tv_restorebrush "animinvert" bug

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
spyderheart

tv_restorebrush "animinvert" bug

Post by spyderheart »

Hi TVPaint team,
I think I have uncovered a little glitch with the "tv_restorebrush" command. To make a long story short:

Code: Select all

tv_restorebrush animinvert 1
does not invert the anim connection (e.g "Pressure" should become "-Pressure")

Other properties, such as

tv_restorebrush size 50
work as expected (the above will set the size to 50).

Any insights?
David
--------------------------------------------------------
TVPaint 11.7 Standard
System: 64GB RAM // 3 TB SSD // Core i7 8700K // NVIDIA GTX 1080// Windows 10 Home
spyderheart

Re: tv_restorebrush "animinvert" bug

Post by spyderheart »

Update and clue:

The problem only arises in TVPaint Standard version. I've tested this with the Pro demo and it behaves exactly as expected.

A little further testing also showed that many, perhaps all, of the problems I've been posting in the George discussion board related to tv_restorebrush - do not affect the Pro version.
David
TVPaint 11.7 Standard
System: 64GB RAM // 3 TB SSD // Core i7 8700K // NVIDIA GTX 1080// Windows 10 Home
Thierry
Site Admin

Post by Thierry »

spyderheart wrote: 08 Mar 2018, 03:56The problem only arises in TVPaint Standard version. I've tested this with the Pro demo and it behaves exactly as expected.

A little further testing also showed that many, perhaps all, of the problems I've been posting in the George discussion board related to tv_restorebrush - do not affect the Pro version.
It might be that.
We'll take a closer look at this, I'll keep you updated.
Si votre question a trouvé réponse, marquez votre sujet comme Résolu.
If your question has been answered, mark your topic as Solved.
spyderheart

Post by spyderheart »

Great! Thank you for investigating.

For anyone else tracking this - I posted this viewtopic.php?f=34&t=11282 while trying to find a workaround to what I thought was just a limitation of GEORGE. I'm Holding off on that until we know more about this bug.
David
TVPaint 11.7 Standard
spyderheart

Post by spyderheart »

Could be related:
http://forum.tvpaint.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=11817

Can't decide which board this belongs in (George or technical) but I want to make sure the right people are reading it. I'm encountering problems in George that may point to larger, undocumented differences between 64-bit and 32-bit (maybe).
David
TVPaint 11.7 Standard
Svengali

Post by Svengali »

spyderheart wrote: 13 Jun 2018, 17:47 Could be related:
http://forum.tvpaint.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=11817

Can't decide which board this belongs in (George or technical) but I want to make sure the right people are reading it. I'm encountering problems in George that may point to larger, undocumented differences between 64-bit and 32-bit (maybe).
Hi David,
To clarify a (possibly relevant) GEORGE detail...

Be sure you use tv_BrushRestore NOT tv_RestoreBrush. ( I only work in TVPaint Pro 11 64 bit so I can't really test if there is a difference in 32 bit or standard but I think the optional command tv_RestoreBrush may be handled differently in the 32 and 64 versions or the standard and Pro versions.) If you run a test and find a difference (or even if you don't find a difference) in how the two versions of the command are handled... please post your results.

sven
TVP Pro 11.0.10-64bit Win10 - 64GB ram -2TB HHD - 256GB SSD - Wacom Cintiq 16, driver 6.3.41-1
Android Tablet: rel. 11, Samsung Galaxy Note10.1 - 32GB with microSD 32GB
Android Tablet: rel. 11.5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S7plus - 128GB with microSD 64GB
Svengali

Post by Svengali »

Examining the AnimInvert parameter issue further:

I think there is a bug based on an ill-conceived ANIM data juncture. Here is my reasoning.

In the Tool:Custom Brush panel, the Anim parameter window permits you to set THREE! different parametric catagories!
1. how the AnimBrush displays: None, Once, Start&Once, Loop, Ping-pong, Random, Random&Loop, Start&Loop, Random&Hold, Fade
2. set an aspect of stylus functionality: Pressure, Speed, Direction, Tilt, Twist, Azimuth, Altitude
3. set or unset the AnimInvert parameter which affects the chosen stylus functionality.

Unfortunately, mixing all of these setting options through the ANIM parameter gets confusing - for example, you can wind up with the ANIM display showing -None, or -Ping-Pong in which a minus sign really makes no sense. When you set Stylus functionality, you cancel display of the active ANIM parameter. Confusing to say the least, though in effect, the previous ANIM parameter remains active (I think).

