Change the hotkey for zooming for use with iPad Pro Topic is solved

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
Agris

Change the hotkey for zooming for use with iPad Pro

Post by Agris »

Hello, I recently bought iPad pro to replace my Intuos Pro. :) I didn't buy it only for tvpaint, but also photoshop and just sketching on the go. I can say that I really like using it with TVPaint, because it allows to crop just a part of the screen (the drawing area). The whole screen including timeline I see on my other screen. I really like the experience.

But there is one thing that is left that I'm not completely satisfied yet :D - I can't find how to make possible to zoom, like it was possible with Wacom - Right click + Alt style... As iPad pencil doesn't have buttons there is only left click possible. I tried to to bind "right mouse button" to Z, so Alt + Z should work, but it didn't. It would be perfect to make it work for example with Ctrl+left mouse click, so alt is for panning and ctrl for zoom. As I understand it's not possible to do it via edit->shortcuts, but maybe there is some secret preferences file that I could edit?

I'm now using the incremental zooming with keyboard, but It's not the same, it's not as precise and doesn't feel that good.

If it's not possible, then maybe my next step will be searching for an app for Mac OS, to emulate right mouse click with keyboard :D but I'd love to solve it in TVP.

Thanks in advance,
Agris
Elodie

Re: Change the hotkey for zooming for use with iPad Pro

Post by Elodie »

Welcome here !

Unfortunately, shortcuts linked to Alt key (pan, zoom, rotate) cannot be changed. It's sort of the corner stone of TVPaint Animation : I know it sounds odd (even to me...), but it would impact the rest of the software...
meslin

Post by meslin »

This is a job for ControllerMate. Easy to use and works great with no noticeable performance hit. $25.
http://www.orderedbytes.com
schwarzgrau

Post by schwarzgrau »

If you don't need much shortcut changes you can also try it's free version, but it's worth the $25
Windows 11 22H2 / TVP 11.7.0 PRO WIBU / Cintiq 22HD
Windows 11 22H2 / TVP 11.7.0 PRO WIBU / Mobile Studio Pro 16" (2019)
Android 13 / TVP 11.7.0 / Galaxy Tab 7 FE
INSTAGRAM
o0Ampy0o

Post by o0Ampy0o »

Or just use both so you keep that function. I have an Intuos Pro on the right side of my desk. If for nothing else, sometimes I like to use it alternately with the iPad Pro.
Main System: Mac Mini running OS X: Big Sur | M1 | 16GB RAM | have not installed TVPaint on new M1 need to update to current as of 9/2022 ...pending non-dongle license 1/2023 | iPad Pro, Apple Pencil and Astropad | Wacom Intros Pro
Agris

Post by Agris »

meslin wrote: 26 Jun 2017, 14:31 This is a job for ControllerMate. Easy to use and works great with no noticeable performance hit. $25.
http://www.orderedbytes.com
Thanks for the tip!! definitely will check this out!
Peter Wassink

Post by Peter Wassink »

Does anyone know of a controlermate alternative for windows?
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM
NathanOtano

Post by NathanOtano »

Autohotkey or Glovepie maybe?
Working on Windows 10
Creator of Disnosc, providing storyboard, animation and design for 2D realistic pictural animation: https://www.disnosc.fr/ - nathanotano@disnosc.fr
Highly interested in animation workflows, I'm open to scripting new TVP functions for individuals and studios.
Soom

Post by Soom »

HI guys
first thing - did you ever try using Wacom Intuos or Bamboo pen 2? they claim that they work with iPad and they have a right click button...
I am actually looking into buying iPad Pro and I would like to hear more about your general experiences using it with TVPaint - could you enlighten me a little bit more? thanks
at home: Hackintosh Intel Core i9-9900K, GPU AMD RX 6600 8GB, Cintiq 22" + Dell P2415Q 4K displays, MAC OS High Sierra / Windows 10, TVP Pro 11.7.1 + TVP Pro beta
at work: Windows 10, TVP 11.7.1 Std
https://vimeo.com/danas
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

Personally, I did not really enjoy the experience using astropad. It works, but not so well (lines can be a little jagged, their might have a delay between your stroke and the line). I liked how thing the stylus is, but not the way you are supposed to recharge it.

If you need to work daily, I would rather use a Cintiq 13", IMHO.
o0Ampy0o

Post by o0Ampy0o »

Soom wrote: 28 Jun 2017, 10:45 HI guys
first thing - did you ever try using Wacom Intuos or Bamboo pen 2? they claim that they work with iPad and they have a right click button...
I am actually looking into buying iPad Pro and I would like to hear more about your general experiences using it with TVPaint - could you enlighten me a little bit more? thanks
Have you read that this works well with an iPad? I had not heard this and immediately did some quick Googling only turning up how a Wacom (Stylus 2) pen does not work that great with an iPad. But it was just a quick search and reading different threads for a few minutes.

