Cursor offset while using dual screens

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
spyderheart

Cursor offset while using dual screens

Post by spyderheart »

Hi/Salut TVpaint community :mrgreen:

I'm having an issue using TVPaint on my Vaio Z Canvas in a dual screen setup. Namely, the cursor is interacting at an offset from the pen in the TVPaint window while the second monitor is connected.
I have reason to believe this is not necessarily a TVPaint bug, as other apps such as Krita show a similar problem. However it seems that Krita has built a workaround into their app: https://docs.krita.org/KritaFAQ#How_to_ ... on_Windows. I have also come across references online to this being a broader issue for GTK/GTK+ based programs but my understanding of this is limited and I don't know if it applies to TVPaint

Regardless, I'm looking for a fix! Are there any known solutions or workarounds in the TVpaint community? Can the developers advise?

Here are my observations:

1.When a secondary monitor is attached to my tablet PC (see below for specs), and I use TVPaint on the tablet PC screen, the cursor interacts at a substantial offset from where the pen touches the screen.
2. The cursor interaction is correct and normal when using mouse, touch, or trackpad.
3. The pen offset is always precisely in the direction of the secondary monitor, however it is configured in extended desktop mode in display settings (by right-clicking the desktop > display settings)
4. The offset is not restricted to the drawing area - even to click a button in the UI the pen is offset.
5. The size of the offset appears to get bigger as I move the pen in the direction of the secondary monitor - giving it a scale factor appearance rather than a static offset.
6. DPI scale in windows settings has no effect - the issue remains (tried at 200 and 100)
7. It only happens inside the TVPaint window or inside the window of any app that's affected (e.g. Krita)
8. The problem only occurs while I am using Wintab with "subpixel" selected. If I uncheck "subpixel" or switch to "Ink", The problem goes away. So this may seem like a no-brainer - however there are other advantages to using wintab and subpixel that I'd rather not abandon.
9. My secondary monitor is an LG Flatron W2253V - 1920 x 1080 with drivers up to date.

Thank you very much for any help ! :lol:
David
--------------------------------------------------------
TVPaint 11.7 Standard
System: 64GB RAM // 3 TB SSD // Core i7 8700K // NVIDIA GTX 1080// Windows 10 Home
Fabrice

Re: Cursor offset while using dual screens

Post by Fabrice »

what is the Vaio Z Canvas definition ?
Fabrice Debarge
spyderheart

Post by spyderheart »

Hi Fabrice,
The Z Canvas resolution is 2560 x 1704.
I tried setting the Z canvas display to 1920 x 1080 to match the secondary monitor - no change unfortunately.
David
TVPaint 11.7 Standard
System: 64GB RAM // 3 TB SSD // Core i7 8700K // NVIDIA GTX 1080// Windows 10 Home
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

What technology does Vaio use ? Is it Wacom technology or something else ?
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

If I remember well, it's N-Trig (like surface pro, HP Spectre, etc.)
Fabrice Debarge
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

So, Wintab mode should not be used, but Ink mode instead.
spyderheart

Post by spyderheart »

Yes it is an N-trig digitizer.

Going to "ink" solves the problem, as does using "wintab" while simply unchecking "subPixel" .
In fact I would not have posted if I wasn't somewhat attached to using Wintab with SubPixel... but perhaps that attachment is my real issue ?

I'm aware I might be making some assumptions and am very open to having them corrected - so here are my reasons for wanting to stick with Wintab/Subpixel:

1. With Ink, I lose the ability to use Alt - right drag to zoom in and out. I've seen other posts related to this where the solution was to map a key to the right button. As far as I can tell this still doesn't enable alt + right drag zoom. So I have tried to stick with Wintab.
2. I have installed a wintab driver that is distributed by microsoft. I believe I am seeing better drawing accuracy in TVPaint with this method - but that might be a bit of a placebo effect. Is there any reason to believe that wintab is better accuracy than ink?
3. Finally another belief: that SubPixel is better than no SubPixel- especially if your system can handle it.

