How to compile scenes into a short film?

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
cyrus rebello

How to compile scenes into a short film?

Post by cyrus rebello »

Tvpaint lags alot when things are on 1s, both skrubbing and playback, so the procedure that I used, was to get all the frames of the animatic that need to be animated, into another new seperate project, and then animate that then export it and import it back into the anamatic file, optop of the respective frames in the animatic that were copied

But the problem that comes in with this procedure is that tvpaint lags a lot, especially since the imported video is in 1s, and more videos combined also ontop of the anamatic ,which are also on 1s causes massive lag, lag in general as skrubbing and previewing

(Massive lag causes tvpaint to crash)

All the proxy settings don't help either (for previewing) honestly, I dont notice a difference between force render proxy and without (not to mention force render takes a lot, lot lot of time, like 6 minutes, I'm not even exaggerating here)

So my question is, if not this way, then how must one go about putting their animated scenes that were taken out of the anamatic and compose all of them together in one big file?

I'm trying to do it all in tvpaint of course, but if I do need a editing software, how would uou go about doing it in that then?

Not to mention In future projects I need to do lip syncing , so how will I take scenes out of the anamatic (the anamatic has audio) and lip sync to the audio? Keep in mind that this is large scale projects im talking about so chopping up audio in small bits will just be a complete nightmare

I'd love to hear how you all go about in your procedures, lip sync included
slowtiger

Re: How to compile scenes into a short film?

Post by slowtiger »

Video editing programs are optimized to play back video at the intended speed, even in full resolution (they use a proxy renderer for this as well). Animation programs are not. Video software relys on material which is already rendered flat (no layers) and comfortably sits on the disc. Animation software has to deal with a multitude of layers in full resolution, frame by frame, without compression, and several internal copies for undo, all in memory.

An animatic usually sits in the video editor. Here's the place to bring drawings, dialogue, and finished scenes together.

You can use TVP to create the animatic, especially if you draw right away. But after that you should keep the animatic in the video editor. That's the way professionals do it.
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
cyrus rebello

Post by cyrus rebello »

That's all good and all, I will professionally put it in an external third party editing software (the anamatic), but how will you sync the audio with the anamatic's picture IN tvpaint? Like I said, lip syncing and etc on a specific part of the audio of the anamatic

So how will I do this?

I use a Dell, 4 GB and a standard Razor graphics card, as all the information I can remember while im currently out right now in a cafe with my team discussing our writing and scripts, so more detailed information I will deliver a bit later by PC

The set in stone problem I face is only this, the audio is one giant anamatic one, each scene needs to follow the audio timely, and lip syncing needs to observe and skrub through audio thoroughly, so how will you go about doing this now?

PS: thanks for the knowledge and advice slow tiger, I never knew that kinda stuff, pretty informative
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

OK, I assume it's a longer project, 5 min or 10 min at least? Well, in the olden days we had an intern in the studio who was sentenced to edit the audio scene by scene... and today it's the same, only I have to do it myself.

No matter which animation software, each scene given out to an animator contains only the stuff of 1 scene: animatic (as a small video insert placed in one corner), BG sketch, character keys, audio for the scene. When I did stuff for other studios, the animatic also contained the sound. If the audio overlaps with other scenes, it's edited down to complete sentences, the beginning and end of the scene would be clear from the animatic.

Your workflow would be: edit the animatic, and when finished, export scene by scene into videos with sound. You don't export full resolution video files, just big enough to be readable (for HDTV, about 500 px wide would do). It might be necessary (depends on your material) to export separate dialogue tracks for easier lypsinc.

Of course you already have a naming scheme for all your little files on the server, and a working backup plan ...
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
cyrus rebello

Post by cyrus rebello »

slowtiger wrote: 12 Jul 2017, 16:41 OK, I assume it's a longer project, 5 min or 10 min at least? Well, in the olden days we had an intern in the studio who was sentenced to edit the audio scene by scene... and today it's the same, only I have to do it myself.

No matter which animation software, each scene given out to an animator contains only the stuff of 1 scene: animatic (as a small video insert placed in one corner), BG sketch, character keys, audio for the scene. When I did stuff for other studios, the animatic also contained the sound. If the audio overlaps with other scenes, it's edited down to complete sentences, the beginning and end of the scene would be clear from the animatic.

Your workflow would be: edit the animatic, and when finished, export scene by scene into videos with sound. You don't export full resolution video files, just big enough to be readable (for HDTV, about 500 px wide would do). It might be necessary (depends on your material) to export separate dialogue tracks for easier lypsinc.

Of course you already have a naming scheme for all your little files on the server, and a working backup plan ...

That would mean assuming I have audio editing software for dialogs, like audacity

This procedure maybe hectic, but it's the most easiest it way it can be

Also I'd like to thank you for your idea of an anamatic, greatly fixes the lag problem aswell

Overall, thank you for everything slow tiger