I am just a hobbyist. If I had to work on something all day and everyday I would be willing to spend more which would make the Cintiqs more viable. I would have been very interested in an updated 22HD. I considered the 22HD but the price for the old technology was a factor encouraging me to look for something else. The 27QHD is too large and expensive for me. So I ordered a 13HD but I was ready to send it back by the time it arrived. I never opened the box or tried it before I returned it. The new mobile Cintiqs had not been announced but I would not have a need to invest extra money in the portability.

I have not tried a Cintiq. Only based on reading what people say I suspect it feels better than how my iPad Pro/Apple Pencil feels but I am happy with the other benefits of the iPad Pro set up. A Cintiq has a cumbersome cable and bezel/stand that I do not like at all. I cannot say from experience but I have read that they generate heat, at least more than an iPad Pro which is next to none. The iPad Pro has a very vivid screen while the 22HD at least has been noted for its less than vibrant color. One other advantage is that there is no parallax with the iPad Pro/Apple Pencil.

As far as charging the Apple Pen, they come with a Thunderbolt/USB cable. I keep it connected to a powered USB portal when it is not being used. The only time I plug the pencil directly into the Thunderbolt jack on the iPad is briefly when it needs to be paired.

The new iPad Pro 2 is much faster and has an even more vibrant screen. In videos comparing the previous and new iPad Pros it is clear that they have eliminated the slight latency. It is so minimal that it is not really even a problem. In the video I watched the guy had to show the footage in slow motion in order to see the difference so they are both adequate it is just that the iPad 2 it much faster when drawing with the Apple Pencil. In practice any fraction of a second latency is not significant enough to detract me.

If there are any stores that have the iPad Pro on display to demo with an Apple Pencil it would be worth trying there first. I was fortunate to have this available. Upon trying it I immediately knew I could become accustomed to the feel.

I could not think of any other reason to get an iPad. It would have prompted my decision. It was not until after I had one that I discovered other things I could do with it. Probably the single most valuable is being able to watch video tutorials anytime I have a spare moment. But I bought a 2nd and smaller iPad Pro to carry around. The 12.9 was too large but has been good as a Cintiq-like device.
Main System: Mac Mini running OS X: Big Sur | M1 | 16GB RAM | have not installed TVPaint on new M1 need to update to current as of 9/2022 ...pending non-dongle license 1/2023 | iPad Pro, Apple Pencil and Astropad | Wacom Intros Pro
Soom

Post by Soom »

Thank you for this insight! It's pretty useful to keep in mind. I also read that other pens are not good with iPad - too slow apparently. Unfortunately it's almost impossible to test in a shop, since I need to test iPad's "cintiq mode" with a different pen, but I will keep researching. I have a 21" Cintiq, but I need something portable on the go, if by chance I need to take work with me. Older Cintiqs are a bit cumbersome, and new ones are extremely expensive. I had a Toshiba Encore 2 tablet with Wacom-like functions, which worked pretty Ok with TVPaint (and it was all in one device!) compared to it's price, but it was stolen, and it's not produced any more, and I am searching for any other better, but not too expensive alternative. Toshiba had Mobile Windows 10 on it, and it was a bit of a nightmare as a tablet, but at least I could run TVP on it :)
at home: Hackintosh Intel Core i9-9900K, GPU AMD RX 6600 8GB, Cintiq 22" + Dell P2415Q 4K displays, MAC OS High Sierra / Windows 10, TVP Pro 11.7.1 + TVP Pro beta
at work: Windows 10, TVP 11.7.1 Std
https://vimeo.com/danas
Agris

Post by Agris »

I know this thread is pretty oldie. But it's been almost year since I bought iPad Pro and I can tell that this device at least for me works really good in TVP. I use Astropad Pro (monthly paid version). The only downside still is - I can zoom only with keyboard. Other than that - I think it's perfect. I mirror only part of my screen - the drawing space. All keyframe fiddling I do on my bigger screen. So I get pretty decent space for drawing. I don't get any wiggly lines and when ipad connected with cable not wifi - speed is not issue too. For mobile animating (and even in studio) really good value. I don't use TVP daily, but I've finished few TVP projects and it works! Way better experience than my old intuos.
meslin

Post by meslin »

What do you want to do to zoom in via Astropad? Press a non-standard hotkey?
If you're desiring to pinch/spread to zoom in and out, then that's probably unlikely.
I have a similar setup (iPad Pro via Astropad) available.
I can set up a Controllermate script for you and you can use the free Controllermate to run it.

-David
Agris

Post by Agris »

Hey, Thanks for your reply. Thanks to You i finally purchased Controllermate and after 15 minutes of fiddling I enabled right mouse button support for my iPad and now I'm able to zoom with alt , and do other stuff exclusive to right mouse button in TVP. Thanks.
meslin wrote: 29 Apr 2018, 00:05 What do you want to do to zoom in via Astropad? Press a non-standard hotkey?
If you're desiring to pinch/spread to zoom in and out, then that's probably unlikely.
I have a similar setup (iPad Pro via Astropad) available.
I can set up a Controllermate script for you and you can use the free Controllermate to run it.

-David