H.264 export

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
ryannewelluk

H.264 export

Post by ryannewelluk »

Hi,
I was wondering if you have any details on how to export to H.264?

Many thanks
Ryan
D.T. Nethery

Re: H.264 export

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Are you on Windows or Mac ?

On Mac you can use the 32bit version of TVPaint to access Quicktime video compression codecs, one of which is H.264 .

(note: you can have both the 64bit and 32bit version of TVPaint installed on your computer. 64bit version doesn't use Quicktime because QT is 32bit and Apple has more or less abandoned Quicktime , although it still works fine on Mac OS for now. On 64bits TVPaint you can use the internal .AVI export or export to .MOV using FFMpeg .)

Here are what your settings should look like to export to H.264 (IMPORTANT: make sure that "Key Frame every ____ frames" is UNCHECKED. If that is selected there is a bug in H.264 that will make it only export 1 frame ) .
TVP_Export_Settings_for_H.264.jpg

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
ryannewelluk

Post by ryannewelluk »

Hi,
I'm on Mac 64bit version.
Thanks for the screenshot. I don't get that on my version. Just a small drop down.
I'm wondering if it's worth exporting out of Premiere rather than install another version of TVPaint.

Cheers
Ryan
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

ryannewelluk wrote: 01 Aug 2018, 14:44 Hi,
I'm on Mac 64bit version.
Thanks for the screenshot. I don't get that on my version. Just a small drop down.
I'm wondering if it's worth exporting out of Premiere rather than install another version of TVPaint.

Cheers
Ryan
Re-read what I wrote to you above:

On Mac you can use the 32bit version of TVPaint to access Quicktime video compression codecs, one of which is H.264 .

(note: you can have both the 64bit and 32bit version of TVPaint installed on your computer. 64bit version doesn't use Quicktime because QT is 32bit and Apple has more or less abandoned Quicktime , although it still works fine on Mac OS for now. On 64bits TVPaint you can use the internal .AVI export or export to .MOV using FFMpeg .)

ryannewelluk

Post by ryannewelluk »

What I mean is, I'd rather use Premiere to do the export to H.264 than have a second version of TVPaint installed. Unless it will affect the quality.
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

ryannewelluk wrote: 02 Aug 2018, 09:58 What I mean is, I'd rather use Premiere to do the export to H.264 than have a second version of TVPaint installed.
Unless it will affect the quality.
Whatever you prefer , but it doesn't cost you anything extra and it doesn't put any strain on your computer to have both the 32bit and 64bit version installed at the same time. Switching back and forth between the two versions is seamless. If you prefer to work mostly in the 64bit version (to take advantage of the additional RAM that 64bit can access) it's pretty simple to save the .tvpp project , then re-open it in the 32bit version to export directly to H.264 .

Export to H.264 , using TVPaint 64bits and TVPaint 32bits alongside each other -

1.) Working on your file in TVPaint 64bits version ... Save the file . Close.
2.) re-open the same .tvpp file in TVPaint 32bits version
3.) Go to File Menu > Export To > select Quicktime .MOV > H.264

OR this method using TVPaint 64bit and Premiere -

1.) Working on your TVPaint project in TVpaint 64bits version.
2.) Go to File Menu > Export To > select FFMpeg MOV > Compressed RGB-RGBA (which is FFMpeg's version of "ProRes" codec)
3.) Now open your exported .MOV file in Premiere. then re-export the video from Premiere using H.264 codec .

If you happen to have the good old Quicktime 7 PRO you could use that (not the free Quicktime player , I mean the QT Pro version that cost $29.99 for a license key to unlock the pro features) . I use Quicktime 7 Pro all the time for fast, simple video editing and conversion.

So it would be used like this with TVPaint 64bits -

1.) Working on your TVPaint project in TVpaint 64bits version.
2.) Go to File Menu > Export To > select FFMpeg MOV > Compressed RGB-RGBA (which is FFMpeg's version of "ProRes" codec)
3.) Open the exported .MOV file in Quicktime 7 Pro ,
go to File menu > Export > Movie to Quicktime Movie > Options >
under Options choose H.264 as the codec.

ryannewelluk

Post by ryannewelluk »

Awesome, thanks for the info.

Each option sounds good.