UHD Display and higher res Icons [resolved] Topic is solved

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
Svengali

UHD Display and higher res Icons [resolved]

Post by Svengali »

After changing to a a 4K display the standard icons are too small (for my old eyes anyway).
So, in Preferences > Resolution scaling, I've chosen 2 instead of 1, which boosts all the system icons and my custom icons to double the resolution. Somehow, my original, category 1 icon designs appear to gain in definition when I choose 2 instead of 1 - easier to read, better quality color and edges. How does it do that?

So I have two questions about these hi-res versions of the icons.

1. When I create new icons and attach them onto NEW buttons, the icon is 1/2 size set in the center of the button while in the Button Editor Popup. Then, when I exit the Button Editor, the icon fills the surface of the button. So, no problem. But when I look at the system dimension of the system icons, it seems that there are three sets. 23x23 which are category 1, 46x46 which are category two (indicated by the x2 in their names), and 69x69 which are category 3 (indicated by the x3 in their names).

Question is, how can I force my buttons to use category two icons I create?

2. Preferences > Resolution scaling, setting 2 also seems to automatically use the "x2" system buttons which all appear to have been separately designed in higher definition - the x2 and x3 icons have a better clarity and color.

Question here is, If I want to replace some of the x2 System icons with my own designs, can I simply swap in new icon images that are 46x46. When I try that, my replacement icons (using the same name as the original x2 icons) don't load when I restart TVPaint. What's the secret?

Bonus question: Finally, I remember in older versions of TVPaint that you could actually assign readable names to custom icons you created and load those instead of the alpha-numeric-salad names that the system now automatically assigns to the custom icons when you apply them in the Button Editor. Is there a strategy for actually assigning real names to icons? What's the secret there?

Svengali
Last edited by Svengali on 26 Jun 2017, 14:09, edited 1 time in total.
TVP Pro 11.0.10-64bit Win10 - 64GB ram -2TB HHD - 256GB SSD - Wacom Cintiq 16, driver 6.3.41-1
Android Tablet: rel. 11, Samsung Galaxy Note10.1 - 32GB with microSD 32GB
Android Tablet: rel. 11.5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S7plus - 128GB with microSD 64GB
Mike

Re: UHD Display and higher res Icons

Post by Mike »

Svengali wrote: 21 Jun 2017, 20:28 Question is, how can I force my buttons to use category two icons I create?
For custom panels, you can't.
Custom panels only stretch icons to fit the button size.
It's quite difficult to make working the same way as the system icons, because custom panel icons are stored inside configuration of each user.
And technically problem apart, when the user exports his custom panel with all icons, he would have to create 2 more icons to manage other scalings (not really user friendly)
Svengali wrote: 21 Jun 2017, 20:28 Question here is, If I want to replace some of the x2 System icons with my own designs, can I simply swap in new icon images that are 46x46. When I try that, my replacement icons (using the same name as the original x2 icons) don't load when I restart TVPaint. What's the secret?
It works, but you probably changed the wrong icons set.
The folders icons/light and icons/dark refer to the icons themselves and not the color scheme.
The dark color scheme uses the light icons set, and vice versa.
(an icons set may be used with several color scheme)
Svengali wrote: 21 Jun 2017, 20:28 Bonus question: Finally, I remember in older versions of TVPaint that you could actually assign readable names to custom icons you created and load those instead of the alpha-numeric-salad names that the system now automatically assigns to the custom icons when you apply them in the Button Editor. Is there a strategy for actually assigning real names to icons? What's the secret there?
Not really
But maybe all you need is an additional button [File] next to [ List][Tool][A Color] ?
TVPaint Team
Svengali

Post by Svengali »

Thanks Mike,
Based on your replies, I'll try a few things and see if I can get them working.

And I very much like your idea of modifying/expanding the custom button popup options to include [File] when assigning an icon image to a button (new or existing)!

Sven

EDIT: Just to follow up - the problem with my replacement system icons was improper renaming: I left out the "-" in "-x2" replacement icon names. :oops:.
TVP Pro 11.0.10-64bit Win10 - 64GB ram -2TB HHD - 256GB SSD - Wacom Cintiq 16, driver 6.3.41-1
Android Tablet: rel. 11, Samsung Galaxy Note10.1 - 32GB with microSD 32GB
Android Tablet: rel. 11.5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S7plus - 128GB with microSD 64GB
Mike

Post by Mike »

Svengali wrote: 24 Jun 2017, 15:46 And I very much like your idea of modifying/expanding the custom button popup options to include [File] when assigning an icon image to a button (new or existing)!
Added in our TODO list.
TVPaint Team