deleted colour palette Topic is solved

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
Catriona

deleted colour palette

Post by Catriona »

I'm in one of those panic situations... I've been using a colour palette, which if I saved, it was in the early days of the project and would be pretty useless, and I just accidentally deleted it instead of a colour from it. Edit undo doesn't bring it back. I have a million backups of the project but by simply opening an older version of the animation the palette doesn't return. Is it gone for good or hiding somewhere?
Clément

Re: deleted colour palette

Post by Clément »

When a palette is deleted, it is really deleted. If you saved a palette before, then you can reimport it, but a palette is not embedded into a projet.
Looks like it's gone for good.

EDIT:
Until saved elsewhere, palettes are stored in C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming\tvp animation 11 pro\default\config.ini on Windows. That means it is linked to your local install settings, not to a project.
Depending on your machine settings you can maybe access a backup version of this file from a few days ago ?
Clement Berthaud, Software Developer, TVPaint Team
Catriona

Post by Catriona »

ok, thanks, one of those major kicking myself experiences. I was using the watercolour brush so I'm not sure I can just use the colour picker to match the colours. But it's not the end of the world.

It was surprisingly easy to lose.
Clément

Post by Clément »

It's true there is no big warning message for once.
That is the reason why i use custom panels as color palettes. It is easier to embed it with a project, or simply export and share it.

If you check my first answer i edited it with a possible solution, although it is unlikely that you have a proper backup of this file, this is the only way i see you can recover it without too much work.
Catriona

Post by Catriona »

hmm, I have a mac, but given that the palette opened automatically every time I used the software, *surely* it must be saved in a file like that somewhere in my backups (of the whole mac).
Catriona

Post by Catriona »

I found config.ini from yesterday's backup, and replaced my current one with it. Then opened TVPaint, but the palette didn't reappear.
Clément

Post by Clément »

Did you delete the palette today ?
If everything was okay yesterday and the file is really from yesterday then the palette should be in there, try right click > Palettes > Selecting whatever palette is in here to see if it's the one.
Otherwise i'm short of solutions.
Catriona

Post by Catriona »

No, not there. But there's a strange phenomenon. I go to my backup drive (which sadly has a connection I can't use on any other computer), and find the backed up application itself, show package content to see the hidden files, and in every single case it says the files were last modified at 10.02 this morning. That's about the time I accidentally deleted the palette. Even in the backups I made a month ago. Very weird. Is TVPaint actively modifying everything in sight?
melanie

Post by melanie »

Once your palette is deleted, there is no way to retrieve it.
I strongly advise you to save your palettes or change them into custom panels which you save and export and are contained as a file in the configuration directory.
Melanie • Animator