Why AntiAliasing on transform tools?

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
NathanOtano

Why AntiAliasing on transform tools?

Post by NathanOtano »

Hey!
Was just thinking about it : why do we have an antialisaing option on transform tools? I mean, an aliased stroke will end up aliased anyway and AA would be needed only when an aliased stroke is transformed and we want a non-aliased stroke at the end.
But why would we need antialiasing on any transform (scale/rotate/translate)? I could run more tests but for me it just ads an unecessary degradation on my image

EDIT : Running more tests, indeed while reducing a line, some strokes are smoother. But the point was that, especially while zooming a textured brush, it often looks better without antialiasing. Maybe AA is more obvious using photographies? So I guess you just have to choose if AA is suited to your case or not, and that's why the "medium" parameter is here I suppose. And even for smooth lines medium is often better, and I see it's the parameter in the smart option. So maybe "best" isn't the best name, "hard" could be more suited.

Nathan
Working on Windows 10
Creator of Disnosc, providing storyboard, animation and design for 2D realistic pictural animation: https://www.disnosc.fr/ - nathanotano@disnosc.fr
Highly interested in animation workflows, I'm open to scripting new TVP functions for individuals and studios.