Importing movie files into TvPaint Topic is solved

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
Forrest Crocker

Importing movie files into TvPaint

Post by Forrest Crocker »

Hi there, I'm still learning TvPaint, love it so far, it feels like Sketchbook pro with smooth animation mechanics, but I'm confused on importing outside work into TvPaint including a movie file. The movie file is my degree winning animation but it was made with Adobe After Effects, I'm trying to finish up the credits and intro so it looks professional for my portfolio by importing the video then completing the credits and intro using TvPaint tools. I've got the .mov and the .mp4 but both seem to have issues once imported. The sound works fine but the animation jumps or stops out of place and if I try to stop the video and quit the program everything freezes. Does anyone have any suggestions to a rookie on how to fix this?

Thank you for reading and your time.
Elodie

Re: Importing movie files into TvPaint

Post by Elodie »

Hello ! Please read that topic first and give us more details : http://forum.tvpaint.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6167
Forrest Crocker

My bad!! Been a long work week and forgot my manners. My name is Forrest Crocker and I'm pleased to meet you all and happy to learn from you as well.
The specs:

• What is your OS and its version:
Mac 10.11.6 El Capitan

• What is your OS architecture (32 or 64 bit) + CPU type and amount of RAM:
2.5 GHz intel Core i5 4 GB Ram 1600 MHz DDR3

• What is your software version:
TvPaint Animation 11 Pro

• What is your software edition (Standard or Professional)
Pro

• For the Professional Edition : What is the architecture (32 or 64 bit) ?
64 bit

• What is your Wacom (or other brand) Tablet and drivers version ?
13 inch Cintiq

The project is 2.42 GB, I know it's large but I was completing this project by a strict deadline and with unknown software. I would like to send an example or the video itself but it wont let me send it do to it's size right now, I'll update as soon as I've compressed it properly. If you have anymore questions please feel free to ask and thank you for any help you can provide.
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

Thanks for the details. Is TVPaint up to date ? (11.0.6)
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Forrest Crocker wrote: 27 Aug 2017, 05:21 Hi there, I'm still learning TvPaint, love it so far, it feels like Sketchbook pro with smooth animation mechanics, but I'm confused on importing outside work into TvPaint including a movie file. The movie file is my degree winning animation but it was made with Adobe After Effects, I'm trying to finish up the credits and intro so it looks professional for my portfolio by importing the video then completing the credits and intro using TvPaint tools. I've got the .mov and the .mp4 but both seem to have issues once imported. The sound works fine but the animation jumps or stops out of place and if I try to stop the video and quit the program everything freezes. Does anyone have any suggestions to a rookie on how to fix this?

Thank you for reading and your time.
Hi, Forrest ,

Ordinarily I'm a big advocate of using TVPaint for almost anything (I'm not a big AE user) but in this case for finishing the Main Titles and End Credits , isn't that actually a task better suited for AE ?

But if you want to use TVPaint, here's what I can tell you from my experience:

1.) as Elodie said, be sure your TVPaint version is up-to-date. The latest released version is 11.0.6 . If yours is lower than 11.0.6 , you can get an update here:

https://www.tvpaint.com/en/update

2.) I've been working on a project that is being animated at 4K size and some of my files are very large (2.5 - to - 5 GBs )
In TVPaint Pro 64bits it seems to handle those files ok, even with multiple layers.

Now, I realize you're talking about importing a .mov file into TVPaint , so I tested it just now using a 2.8 GB .mov file (with sound) . It plays ok for me in TVPaint , the sound seems to be in sync. The codec on my imported movie is Apple ProRes 4444 , with the sound encoding as AAC Stereo , sampling rate 48000 kHz .

Here's something to consider: what is the sampling rate on your .mov file you are attempting to import into TVPaint ? Typically the sound sampling rate will be either 41000 kHz or 48000 kHz . (check in Quicktime : Movie Inspector , to see what the codec and sound sampling rate is) .

IMPORTANT: be sure that your sound sampling rate in TVPaint Preferences is set to the same sound sampling rate as your .mov file or the playback may be off. For example if your TVPaint Prefs are set to sound sampling rate of 48000 kHz , but your .mov file is set to 41000 kHz , it might cause the sound to play out of sync. Change the sampling rate in TVPaint Prefs to match the sampling rate of your .mov file .
TVPaint Sound Prefs_Sampling Rate.jpg
TVPaint Sound Prefs_Sampling Rate.jpg (25.55 KiB) Viewed 34623 times
Also, you have to change your configuration of Audio MIDI Setup.app (in Utilities) to match the correct sampling rate (either 41000 kHz or 48000 kHz or whatever sound ampling rate you have in your .mov file) .
Audio MIDI Setup.jpg
Audio MIDI Setup.jpg (76.52 KiB) Viewed 34623 times

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
Forrest Crocker

Hi again and thank you for replying.
Elodie:
It's 11.0.3
D.T. Nethery
I used AE through my Universities computers so I don't have the software myself. And your right my software is 11.0.3 so I need to update. I never considered the sampling rate.

I'll get back to y'all as soon as I update and try this out. Thanks again.
Forrest Crocker

Nah, didn't work. It wasn't the sound that was the problem really, the problem was the fact that the the animation was skipping and wasn't fluid. I've checked the frame rate for the movie and it's 32 fps but it still skips in Tvpaint. Should I lower the movie file memory?
Forrest Crocker

Well this is embarrassing. Lowered the movie file memory a ways and the aggravating thing finally works in TvPaint. Sorry and thank you for y'alls help and suggestions.
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

Did you finally update ?
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Forrest Crocker wrote: 30 Aug 2017, 15:17 I've checked the frame rate for the movie and it's 32 fps but it still skips in Tvpaint.
Why is it 32 fps ? That's an irregular frame rate . Almost everything is made at 24 fps or 30 fps or variations (12 fps = half of 24 fps , 15fps = half of 30fps , 60fps = 2x 30fps )
What venue do you expect to exhibit the film at 32fps ?

Forrest Crocker

Truth is it was automatically set to 32 fps on the AE and Quicktime player, I just worked with it. I've worked on 24 and 32 on many projects, I was told that anything in between the two was irregular though everyone has their opinions of what's best.
Forrest Crocker

Elodie:
Yes, I've updated. Thank you! 8)
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Forrest Crocker wrote: 04 Sep 2017, 02:35 Truth is it was automatically set to 32 fps on the AE and Quicktime player, I just worked with it. I've worked on 24 and 32 on many projects, I was told that anything in between the two was irregular though everyone has their opinions of what's best.
No, sorry, but it's not an "opinion" ... I can assure you that 32 frames per second is not a standard frame rate. I don't believe AE or Quicktime would automatically set that as the frame rate . Here are the list of available frame rates in Quicktime . You will notice that 32 FPS is not among the choices .
Screen Shot 2017-09-03 at 11.45.07 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2017-09-03 at 11.45.07 PM.jpg (63.22 KiB) Viewed 34503 times
24 FPS (film) and 30 FPS (NTSC video ; actually 29.97 FPS ) are standard . There is also 25 FPS which is standard video "frame rate" for European PAL video (setting aside that video doesn't actually have "frames" , but has "fields" ) .

Forrest Crocker

Thank you! Sorry for the late reply and yes your correct. I think it happens somewhere in the import process, course I've noticed this back when I was using 3D. Anyway everything was fixed to a 30 frame rate and all issues were cleared. Happy New Year!