Stuck without menu bar on windows after moving config from mac

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
spyderheart

Stuck without menu bar on windows after moving config from mac

Post by spyderheart »

On Mac we have the option to show or not the main window menu bar - since OSX shows it's own version no matter what and we might find it redundant and want to conserve screen space - I do appreciate that option.

Understandably, the option does not exist on Windows since the TVPaint main window menu bar is the only menu bar available. However, after moving the config folder from Mac to windows - I am stuck with no menu bar.

The problem is that having hidden my menu bar on mac - something in the config.ini file says "no menu bar" or "draw the menu bar off screen" even on windows. My first approach was to create an action button to help me display the preferences (since I can't get it through the menu bar) so that I could check "Use TVPaint Menu". Of course this option is not available on PC so it seems my menu bar is stuck outside the box somewhere.

I'm pretty sure there must be a few lines inside the config.ini file on windows that i can tweak to get myself out of this bind. Does anybody know?

I plan to set up a file sync between my Mac laptop and windows tablet so that my shortcuts, panels, scripts, etc... are available on both all the time. Once I've set up the sync, I won't mind tweaking these lines whenever I've forgotten to restore the menu bar on the Mac side (resulting in the missing menu bar on windows).

In a future version, TVPaint might consider forcing the correct display of the menu bar in Windows on startup (ignoring the config.ini file) OR including the option to show it again in the Preferences panel. This would improve config compatibility across the Mac - Windows chasm.

Thanks!
David
--------------------------------------------------------
TVPaint 11.7 Standard
System: 64GB RAM // 3 TB SSD // Core i7 8700K // NVIDIA GTX 1080// Windows 10 Home
spyderheart

Re: Stuck without menu bar on windows after moving config from mac

Post by spyderheart »

spyderheart wrote: 05 Apr 2018, 16:28 I'm pretty sure there must be a few lines inside the config.ini file on windows that i can tweak to get myself out of this bind. Does anybody know?<e>
Hehe okay in answer to my own question I found the offending line in config.ini and guess what it's called... "usetvpaintmenu" !

If you too find yourself in this absurd conundrum... do the following
With TVPaint not running, just set :

Code: Select all

usetvpaintmenu=1
Save and close config.ini and restart tvpaint

Case closed for me :) Hope TVPaint makes the little compatibility tweak. Should be as easy as possible to move around the config folder.
David
--------------------------------------------------------
TVPaint 11.7 Standard
System: 64GB RAM // 3 TB SSD // Core i7 8700K // NVIDIA GTX 1080// Windows 10 Home