Key Framer and manual positioning of drawings Topic is solved

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
BruceM

Key Framer and manual positioning of drawings

Post by BruceM »

I have a walk cycle that, after several cycles, hooks up to drawings of the character slowing and stopping.

I understand how to manipulate the characters forward movement using the Key Framer function, however, when the character is slowing, I would like to be able to manipulate those last drawings so that the feet are properly pinned to the ground and aren't sliding.
Is there a way to manually slide the images and key frame them as the character is slowing to a stop?
D.T. Nethery

Re: Key Framer and manual positioning of drawings

Post by D.T. Nethery »

You can add keyframes one frame at a time to adjust the foot position to keep it planted in one spot as the character is slowing-in to a stop.

But I think it's simpler than that ... animate your walk cycle of the character walking in place (treadmill walk) which will be repeated and panned across using the KeyFramer . On another layer animate the character coming to a stop (at that point when it is coming to a stop the foot that is in contact with the ground stops slipping back and becomes planted and the character moves forward , slowing-in into the stopped position.
So now you have two layers - 1.) Walk , 2.) Coming to a Stop

Then on a new layer using the Walk cycle as your source in the Keyframer , have the character walk in and the walk repeats up to the point where you want the character to stop. Apply. Now add however many frames it takes for the character to come to a stop . Now return to the Keyframer and switch the source to the Coming to a Stop layer . Turn the light table on so you can see where the foot is planted on the last drawing of the walk cycle and now adjust the keyframer so that the foot on the first drawing of the Coming to a Stop animation is in the same place and apply. Does that make sense ?

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
BruceM

Post by BruceM »

That does make sense, and I'll give that method a try. Where I was getting stopped up is in thinking that you can only set a beginning key frame, and an end key frame. When I was trying to set intermediate key frames to keep the character's feet in place while it's slowing, nothing seemed to be happening. I'll give it another go using this method.

Much thanks DT!
Paul Fierlinger

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

I find the simplest way to go about this is laying down only the number 1. walk and then manually matching each opening frame to the ground's layer moving gradually into full speed and slowing down at the end by again nudging the few off frames to match the ground. This really is easier and takes less time than most people expect.
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
BruceM

Post by BruceM »

DT, your solution worked perfectly.
Thank you!