please debunk if possible!
David
TVPaint 11.7 Standard
PiotrNikov

Post by PiotrNikov »

spyderheart wrote: 18 Aug 2017, 17:02
1. With Ink, I lose the ability to use Alt - right drag to zoom in and out. I've seen other posts related to this where the solution was to map a key to the right button. As far as I can tell this still doesn't enable alt + right drag zoom. So I have tried to stick with Wintab.
2. I have installed a wintab driver that is distributed by microsoft. I believe I am seeing better drawing accuracy in TVPaint with this method - but that might be a bit of a placebo effect. Is there any reason to believe that wintab is better accuracy than ink?
3. Finally another belief: that SubPixel is better than no SubPixel- especially if your system can handle it.

please debunk if possible!
I have the exact same issue and arrived at the same conclusions.
If one wants to be able to use the ALT + (stylus's) right button to Zoom, then TVPaint has to be configured with Wintab ON and Subpixel UNCHECKED. But the drawn lines aren't as pretty. I tried fiddling around with line smoothing setting but the overall drawing feel isn't the same. Feels slower and less precise.
It'd be cool to have a fix for this :)
Thanks!

Piotr
(Last Win10 - Wacom MobileStudio Pro 16)
Windows 10 Professional 64 - 1709
TVPaint 11.0.8 64bits
Wacom MobileStudio Pro 16
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

I have the exact same issue and arrived at the same conclusions.
hi Piotr, I need more details, especially the TVPaint version in use.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6167

TVPaint version aside, I'm not sure you are talking about the main topic.
Do you also have the offset problem when using a second monitor ? Or do you just focus on Ink/Wintab way of working ?
If you also have the second monitor issue, your MSP 16 has a 4K definition, but what is the second screen definition : 2K, WQHD, 4K ?
Fabrice Debarge
PiotrNikov

Post by PiotrNikov »

Hi Fabrice,
Oops so sorry. Yes I went off topic...
I was just agreeing with the Wintab/Ink issue and the (weird) inability to not be able to Zoom with the stylus's right click button when the Wintab/Subpixel option is selected.
TVPaint 11.0.8 64bits
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

If I'm not wrong, it should work but only if the right click is done while the stylus touches the tablet (and not hovering it).
PiotrNikov

Post by PiotrNikov »

Hi Elodie,

After spending all day yesterday trying every possible combination of hotkeys, screen resolution and Wacom options, I booted up my computer this afternoon to find... everything working.
Zooming with Wintab/Subpixel, Alt/Rightclick works.
Maybe rebooting after changing the Wacom settings made it work.
So sorry. Should have tried it before posting.
And thanks for your answers!

Piotr
TVPaint 11.0.8 64bits
spyderheart

Post by spyderheart »

Hi again,
Elodie is right that Wintab/Subpixel still allows for Alt+RightDrag for zooming.

I am now noticing that unchecking subpixel does not necessarily fix the original problem. I will keep testing this to see if there is some sequence of restarting TVPaint or the computer that makes the behaviour with respect to subpixel more consistent. For now switching to Ink is the only thing that resolves the dual screen offset consistently.

I'd still love to hear the official position on Wintab vs Ink (is there a concrete reason to believe wintab is better?) and subpixel checked vs unchecked. As I've mentioned, I *think* wintab gives me better quality but maybe there is another way to achieve the same quality with Ink?

Thanks!
David
TVPaint 11.7 Standard
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

Basically :

Wintab -> Wacom Drivers
Ink -> not Wacom drivers

Subpixel on -> gives a smooth line even if you zoomed out, but requires the sylus to touch the tablet for right clicking
Subpixel off -> won't give a smooth line when zooming out, but allow hovering right click
mana

Post by mana »

Hi there,

a bit late for the discussion, but I thought I'll just post my experience in case anyone stumbles upon the problem, since it was driving me nuts for hours.

My problem was identical to what David started this thread with: When using a dual monitor setup, with both subpixel and wintab checked, the line I drew was offset towards the second monitor. I believe the problem is caused by different resolution on each monitor. My first monitor is a Wacom Cintiq 24HD Pro 4k (3840x2160), the second is standard full HD (1920x1080) monitor.

The problem persists even if the second monitor is turned off.

The workaround I use is that I have a custom scale set on the monitor with lower resolution (full HD 1920x1080) and then everything works fine. One drawback is that all things like program windows and icons get scaled up on the second monitor, but as I use it only sometimes and for reference only it is not much of a bother.

In TVP11 pro I have no such problem.

hope this saves somebody some time

cheers

Marek