rendering split scenes - does not render until Mark Out point

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
aagjevd

rendering split scenes - does not render until Mark Out point

Post by aagjevd »

Hello to you all!
(This is the first time I'm posting something here on the forum, so sorry if something is incorrect - I have read the "read me" post! :wink: )

Let me tell you what my 'problem' is. It's not such a big problem, but I have encountered it multiple times and it bothers me. So I'm not sure if it's me or the program haha.

I make my animatic and animation in TVPaint. So I use clips for different scenes. When I render, I usually render the entire project in one movie file - no problems there.
But I've came to the point where I want to render it in clips, so this time I've ticked the 'SPLIT SCENES' box, to let TVPaint render it all in separate files.
When assembling in Premiere, I notice the full file is longer than all the separate clips in total. So what did I notice?

I often have clips where I "Hold" or "Loop" a layer. When I then have a Mark Out point (that is ON), further away in the timeline, but no layer reaches the Mark Out point ('cause for example I didn't stretch out the Holded layer to the Mark Out point, it stops rendering to where the layer ends. So the render does no longer look at the Mark Out point, only at the layers.

Maybe I'm talking gibberish now, so I've added screenshots.
Here it only renders until frame 11 instead of 30.
Here it only renders until frame 11 instead of 30.
Screen Shot 2018-02-05 at 17.04.59.png (48.36 KiB) Viewed 16328 times
On the first one you can see the layers of one of my clips. A layer on hold, and a looping layer, with a Mark Out point further in the timeline. Upon normal preview playing, or rendering as a clip - no problems. But they do give problems when I render the entire project and use 'SPLIT SCENES'. It then stops rendering that scene at frame 11 instead of 30.
Here is how I have to change it in order to render until frame 30.
Here is how I have to change it in order to render until frame 30.
Screen Shot 2018-02-05 at 17.05.09.png (58.91 KiB) Viewed 16328 times
The second image is what I then have to change throughout my entire project, to no longer have those issues.

But, my question is, is there a way to not have this issue? Is it me haha? Or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!! :D
- Aagje

Just to be sure, the specs are:
Macbook Pro, OS High Sierra - i7, 16GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2GB
TVPaint 11 Pro - 64 bit
Equipment: MacBook Pro, 16GB RAM, NVIDIA 750M 2GB, TVPaint 11 Pro, 64bit
slowtiger

Re: rendering split scenes - does not render until Mark Out point

Post by slowtiger »

This is something which happens in normal export, too (being in clip view). An Out mark somewhere behind the last frames of all layers is plainly ignored, if I want a video exactly that long I need to extend any one layer to that mark, even with an empty exposure.

Yes, I think this should be fixed.
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
daninski

Post by daninski »

I just put my held frame at the end :D

It is a little counter intuitive though. I agree.
http://www.daninski.com
Award winning director with an iMac from about 2013 and a cintiq from about 2009, there's some RAM too.
aagjevd

Post by aagjevd »

daninski wrote: 05 Feb 2018, 19:02 I just put my held frame at the end :D

It is a little counter intuitive though. I agree.
Haha that is an option! But indeed, you already have to think of it, just as if I now lengthen one layer until the Mark Out point.
But then you already need to know the end point (or take the time to change it afterward). With an animatic I often lengthen or shorten the timing, so I use Mark Out points a lot for changes in timing..

Hopefully it can be fixed in the future!
aagjevd

Post by aagjevd »

slowtiger wrote: 05 Feb 2018, 17:07 This is something which happens in normal export, too (being in clip view). An Out mark somewhere behind the last frames of all layers is plainly ignored, if I want a video exactly that long I need to extend any one layer to that mark, even with an empty exposure.

Yes, I think this should be fixed.
Ah could be, actually! Didn't notice it since I haven't exported single clips recently, but you're right!
It's indeed the same issue you address, even though a layer is on 'hold', it doesn't count until one layer is extended until (or past) the Mark Out point. Then it works correctly, and renders until the Mark Out point.

Glad I'm not alone :wink:
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

Well that's not really a bug, there is nothing to fix. But indeed, there is something to improve :)