Movie export on Windows

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
D.T. Nethery

Movie export on Windows

Post by D.T. Nethery »

UPDATE:

I'm sorry, I broke my own rule and did not do a search of the forum before I posted the questions from the student.

Now, however, I did find a post from Elodie confirming:
"TVPaint Version 11.0.3 allows you to export in AVI and MOV, on 32 and 64 bit, on Windows, Mac and Linux."
I would expect that is the same for the more recent version 11.0.6 , so I wonder why the student thinks he does not have the option of exporting to .MOV with TVPaint 11 on Windows ? I am guessing it must be because he has to first install a codec pack from FFmpeg , is that correct ? I hope someone from TVPaint can confirm this .

OH ... wait now ... I just thought of something else: you're not still sending out TVPaint software installer disc with 11.0.0 - 11.0.2 on it are you ? If the student installed a version earlier than 11.0.3 is that the reason for no .MOV export option on Windows ?

---------

Hi, TVPaint Developers -

I'm on a Mac , so I am asking these questions based on some feedback I received from an online student using TVPaint 11 on Windows . (I don't have Windows , so there is no way for me to check this on my own) .

Is it true that TVPaint running on Windows can only export to .AVI format for movie files or does it also have the option to export to .MOV format ? The Comparison list shows both .AVI and .MOV and next to .MOV it does not say *Mac-only .
Screen Shot 2017-09-18 at 3.07.00 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2017-09-18 at 3.07.00 PM.jpg (59.43 KiB) Viewed 9950 times
I understand that Apple Quicktime .MOV is not supported for Windows, but what about FFmpeg MOV ? Can a Windows user using TVPaint export to .MOV with the FFmpeg codecs ? Do they first have to install an FFmpeg codec pack or something before exporting to FFmpeg MOV will work on Windows ?
Windows Export to FFmpeg MOV.jpg
---------

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
Elodie

Re: Movie export on Windows

Post by Elodie »

OH ... wait now ... I just thought of something else: you're not still sending out TVPaint software installer disc with 11.0.0 - 11.0.2 on it are you ? If the student installed a version earlier than 11.0.3 is that the reason for no .MOV export option on Windows ?
Yes, that's it.

With the last update, your student can use mov file format.
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Elodie wrote: 19 Sep 2017, 09:22
Yes, that's it.

With the last update, your student can use mov file format.
Thank you for confirming . I'll inform the student that he can export to .MOV using the FFmpeg export option in the Windows version of TVPaint 11.

---------

So , with current version 11.0.6 for Windows both TVPaint 11 Standard 32bit and TVPaint 11 Pro 64bit have the FFmpeg .MOV options (Lossless and Compressed) and the .AVI export options, and for Mac TVPaint 11 Standard 32bit it has .AVI and Quicktime .MOV (installed Quicktime codecs) export options ,
while TVPaint 11 Pro 64bit for Mac has .AVI and FFmpeg .MOV (Lossless and Compressed).

(*Elodie: that's not so much a question for you , I'm just writing the options for the benefit of anyone finding this post some time later via search engines ; the student who originally inspired this question about the Export options on Windows version of TVPaint had found an older post via a search engine which said in effect: "no .MOV export for Windows users" , and I said I didn't think that was correct, but would check on it. Then I realized that the FFmpeg .MOV export option was only introduced as of version 11.0.3 , so it hit me that if students were installing from the installer CD with older version 11.0.0 - 11.0.2 , but not updating , then that is why they think they have no .MOV export option ...)
Last edited by D.T. Nethery on 19 Sep 2017, 13:46, edited 1 time in total.

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

That's correct :)