Significant lag in the freehand lasso tool after recent update

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
tribute27

Significant lag in the freehand lasso tool after recent update

Post by tribute27 »

Anyone else experience this issue after the update?
I have to go very slow to make more accurate selections. This is on the 64 bit version with the line smoothing turned off
Thierry
Site Admin

Re: Significant lag in the freehand lasso tool after recent update

Post by Thierry »

Hello tribute27,

Is the bug happening on Windows or on Mac ?
Si votre question a trouvé réponse, marquez votre sujet comme Résolu.
If your question has been answered, mark your topic as Solved.
tribute27

Post by tribute27 »

Thierry wrote: 13 Nov 2017, 14:42 Hello tribute27,

Is the bug happening on Windows or on Mac ?
I use Windows 10
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

More information would be welcome.

-> viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6167
tribute27

Post by tribute27 »

Elodie wrote: 14 Nov 2017, 16:17 More information would be welcome.

-> viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6167
Hello! Sorry for the late reply. Here's some more information. Let me know if there's anything else you need--I'll try keep figuring it out on my end (and I'll try reinstalling it this weekend when I don't have work) Thank you :D

Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise 64-bit
System type: 64-bit Operating System, x64-based processor
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz 4.01GHz
RAM: 32 GB

Software version: TVP Animation 11 Pro (11.0.8-64 bits)
Wacom Cintiq 27HD
Windows 10 64-bit | AMD Ryzen 9 5950x | TVPaint Animation 11 Pro WIBU (11.7.1-64 bits) | Wacom Cintiq Pro 27
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

Wacom Cintiq 27HD
What drivers more precisely ? :)
tribute27

Post by tribute27 »

Elodie wrote: 16 Nov 2017, 23:05
Wacom Cintiq 27HD
What drivers more precisely ? :)
6.3.25-5!
Windows 10 64-bit | AMD Ryzen 9 5950x | TVPaint Animation 11 Pro WIBU (11.7.1-64 bits) | Wacom Cintiq Pro 27
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

Have cleaned out everything related to Wacom drivers before installing the new drivers ?
melaphant3

Post by melaphant3 »

Bumping this old thread because I've been experiencing this with my 2019 imac and now with my 2022 imac studio - I assumed it was just a lack of processing power on my end but now with my beast computer and with everything up to date it still does it. Everything else is as smooth as butter - just the freehand lasso tool is having issues.
I use a 4K cintiq pro 32.
Has there been a solution yet? Thanks!
Sometimes I tumble : D
http://melaphantastic.tumblr.com/
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

melaphant3 wrote: 15 Jun 2023, 00:19 Bumping this old thread because I've been experiencing this with my 2019 imac and now with my 2022 imac studio - I assumed it was just a lack of processing power on my end but now with my beast computer and with everything up to date it still does it. Everything else is as smooth as butter - just the freehand lasso tool is having issues.
I use a 4K cintiq pro 32.
Has there been a solution yet? Thanks!
I am also on MacOS (Monterey 12.6.2) . I've got an older Mac Mini (2018, Intel) 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7, 16GB of RAM. No lag on my end with the freehand selection tool.
However, I'm using an older Cintiq (21 UX) which is not high resolution. You have a 4K resolution Cintiq Pro 32 so the issue might be resolved by starting up TVPaint in low-resolution mode.
(I recall that this solution has been suggested on previous topics regarding laggy tool performance). It used to be easy to do this, but Apple made it harder since Catalina . So now to start TVPaint in low-resolution mode , you must do this:

-Close TVPaint
-Access your "Applications" folder, right click on TVPaint and select "Show Package Contents"
-Access the "Contents" folder and open the "Info.plist" file with TextEdit
-Right before the last "</dict>" tag, add the following line and save the file: "<key><NSHighResolutionCapable></key><false/>"
-Open TVPaint again

Hopefully that solves the lag problem. It's worth a shot.

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
melaphant3

Post by melaphant3 »

I am also on MacOS (Monterey 12.6.2) . I've got an older Mac Mini (2018, Intel) 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7, 16GB of RAM. No lag on my end with the freehand selection tool.
However, I'm using an older Cintiq (21 UX) which is not high resolution. You have a 4K resolution Cintiq Pro 32 so the issue might be resolved by starting up TVPaint in low-resolution mode.
(I recall that this solution has been suggested on previous topics regarding laggy tool performance). It used to be easy to do this, but Apple made it harder since Catalina . So now to start TVPaint in low-resolution mode , you must do this:

-Close TVPaint
-Access your "Applications" folder, right click on TVPaint and select "Show Package Contents"
-Access the "Contents" folder and open the "Info.plist" file with TextEdit
-Right before the last "</dict>" tag, add the following line and save the file: "<key><NSHighResolutionCapable></key><false/>"
-Open TVPaint again

Hopefully that solves the lag problem. It's worth a shot.

Yes!! That fixed it! Thank you so much!

Now I was just doing some experimenting going back between the two, and the freehand lasso's octagonny-lag effect has gone since changing the info.plist after your suggestion (when I reverted it back to take a look at the difference it was gone!), the slowness lag is very much still there on the high res version - it just doesn't have significant octogonning anymore! Weird. I think I need to test again later with a larger file or something. :shock:

Actually even though it's not a problem now, both high res and low res info.plist versions do have the slightest bit of octogonning. What's interesting is that it only will do it (ever so slightly now) when I begin freehanding my first selection with nothing already selected. Every extra circley squiggle I do after my initial one is perfect. It's just the first!
Here's a pic showing the difference https://drive.google.com/file/d/16jik5J ... sp=sharing
It's not enough anymore to bother me, but yeah I thought it was interesting.
Sometimes I tumble : D
http://melaphantastic.tumblr.com/