It's worse when you try to use GEORGE to set parameters... and is only partially resolved with the AnimInvert parameter (0/1) in the tv_BrushRestore command.

If you try to set Stylus functionality in GEORGE, for instance tv_BrushRestore ANIM PRESSURE, you cancel the ANIM Mode setting, and if you set how the AnimBrush displays, tv_BrushRestore ANIM LOOP, you cancel whatever stylus setting is in effect. To make it even more confusing, you can also affect the AnimInvert parameter, tv_BrushRestore ANIM INVERT seems to cancel both ANIM MODE setting and stylus setting according to the ANIM parameter window which can end up displaying a singular minus sign.

It's a mess whether you access ANIM options through the UI - Tool:Custom Brush panel or through GEORGE.

Apples and Oranges and bananas all in the same basket.

sven
TVP Pro 11.0.10-64bit Win10 - 64GB ram -2TB HHD - 256GB SSD - Wacom Cintiq 16, driver 6.3.41-1
Android Tablet: rel. 11, Samsung Galaxy Note10.1 - 32GB with microSD 32GB
Android Tablet: rel. 11.5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S7plus - 128GB with microSD 64GB
spyderheart

Post by spyderheart »

Svengali wrote: 14 Jun 2018, 00:25 Be sure you use tv_BrushRestore NOT tv_RestoreBrush. ( I only work in TVPaint Pro 11 64 bit so I can't really test if there is a difference in 32 bit or standard but I think the optional command tv_RestoreBrush may be handled differently in the 32 and 64 versions or the standard and Pro versions.) If you run a test and find a difference (or even if you don't find a difference) in how the two versions of the command are handled... please post your results.
Thanks Sven. I got all excited about your suggestion thinking that must be it! But alas, results show otherwise. I tried both the following:

tv_restoreBrush animinvert 1
tv_brushRestore animinvert 1
Both work in 64 bit, neither works in 32 bit.

By the way anyone can test in the other architecture. When testing these issues I use the 64-bit and 32 bit pro demo versions. Since my main install is the TVPaint Standard, both Pro configs are at "factory settings" - unpolluted by my "adventurous" configuration over in standard. The only difference should the 64 vs 32 bit.
Svengali wrote: 14 Jun 2018, 00:25 In the Tool:Custom Brush panel, the Anim parameter window permits you to set THREE! different parametric catagories!
1. how the AnimBrush displays: None, Once, Start&Once, Loop, Ping-pong, Random, Random&Loop, Start&Loop, Random&Hold, Fade
2. set an aspect of stylus functionality: Pressure, Speed, Direction, Tilt, Twist, Azimuth, Altitude
3. set or unset the AnimInvert parameter which affects the chosen stylus functionality.

Unfortunately, mixing all of these setting options through the ANIM parameter gets confusing - for example, you can wind up with the ANIM display showing -None, or -Ping-Pong in which a minus sign really makes no sense. When you set Stylus functionality, you cancel display of the active ANIM parameter. Confusing to say the least, though in effect, the previous ANIM parameter remains active (I think).
I'll have to look through this one a little more thoughtfully. Something is clearly broken - but if we can know exactly how it is broken, we can account for it in george.
I agree that the 3 ANIM parameters could really be integrated in a more meaningful way. I would propose something like this:

1.The parameters None, Once, Start&Once, Loop, Ping-pong, Random, Random&Loop, Start&Loop, Random&Hold, Fade are used to reorder the ANIM sequence
2.Pressure, Speed, Direction, Tilt, Twist, Azimuth, Altitude drive the progression of the sequence as redefined in parameter one. For example if Loop was chosen in 1 and pressure chosen as the pen dynamic - increasing pressure drives the looping. In this case you would need to add a None option to brush dynamics so that the default behaviours we currently have could also be achieved (looping automatically for example).
3. Invert is applied to the sequence ordering rather than the pen dynamic. This allows it to have meaning when the the pen dynamic is set to None.
4. I've requested this as a feature already - a CUSTOM option that allows you to enter mathematical expressions or edit graphs that combine more than one parameter.

Veering off topic though... Really hope the team looks into the 64 bit 32 bit George problem. I've got a script I'm dying to release but I can't in good conscience until it's resolved :lol:
David
TVPaint 11.7 Standard
melanie

Post by melanie »

Misbehaviour noticed in the 32 bits version of the software for MacOS.
Added to the To-Do List!
Melanie • Animator