Question about Storyboarding in TVPaint Standard Topic is solved

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
D.T. Nethery

Question about Storyboarding in TVPaint Standard

Post by D.T. Nethery »

HI, TVPaint Dev Team -

I hope this is the right place for this question . I'm asking this question for a student who is wondering if he should buy TVPaint Standard edition (which I don't have) or TVPaint Pro. I recommend TVPaint Pro, but he is on a student's budget and is trying to not spend any more money than is necessary right now ... I have TVPaint Pro , so I don't know exactly how the TVPaint Standard interface and functionality may differ (except I know that certain tools like the Camera Tool or CTG layers , which are only in TVPaint Pro , are greyed-out and not available for TVPaint Standard users ) .

The student is asking specifically about storyboard and animatic function in TVPaint Standard :
"Can I make a Storyboard and Animatic with different Scenes (Clips) in TVPaint Standard or is this function only available in TVPaint Pro ?"

It's a bit confusing for me to answer because when I go to the User Manual section about Storyboard , the first page about 'Create a Storyboard' is marked as TVPAINT PRO , which
gives the impression that the Storyboard feature is not available for TVPaint Standard. This is what the student is concerned about (his impression from reading the user manual page was that to make a Storyboard/Animatic project he can only do that in TVPaint Pro, but not in TVPaint Standard ... )

https://www.tvpaint.com/doc/tvp11/index ... ate-define
Create and Define Storyboard Project in TVP.jpg
The User Manual sections on 'Give a duration to your Clips' and 'Add Sound' are marked PRO , which also gives the impression that the Storyboard clips and adding Sound are only
available in TVPaint Pro , but not in TVPaint Standard.

However, in the Comparison Chart between TVPaint Pro and TVPaint Standard it says that BOTH TVPaint Pro and TVPaint Standard have

- Projects tab / display
- New Project tab (storyboard feature)
TVPaint Pro and Standard Comparison.jpg
https://www.tvpaint.com/v2/files//produ ... arison.pdf

So this makes me believe that the answer is: YES , you can create a Storyboard and Animatic with different Clips (in the Projects display tab) in TVPaint Standard , but you do NOT have access to the Camera Tool , however other than that you can make an Animatic.

Is this correct ? (if that is correct I think the User Manual could be clearer on the point that making a Storyboard/Animatic with different Clips IS available for both TVPaint Standard and TVPaint Pro , however the function of Camera Tool and Multiple Audio Tracks is in TVPaint Pro only .)

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
slowtiger

Re: Question about Storyboarding in TVPaint Standard

Post by slowtiger »

Different clips in one project are a Pro feature only. You can, however, open any project with more than one clip in Debut as well.
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
schwarzgrau

Post by schwarzgrau »

Are you sure different clips in one project are a pro feature? I never used TVPaint 11 STD, but on TVPaint 10 STD you could create multiple clips in one project. If I remember correctly the problem was you could't export a storyboard-PDF in the standard version.
Windows 11 22H2 / TVP 11.7.0 PRO WIBU / Cintiq 22HD
Windows 11 22H2 / TVP 11.7.0 PRO WIBU / Mobile Studio Pro 16" (2019)
Android 13 / TVP 11.7.0 / Galaxy Tab 7 FE
INSTAGRAM
o0Ampy0o

Post by o0Ampy0o »

schwarzgrau wrote: 28 May 2017, 14:38 Are you sure different clips in one project are a pro feature? I never used TVPaint 11 STD, but on TVPaint 10 STD you could create multiple clips in one project. If I remember correctly the problem was you could't export a storyboard-PDF in the standard version.
Looks like complete storyboard export in any file form is not possible with Standard, (only pieces "clips"):
Attachments
Storyboard Features.jpg
Main System: Mac Mini running OS X: Big Sur | M1 | 16GB RAM | have not installed TVPaint on new M1 need to update to current as of 9/2022 ...pending non-dongle license 1/2023 | iPad Pro, Apple Pencil and Astropad | Wacom Intros Pro
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

Ampy has given the good answer !

In a nutshell : both editions can make storyboards, but the standard edition is very limited (no camera, no text field (limited to thumbail view), no possibilty to read storyboard as an animatic, no publishing, no soundtracks).