Importing a colour PNG with a transparent background

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
S.J Steel

Importing a colour PNG with a transparent background

Post by S.J Steel »

Does anyone know how to import a PNG into TV paint? I'm using photoshop to draw my backgrounds, but I want to keep some parts transparent. I've tried using Scan cleaner but that turns the backgrounds into black and white.

I'm using Tvpaint 11 on Windows 10

Could someone please help?
slowtiger

Re: Importing a colour PNG with a transparent background

Post by slowtiger »

You can import a PSD file with all layers intact.
To import a PNG with alpha, please refer to the PS manual about saving images with transparency.
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
o0Ampy0o

Post by o0Ampy0o »

At least with the pre-CC version I own of PS (CS5) if your file has an alpha channel/transparent layer when you use Save As there will be a window with a checklist and the alpha checked. You can choose from the drop-down menu of possible file formats. If it supports transparency the checklist including the alpha channel will remain active/vibrant. If you choose a file format that does not support transparency the checklist will be grayed out. In some software PNG4 is listed as plain PNG but the support for an alpha channel could be indicated elsewhere. In CS5 it did not yet support PNG4 so the PNG does not support an alpha channel.
Main System: Mac Mini running OS X: Big Sur | M1 | 16GB RAM | have not installed TVPaint on new M1 need to update to current as of 9/2022 ...pending non-dongle license 1/2023 | iPad Pro, Apple Pencil and Astropad | Wacom Intros Pro
S.J Steel

Post by S.J Steel »

Thanks guys, another question: what is the correct colour settings that TV Paint 11 accepts? I've tried numerous RGB settings and none then are accepted by TvPaint.
o0Ampy0o

Post by o0Ampy0o »

Can you elaborate? I do not know what you mean. I believe I have been able to import everything attempted. How has TVPaint indicated it has rejected your settings?
Main System: Mac Mini running OS X: Big Sur | M1 | 16GB RAM | have not installed TVPaint on new M1 need to update to current as of 9/2022 ...pending non-dongle license 1/2023 | iPad Pro, Apple Pencil and Astropad | Wacom Intros Pro
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

S.J Steel wrote: 18 Sep 2017, 22:31 Thanks guys, another question: what is the correct colour settings that TV Paint 11 accepts? I've tried numerous RGB settings and none then are accepted by TvPaint.
. I think you want to talk about color space, don't you ?
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

. I think you want to talk about color space, don't you ?
if so, use sRGB.
Fabrice Debarge