After Effects JSON import troubles

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
pixelchomp

After Effects JSON import troubles

Post by pixelchomp »

Hi guys,

I've been having trouble getting the After Effects import to work. I export my sequence with the Clip: Layers structure panel with the JSON structure and PNG files. When I run the script in AE, I browse to the JSON file and confirm, but then nothing happens. I've tried in both AE 2017 and 2018 without luck. I tried with and without the camera checkbox. Any thoughts on what the problem could be?

Thanks!
Elodie

Re: After Effects JSON import troubles

Post by Elodie »

Hello,

Do you have an error message or something ?
Clément

Post by Clément »

Hi,
i wrote the After Effects import script, here are a couple of things we can try:

- Try to import a very simple Clip to see if there is still a problem ( 1 layer, 1 image, no blending mode. )
- What operating system are you working with ?
- Are your Operating System or After Effects or TVPaint environnement & localisation settings using foreign languages ?
- Are you sure you don't have invalid characters that sneaked in in your file names, file path, layer names ?
- Is your JSON file in an unusual location ( remote server, USB... ? )

that's, on the top of my head, informations sensible to cause problems under certain circumstances.

I don't have any issues with AE CC2017, didn't try AE CC2018 though, maybe it introduces some incompatibility i'll check that asap.
Did you also make sure you are working with the latest version of the script ? If you are not it should prompt an error message but you never know. The version should be 5.0 or higher, you can open the .JSX file and read it at the top of the file.
Clement Berthaud, Software Developer, TVPaint Team
Clément

Post by Clément »

Seems like i am having trouble uploading the latest version of the jsx script file as attached file to a forum post so i sent it to you directly as a private message.
Let us know how it goes.
pixelchomp

Post by pixelchomp »

Thanks! I'll give this all a try and report back. I wasn't getting any error messages--just nothing would happen. Almost like it was waiting for a "Go" button to be pressed. I'll gather more info tonight.

Thanks again!
pixelchomp

Post by pixelchomp »

Hi Clément,

Thanks again for sending the script. I've tried a handful of experiments and finally found the root of the issue. Here's a little background:
-- I'm currently working in AE 2017.2 on PC
-- There are no errors when running the script
-- I use a custom workspace that I have saved in AE

If I load the script, browse to the json file and click open, nothing happens. (The file browser closes and just returns to AE).
However, if I switch my workspace to AE's Default workspace, the script works as expected. I can even go from my custom workspace, to default, and back to my custom workspace and the script works.

So it seems there's an issue with AE loading with my custom workspace initially that's throwing the script off. It's a strange one, but switching the workspaces seems to do the trick.

Thanks again for reaching out, and hopefully the info above helps.
-p
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

Perhaps we can take a moment to use TeamViewer and see the issue with our very eyes ?

What's your time zone and your availability?
Clément

Post by Clément »

Hi again,
I see, good job on finding that out, it can be hard to figure out :)

It reminds me of a similar problem i had when making sure the script was compatible with older versions of After Effects, however i just tried it with various workspaces in AE CC2017 and i had no problem.
Perhaps the best thing to do by now is for you to send me the workspace settings you are using, if you wish so. That way i'd see if i could reproduce the issue and identify quickly on my machine.
daninski

Post by daninski »

Hi, related note, where can I find the script to be able to open a JSON file in after effects?
http://www.daninski.com
Award winning director with an iMac from about 2013 and a cintiq from about 2009, there's some RAM too.
furushil

Post by furushil »

daninski wrote: 20 Apr 2018, 10:33 Hi, related note, where can I find the script to be able to open a JSON file in after effects?
When you downloaded the last update of TVPaint (11.0.8 ) there was a script file in the zip folder.
See here:
http://www.tvpaint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=11054
wrote: It's in the last update zip file (same folder as the software executable file).
MAC OS 12.6.2 - TVpaint 11.7.1 PRO 64bit, Wacom Intuos Pro
daninski

Post by daninski »

Ah ha! I'll download it again...
Award winning director with an iMac from about 2013 and a cintiq from about 2009, there's some RAM too.
daninski

Post by daninski »

...if I can find out how.
daninski

Post by daninski »

Does anyone have it to have and could send it to be perchance?
furushil

Post by furushil »

daninski wrote: 20 Apr 2018, 12:59 ...if I can find out how.
You should be able to download it when you click on the "update" button at the top of this forum page.
Or try this link: https://tvpaint.odoo.com/en_US/web/logi ... %3Dsafenet
MAC OS 12.6.2 - TVpaint 11.7.1 PRO 64bit, Wacom Intuos Pro
daninski

Post by daninski »

Yeah, whenI click that it doesn't show any software. My invoices aren't in there either.