Accidentally deleted an FX preset

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
4degrees

Accidentally deleted an FX preset

Post by 4degrees »

I'm using Tv Paint 11 Pro, and accidentally deleted a preset from the FX bin in the particles generator. ( Specifically, FX Bin > Delete > Presets > Pyrotechnic > Smoke ) I was intending to just remove the smoke and use a different effect, but ended up removing smoke as an option completely. I have restarted the software and it's still missing.
Cardin

Re: Accidentally deleted an FX preset

Post by Cardin »

I did the same thing once and the solution in the following thread worked for me. It explains how to reset the particle effect and then restore it to the Presets List.
http://www.tvpaint.com/forum/viewtopic. ... =19&t=5420

Not sure this is worthy a Feature & Improvement request so I'll just mention it here: To avoid mistakes, Deleting Presets should have an extra step of confirmation just as when you want to delete a layer. Or perhaps a Reset All Particle Presets option.
TVPaint 11 Pro(11.7.2-64bits) Nov 14, 2023 Release
System: i9-13900K, 128GB RAM, Intel Arc A770(16GB), Win 11 (Ver. 10.0.22621 Build 22621)
Wacom Cintiq 4K (Driver 6.4.5-5 Jan 25, 2024)
4degrees

Post by 4degrees »

thanks for your help, but I'm using a Mac with the TV Paint USB Dongle. I've looked for a directory where these files are and can't find anything. I've even re-installed the software and the smoke effect is still missing from the presets.
Cardin

Post by Cardin »

A Mac, eh. That would have been helpful to know from the start ;). Well, I'm sure a Mac user will eventually chime in if the TVP staff doesn't sooner.

When you deleted the preset you modified the user configuration. Reinstalling the software won't reset the user configuration unless you select the box to delete it along with the main TVPaint component. The box for the user configuration is unchecked by default in the uninstall window. So if you left it unchecked then reinstalling would do nothing to solve the problem. This option will remove all of your custom panels, settings, FX bins shortcuts, etc. Does this option exist for the Mac version?
System: i9-13900K, 128GB RAM, Intel Arc A770(16GB), Win 11 (Ver. 10.0.22621 Build 22621)
Thierry
Site Admin

Post by Thierry »

On Mac, the config folder is located in the User Library.
In the Finder, click on the "Go" menu, then keep the Alt button pressed, and click on "Library. There, look for a folder named "tvp animation 11" or "tvp animation 11 pro" :)
Cardin Collins wrote: 02 Aug 2018, 16:35Not sure this is worthy a Feature & Improvement request so I'll just mention it here: To avoid mistakes, Deleting Presets should have an extra step of confirmation just as when you want to delete a layer. Or perhaps a Reset All Particle Presets option.
That's an interesting idea !
Si votre question a trouvé réponse, marquez votre sujet comme Résolu.
If your question has been answered, mark your topic as Solved.
4degrees

Post by 4degrees »

Thierry wrote: 03 Aug 2018, 10:24 On Mac, the config folder is located in the User Library.
In the Finder, click on the "Go" menu, then keep the Alt button pressed, and click on "Library. There, look for a folder named "tvp animation 11" or "tvp animation 11 pro" :)
Cardin Collins wrote: 02 Aug 2018, 16:35Not sure this is worthy a Feature & Improvement request so I'll just mention it here: To avoid mistakes, Deleting Presets should have an extra step of confirmation just as when you want to delete a layer. Or perhaps a Reset All Particle Presets option.
That's an interesting idea !

What is this ridiculous magical hidden witchcraft?! I never knew that was an option, why would Mac hide the library? Anyways, thank you so very much, but one last thing... I found the FX files but am given a "bad or corrupt bin file" notification when I try to import it. We're almost there!
Thierry
Site Admin

Post by Thierry »

4degrees wrote: 03 Aug 2018, 17:41I never knew that was an option, why would Mac hide the library?
I wish I knew...
4degrees wrote: 03 Aug 2018, 17:41Anyways, thank you so very much, but one last thing... I found the FX files but am given a "bad or corrupt bin file" notification when I try to import it. We're almost there!
Can you send them to me ?
Si votre question a trouvé réponse, marquez votre sujet comme Résolu.
If your question has been answered, mark your topic as Solved.
Cardin

Post by Cardin »

4degrees wrote: 03 Aug 2018, 17:41 ... I found the FX files but am given a "bad or corrupt bin file" notification when I try to import it. We're almost there!
That's because the file is a different format than what the import needs.

Try this:
In this video, I first delete the smoke preset and then restore it. The process should be the same on the Mac, with the only different being the location of the files. These are the same steps as outlined in the thread I referenced last week.

You'll have to view it on Youtube.

In summary:
-Create a new configuration file using the Startup Panel. Just use the Startup Panel to create the folder, you don't even need to open a new project.
-A new configuration folder will be created with all the default TVPaint settings, including the particle presets. Take the FSF\Particles\bin.bin file from this new configuration folder and copy it to your old configuration.
-Open a new project using your old configuration to confirm the particle effect preset was restored.