Custom brush info needed

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
kariP

Custom brush info needed

Post by kariP »

Hi all,

I've been fiddling intensively with brushes, and there are some things I still don't understand. I'm hoping to get some more info.

1. Why can't I control Aspect on my custom brush?

Or light, that is included in the Oil Brush? (I have no need for that, but I'm just trying to figure this out. It's hard for me to find logic when there are different adjustments on different brushes.)

2. Is there a way to activate these using sripting?

3. Is it possible to control f.ex hardness of texture (paper) through scripting?

Thank you,
Kari
Windows 10 (64 bit), 8gb ram, intel i5 10400f. TVpaint 11.7
Elodie

Re: Custom brush info needed

Post by Elodie »

kariP wrote: 30 Aug 2017, 13:08 1. Why can't I control Aspect on my custom brush?

Or light, that is included in the Oil Brush? (I have no need for that, but I'm just trying to figure this out. It's hard for me to find logic when there are different adjustments on different brushes.)
Basically, your custom brushes are like stamps : they are made of image and there is no real "engine" made to change this image as soon as it's a brush (no "colour adjust" to increse lights / shadows, change colours, etc..). However, it is possible to manage the ratio or alpha channel through "Edit" button.

Oil brushes are not custom brushes : they are a family of brushes (oil) that have specific settings (like lights). Some settings are available in several families, some settings are not.
For instance, mechanical pencil is a 1px large tool and so, you cannot change its size.
kariP wrote: 30 Aug 2017, 13:08
2. Is there a way to activate these using sripting?

3. Is it possible to control f.ex hardness of texture (paper) through scripting?
I am very bad at scripting, but I'm afraid it won't be possible.
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

Can you show an image of the result you would like to achieve ?
Maybe we can we find a solution since there are several ways to reach the destination, especially with (anim)brushes.
Fabrice Debarge
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

This is the picture Kari sent me :
coal3.png
(and that's why there is a new pack of brushes in Content sharing :mrgreen: )
kariP

Post by kariP »

Thanks for the info Elodie!

Ok, so there are different engines behind all the family of brushes. Understood.

But as the custom brush already has the possibility to change f.ex the size with pressure, I don't see the reason why changing the aspect (ratio) with pressure doesn't exist.

(And by the way, if you're protecting something, like an ingenious part of code you've written, then it's more understandable :)

Elodie wrote: 30 Aug 2017, 13:48 However, it is possible to manage the ratio or alpha channel through "Edit" button.
Yes, I have checked these out. But if I understood correctly, there is no way to connect any of these values to variations of my wacom pen.

And to Fabrice, here is the look and effect I'm after. (the brush is in the attachment)

AnimSetting
AnimSetting
Screen Shot 2017-08-31 at 09.37.07.png (68.64 KiB) Viewed 29624 times

Anim mode pressure would be perfect, if the pressure of my wacom would have more variety. Now the pressure gets stuck in one stamp and you can see the effect.

Anim mode loop is the look I'm after. Obviously it doesn't work, because it just loops, but this "perfect" would be the look I want, when the pressure would go from 0 - 100.

My reach for a solution would be to add a possibility for a new mode: pressure+random. The stamp number would react to pressure, but would also create a small randomization around the current stamp number. I have no idea if this would work, and no tools to try it, but this kind of solution could hide the pattern.

And, to add, I know I could destroy the pattern with random angle, but in this case I want the brushedge to be straight. So the stamps are all shaped like so.
b1
b1
Screen Shot 2017-08-31 at 10.09.27.png (7.08 KiB) Viewed 29624 times
b2
b2
Screen Shot 2017-08-31 at 10.09.41.png (7.96 KiB) Viewed 29624 times
And to sum up, this is also the reason I'm looking to control the aspect. To try if I could keep the stamps round, randomize the angle, but control the edge with aspect ratio.

I hope this is understandable and thank you both for helping me out!
Attachments
kariBrush.tvpx
brushtest
(324 KiB) Downloaded 878 times
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

litho.tvpx
(176 KiB) Downloaded 975 times
Have a look at this one. I created it to mimick lithographic shadings from around 1900. It's very light, and gives a satisfying organic look when applied at the same place with more and more pressure, creating very nuanced shading.
Here's the TVP file with all the bitmaps I used. You can use this as blueprint to fill with your own brush shapes, then start with my brush settings.
lithobrush.tvpp
(232.18 KiB) Downloaded 996 times
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

Nice one Markus !
brushes for kari.png
brushes for kari.tvpx
(428 KiB) Downloaded 1016 times
Kari, I have changed your brush. Let me know what your think.
kariP

Post by kariP »

Thank you both, nice brushes!

Marcus, I've made this kind of similar techniqued brushes, and they can really create a nice feeling towards a mezzotint.

Elodie, this brush didn't do the trick for me. The idea of the brush was to not rotate the angle, so this messes up my idea :)

Let's see if I can make my problem more clear with another brush. (brush03)

(Brush03)
brush03
brush03
Screen Shot 2017-08-31 at 12.47.21.png (48.09 KiB) Viewed 29602 times
It looks good, but I have to have a galligraphy feeling to it. It is too round now.

The brush1 in the attachments is having the right calligraphy feel, but when I need to control the Anim with pressure, it gives out these recurring or repeating frames.

brush01
brush01
Screen Shot 2017-08-31 at 12.56.16.png (34.61 KiB) Viewed 29602 times

Brush 1 is the closet one to the right thing. If I could figure out how to diminish the effect of the repeating stamps, it would be great. That is the main problem I'm trying to figure out. If I can figure this out, I could then make all the other brushes with the same technique.

(However, if there is no clear solutions, thanks for your input anyway, I appreciate it! Maybe I'm digging too deep, and should just step back and see if I could do some things differently.)

brushtest2.tvpx
brushes
(603.5 KiB) Downloaded 935 times
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

Elodie, this brush didn't do the trick for me. The idea of the brush was to not rotate the angle, so this messes up my idea
Yeah, I understand, but it's hard to find a good balance between fading textures (that implies anim brushes) and avoid the pattern to be repeated (that's why I use random angle and made you brush more round).
kariP

Post by kariP »

Ok, good to hear that I'm reaching the limits :D It just feels that there might be something I just don't know, but I'm glad to hear you're facing the same problems. (and also glad it's not a problem in my communication, because it could very well be. If I'm giving out too much information, or too many vague problems, it's really hard to answer quickly and address the right problem)

Thank you, it's all valuable information!
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

You're welcome Kari !

Hopefully you / we can find something that you will eventually like :D
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

hmmm ... let me try today or tomorrow. I have some ideas :)
Fabrice Debarge
kariP

Post by kariP »

That's exciting to hear :D
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

Hi Kari,

How do you generate the images B1 and B2 ?
I'm missing the information to create my own brushes.

Basically, I would like to try a much bigger animbrush (> 500 images connected with the stylus pressure) + a jitter profile that decrease once I use a higher pressure level.
In that way, I might be able to keep the calligraphy aspect.
Fabrice Debarge
kariP

Post by kariP »

Hey Fabrice,

I attached the base structure as a project.

Here is a pic from the erase shape.
Screen Shot 2017-09-01 at 15.12.45.png
Screen Shot 2017-09-01 at 15.12.45.png (25.66 KiB) Viewed 29550 times

I used this shape ( b8_erase) to erase from the brushshape.

then I eroded the brush from 0.7 to 3 if I remember correct.

Thanks a lot, hope you find the right combo!

Fabrice1.tvpp
(786.3 KiB) Downloaded 962 times