Multi-core usage

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
DenX

Multi-core usage

Post by DenX »

My old personnal computer just died and I'm a bit short on the budget for a new one.
So I'm looking for a way to get a cheap one and I remembered something.

I think that TVPaint (like other softwares) don't use all the cores of the processor.
On my the computer I use at work, I noticed on the task manager that only 2 of the 6 cores are actually used while working on TVPaint.
So I wonder if I'll get the same performances on a simple dual-core than on a i5 at the same clock speed ?
ematecki
Site Admin

Re: Multi-core usage

Post by ematecki »

TVPaint makes good usage of the cores.
But there are tasks where other resources are the limiting factors (like memory speed or disk I/O,or user even input).
When applying FXs, my 12 cores Xeons tops at 24 threads fully used (2400% CPU usage :) ).
When drawing, unless using 1000+ pixels brushes, there just isn't enough computation involved to use that many cores...

The priorities are : memory (at least 32GB when working in TVHD res), then disk speed (think SSD), then cpu cores (unless you're doing much more FX than drawing, then move ahead of disk speed), then graphic card.
You may have to balance with respect to the other softwares you're using...
Quicktime is DEAD. Get over it and move on !
DenX

Post by DenX »

Well, most of the time I just animate and I apply FXs once in a while so I guess I don't need too many cores.
For the memory part I didn't know it was necessary to have so much... and honestly I don't think I can afford 32GB. :|

But thanks for the advices, I'll priotarize the RAM then.
ematecki
Site Admin

Post by ematecki »

At least get bigger SIMMs so there are still slots free to upgrade memory later.
Get 2x8GB instead of 4x4GB if you can only afford 16GB right now.
Quicktime is DEAD. Get over it and move on !
DenX

Post by DenX »

Yes, it's good to think about future updgrades.

Thanks !
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

ematecki wrote: 22 Dec 2017, 08:22
The priorities are : memory (at least 32GB when working in TVHD res),
That recommendation for at least 32GB of memory when working at HDTV resolution is surprising to me.

I think maybe it is time to update the "minimum system requirements" on the FAQ to note that if someone plans to work in HDTV resolution or 1920 x 1080 that minimum recommended is 32GB of RAM . I would say 1920 x 1080 is the standard resolution nowadays (with many people working at higher resolutions of 2k or 4k) . But the current "minimum system requirements" listed are :
Processor : any dual-core processor
RAM : 2GB
Free hard drive space : 10GB
https://www.tvpaint.com/v2/content/arti ... ategory=20

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

While it's never wrong to go for as much RAM as possible, my 10 yr old Macs with 8 GB RAM are quite good at producing HDTV animation in TVP.
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

slowtiger wrote: 22 Dec 2017, 15:30 While it's never wrong to go for as much RAM as possible, my 10 yr old Macs with 8 GB RAM are quite good at producing HDTV animation in TVP.
Yes, I've got 16GB of RAM and haven't noticed any poor performance working at 1080p or 2K film resolution in TVPaint , so I was a bit surprised to read ematecki's recommendation of "at least 32GB" of RAM to work at HDTV resolution.

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
DenX

Post by DenX »

After spending a day unplugged, I cleaned the interior of the old computer, checked every connections, replaced the thermal paste and after a startup repair, it boots again !
That will give me some time to take a better look at the different configurations for a new computer.

I think I'll look for a i3 or i5 with 16GB of RAM and empty slots for future upgrades.
So if I understood well, the graphic card power is irrelevant, right ?
D.T. Nethery wrote: 22 Dec 2017, 15:24I would say 1920 x 1080 is the standard resolution nowadays (with many people working at higher resolutions of 2k or 4k) . But the current "minimum system requirements" listed are :

Processor : any dual-core processor
RAM : 2GB
Free hard drive space : 10GB
Well, on my personnal project, at 1920x1080 it works fine with my 10 years old dual-core with only 4GB or RAM.
But with higher resolutions and many layers I see a difference between my own computer and the one I use at work wich has 16GB of RAM and 6 cores.
With 4K starting to replace 2K as the standard resolution I guess high amount of RAM must be important to build a proper computer for future productions but yes, 32GB is a bit high for minimum requirement.

I wish my bank account could tell me different though. :mrgreen:
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

That recommendation for at least 32GB of memory when working at HDTV resolution is surprising to me.
Eric exagerates a little bit :lol:

I can tell 8GB of memory are muuuuch enough to use TVPaint for HDTV projects. But indeed, having more memory means having a faster software.

I would say 32GB are more "a very comfortable option" (like driving a huge car to do groceries) than a must-have (a smaller car will do the job as well, but you you will have to think a little more to fill the trunk). As long as animation industry won't go for crazy high definitions (4k+), it won't be necessary to have 32GB of memory.