how to use len fare in FX menu :/

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
lam giang

how to use len fare in FX menu :/

Post by lam giang »

I try to use lens flare in FX menu. Some how I just can't figure out how to do it. I used previous but I am not seeing anything. And what is obscuration layer? Thank you and attached is my screen shot.

Appreciate you help :D
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-07-19 at 10.14.54 AM.png
o0Ampy0o

Re: how to use len fare in FX menu :/

Post by o0Ampy0o »

I believe you are not seeing a lens flare because you do not have one set up. Looking at your screen image there is nothing in the Lens Flare box. You click on the inverted pyramid and load one of the three options as a base: (=> New => Generic, Streaks, Image) then customize the various parameters. I was able to produce a lens flare without reading the user guide. It will take a lot of experimentation to understand how each parameter changes the effect though.

The Obsuration Layer is like a mask. It blocks the effect. If you had a character walk between the camera and the flared light you would need to block the effect wherever the character was positioned. In the user guide example they describe the phenomenon of an eclipse where a planet blocks the viewer from seeing the flare in full view. https://www.tvpaint.com/doc/tvp11/index ... lens-flare
Last edited by o0Ampy0o on 20 Jul 2017, 05:53, edited 1 time in total.
Main System: Mac Mini running OS X: Big Sur | M1 | 16GB RAM | have not installed TVPaint on new M1 need to update to current as of 9/2022 ...pending non-dongle license 1/2023 | iPad Pro, Apple Pencil and Astropad | Wacom Intros Pro
lam giang

Post by lam giang »

o0Ampy0o wrote: 20 Jul 2017, 03:27 The Obsuration Layer is like a mask. It blocks the effect.

If you had a character walk between the camera and the flared light you would need to block the effect wherever the character was positioned.

In the User Guide example they describe the phenomenon of an eclipse where a planet blocks the viewer from seeing the flare in full view.

https://www.tvpaint.com/doc/tvp11/index ... lens-flare
Thank you! I missed the the PDF tutorial.
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

In your defence, it's not the easiest FX to use :roll:
o0Ampy0o

Post by o0Ampy0o »

lam giang wrote: 20 Jul 2017, 05:50
o0Ampy0o wrote: 20 Jul 2017, 03:27 The Obsuration Layer is like a mask. It blocks the effect.

If you had a character walk between the camera and the flared light you would need to block the effect wherever the character was positioned.

In the User Guide example they describe the phenomenon of an eclipse where a planet blocks the viewer from seeing the flare in full view.

https://www.tvpaint.com/doc/tvp11/index ... lens-flare
Thank you! I missed the the PDF tutorial.
I was editing my post to add a little bit more information while you were posting.

I did not mean to suggest I found it easy to produce a lens flare because it was simple. I just went down the list in the FX window and clicked things to see what they lead to. The lens flare I produced was created by TVPaint and I just loaded it. If I had to create one exactly how I imagined one I could not do it without reading and experimenting a lot more.

Good luck and PLEASE post your results when you are done.
Main System: Mac Mini running OS X: Big Sur | M1 | 16GB RAM | have not installed TVPaint on new M1 need to update to current as of 9/2022 ...pending non-dongle license 1/2023 | iPad Pro, Apple Pencil and Astropad | Wacom Intros Pro
lam giang

Post by lam giang »

yes, I will update it once I have the scene works out! Crossing my figures!
lam giang

Post by lam giang »

Hello TVP buddies :)

Just an update on my lens flare test, I didn't end up using the lens flare FX at TVP.
I created two pngs for the lens flare effect (sun light and circle bubbles), keyed them at different movements and set them to overlay.
On the bus, I hand-animated the light travels the top of the bus, vary it in sizes.
Please point out/give me feedback, if something doesn't look right or could be better.

Attachments
Scene51_400pixel.gif
Scene51_400pixel.gif (7.22 MiB) Viewed 30971 times
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

lam giang wrote: 27 Jul 2017, 20:24 Hello TVP buddies :)

Just an update on my lens flare test, I didn't end up using the lens flare FX at TVP.

I created two pngs for the lens flare effect (sun light and circle bubbles), keyed them at different movements and set them to overlay.
On the bus, I hand-animated the light travels the top of the bus, vary it in sizes.
Please point out/give me feedback, if something doesn't look right or could be better.

It looks very good ! Thanks for sharing your artwork and the process you used to make it .

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
lam giang

Post by lam giang »

You are welcome! :D
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

I agree with David, the result is amazing and I find it more genuine than a tradition "lens flare". I can't wait to see the whole film :D
lam giang

Post by lam giang »

Thanks you both!
:D
o0Ampy0o

Post by o0Ampy0o »

Liam,

The flare came out beautiful and the scene is consistent with the beauty in all of your artwork.
lam giang

Post by lam giang »

o0Ampy0o wrote: 29 Jul 2017, 04:42 Liam,

The flare came out beautiful and the scene is consistent with the beauty in all of your artwork.

Thank you for your very nice comment! They put me on cloud 9 now :D...
I do need to put myself on the ground again and keep working.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

It definitely looks greta, but if I may nitpick a bit: all lens flares from the same light source have to be on one straight line, because they're all caused from the same lens. You only have scattered flares if you also have multiple light sources.
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
lam giang

Post by lam giang »

slowtiger wrote: 29 Jul 2017, 15:39 It definitely looks greta, but if I may nitpick a bit: all lens flares from the same light source have to be on one straight line, because they're all caused from the same lens. You only have scattered flares if you also have multiple light sources.
Oh...ok, I will do more research on that, thanks! :)
I also got some really good feedback from fellow animators at work about parallaxing.