File size growing unusually large

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
D.T. Nethery

File size growing unusually large

Post by D.T. Nethery »

I'm working remotely with a friend who is new to TVPaint. He is making a short film that is 3.5 minutes long . His storyboards are all in a single .tvpp file , but I showed him how to break it up into Clips (scenes) . There are 41 Clips . There is a music track (song) that runs the duration of the 3.5 minutes. Most of the scenes have 3 - 7 layers , with several still images (storyboards) on each layer , but not an excessive number of images . At this point there is no animation , only the black and white storyboard panels. The pixel resolution of the project is 3840 x 2160 . The latest version of the file is around 3.8 GB , which seems rather large for 3.5 minute animatic with no fully animated scenes, no color , just black and white sketches (some grey fills) .

Anyone have any thoughts on why it would have ballooned up so large ? Could it be the music track ? What if he reloads the soundtrack but does not save it as a dependency embedded in the project ? (so the soundtrack is a referenced dependency ), would that make the overall file size smaller ?

I'm at a disadvantage in that I don't have the file myself to look at , but trying to figure out from a distance what the issue may be and tell him how to fix it. If anyone has any suggestions , I'd appreciate it.

One of the other things I'm considering is to suggest that he downscale the project (modify project) to 1920 x 1080 for the animatic , but then when he's ready to animate , work at the 2x scale of 3840 x 2160 (to allow for resizing, camera moves, without any pixel blurriness) with each scene split up to it's own separate .tvpp project file , rather than all scenes in the same project file. I had told him that I would usually work at 2x the intended final output (which in this case will be 1920 x 1080 ), so that is why he scaled his project to 3840 x 2160 , but now I wonder if that scale is overkill for an animatic ? Maybe better to just work at 1920 x 1080 for the animatic ...

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
slowtiger

Re: File size growing unusually large

Post by slowtiger »

I do my animatics even smaller, like 1280 x 720 - good enough to draw, good enough to show. I can always blow up a scene when I start animating if necessary.

Yes, he definitely needs to break up his film into 41 separate project files!
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
neonnoodle

Post by neonnoodle »

Agreed on the need to down-res the animatic. Under 1080 should be fine. A short while ago I purchased the Bloop Animation tutorial series for TVPaint and one of the particularly useful sections of it was a guide to splitting your animatic.
Thierry
Site Admin

Post by Thierry »

D.T. Nethery wrote: 02 Sep 2018, 16:39He is making a short film that is 3.5 minutes long . His storyboards are all in a single .tvpp file , but I showed him how to break it up into Clips (scenes) . There are 41 Clips . There is a music track (song) that runs the duration of the 3.5 minutes. Most of the scenes have 3 - 7 layers , with several still images (storyboards) on each layer , but not an excessive number of images . At this point there is no animation , only the black and white storyboard panels. The pixel resolution of the project is 3840 x 2160 . The latest version of the file is around 3.8 GB , which seems rather large for 3.5 minute animatic with no fully animated scenes, no color , just black and white sketches (some grey fills) .

Anyone have any thoughts on why it would have ballooned up so large ?
Look no further than that.
Such a filesize with these conditions is expected, if it was less than that I would be extremely surprised.
Si votre question a trouvé réponse, marquez votre sujet comme Résolu.
If your question has been answered, mark your topic as Solved.