
One thing he can try is to switch between Ink and Wintab in the preferences (this option is windows specific)
Fabrice Debarge
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Fabrice wrote: 09 May 2017, 12:43 Quite strange, I will try the latest Wacom drivers this evening on my Windows 7 home computer.
One thing he can try is to switch between Ink and Wintab in the preferences (this option is windows specific)
At the moment I think he has Wintab enabled . Are you saying that he should switch to Ink ?

Or it is possible that he had Wintab enabled on the older version of TVPaint he had installed (he had installed 11.0.0 from the installation disc he was provide with , but I advised him to update to 11.0.6 ) ... so maybe when he updated to 11.0.6 the Wintab is no longer selected in Preferences ? I will ask him ...

But in general is Wintab preferred over Ink or is Ink better ?

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

But in general is Wintab preferred over Ink or is Ink better ?
That's two ways to manage the signals received by the tablet, so changing could help to figure out what happened.
None of them is better, they just work differently.
Fabrice Debarge
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

very strange : the latest drivers Wacom can't find my Intuos3 Tablet on my home Windows7 computer ... even Windows refuses to recognize the tablet (and I even didn't start TVPaint at all yet !)
I'm now trying to switch back to my older drivers (the good old 6.3.11 which are just enough for my basic home use).
Fabrice Debarge
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

argh ... my 2 tablets are not recognized anymore now, even after suppressing the recent drivers and reinstalling my old drivers.
I'm investigating : such a mess in the Windows registery ... it keeps informations from both drivers versions. That's everything but clean code Wacom !
Fabrice Debarge
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

ok, it works using older drivers after a deep clean of everything related to Wacom in my Windows registery (I more or less removed everything containing "Wacom").
It was pretty risky regarding the stability of the system, so if I need to restore a system backup after all this because of instability, I will post again later to let you know.

Sorry David, I couldn't be of a great help.
I can just confirm I had problems with the latest Wacom drivers (6.3.21-10) on my Windows 7 Professionnal + my old Intuos3.

My suggestion would be to downgrade the drivers, but not with too old ones ( like I did ).
I also guess the problem is probably not linked to TVPaint (I had it with all my installed software + the windows desktop).
Fabrice Debarge