Painterly look in TV Paint

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
petefelstead

Painterly look in TV Paint

Post by petefelstead »

Hello lovely Creative people!

I am a senior technician working with Animation students at Falmouth University and one of our 3rd year students has come to me with an interesting request.
Here is the e mail that she has sent me

What we are looking to do is to model and animate our story in 3D using Maya,and import the animation into TVPaint,rotoscope it and obtain a painterly look. We are trying to figure out a way that we can keep the color under control,without boiling . We have tried using Photoshop and coloring it frame by frame but the process is taking too long,and we are hoping to be able to do it faster using TVPaint.
Here is a link to some examples of the look that we are trying to achieve https://photos.app.goo.gl/WpPeQNGtCLqAcPLg9

Also does anyone have any nice oil paint type brushes out there?

Many thanks!

Pete
slowtiger

Re: Painterly look in TV Paint

Post by slowtiger »

There was a "promoted article" (=advertisement) about a film in production doing just that in TVP on cartoonbrew.com
https://www.cartoonbrew.com/sponsored-b ... 64691.html
(Would be nice to have an archive of these articles here in the forum, or on the TVP website!)

It's a point worthy to discuss whether the boiling should be embraced or not. There were several attempts at pasting a painted texture on 3D characters, which made them look like wearing zentai suits. IMHO a certain amount of boiling, or at least animated visible strokes to a certain degree, add much to the charm.

And I wonder why it must be oil paint: are they looking for a pastose look? That's what the default oil brush in TVP does: use some shadow to make it look thicker.
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
Peter Wassink

Post by Peter Wassink »

10 years (!) old but these are stil my personal favourite painterly brushes.

they use both the A and B color
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2663&p=19356#p19356
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM
daninski

Post by daninski »

I think you could use the brush spreading effect. It works well on solid blocks of colour, and you can get it to only update on heads so it won't boil constantly.
http://www.daninski.com
Award winning director with an iMac from about 2013 and a cintiq from about 2009, there's some RAM too.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Was that link there all the time? I just noticed there were some picture examples, nice ones.

Yes, this look can be achieved quite easily in TVPaint. I do this with a combination of paper texture, masking, and brushes. It's simple to incorporate your own textures into TVP, and building brushes is fun. Feel free to aks for help in your workflow.

I still wonder why you asked for oil brushes, since the examples look more like gouache and pencils.
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5