TVPaint 11 Standard Edition + Linux installation trouble

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
pgpattison

TVPaint 11 Standard Edition + Linux installation trouble

Post by pgpattison »

Hello,

Has anyone successfully installed and run the Standard Edition of TVPaint on a current Linux distribution?

When I try to install TVPaint on Ubuntu 16.04 or Debian 9, the installation fails because the 32-bit version of xsane fails to install due to dependency issues. (xsane-common is supposed to be architecture-independent, but xsane keeps asking for a 32-bit build of xsane-common during installation. This is a problem Ubuntu inherited from Debian, and the Debian package maintainer has refused to fix it.)

Fedora 27 and CentOS 7 will let me in stall TVPaint, but when I attempt to run it, I get the following error message:
/lib/ld-linux.so.2: bad ELF interpreter: No such file or directory
I've tried the steps recommended at https://stackoverflow.com/questions/832 ... er#8328485

However, glibc.i686 fails to install on CentOS. I can install glibc.i686 on Fedora, but then I have to start installing additional 32-bit libraries, until one of them (pulseaudio-libs) conflicts with the already-installed 64-bit version.

In short, I'm not able to install and run the 32-bit version of TVPaint on a modern 64-bit Linux distribution, and the supported distros named on TVPaint's website are only available as 64-bit installation media.

If anyone has gotten TVPaint Standard Edition installed and running on any of these Linux distributions, I'm eager to find out how you did it.

Thanks,
Palmer G. Pattison
pgpattison

Re: TVPaint 11 Standard Edition + Linux installation trouble

Post by pgpattison »

Never mind. I found 32-bit installation media for both Xubuntu 16.04 and Debian 9, and TVPaint installs on both with no trouble. I'll just pick one and use that instead of a 64-bit distro. Not ideal -- all my processes will be limited to 4 GB or RAM -- but I can live with it.

Palmer