Anti-Alias Off Eraser Tool

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
Nexxorcist

Anti-Alias Off Eraser Tool

Post by Nexxorcist »

Hello hello. So I had a quick question. I'm trying to do my clean ups with anti-alias off so I can do color with it off as well, and anti-alias it in post.

My question is, is there a way to make the Eraser tool, Anti-Alias off? I tried the Magic Eraser Black tool, but it always goes back to the original size + Custom. I use the same tool (Pen/Ink Tool) for drawing with anti-alias off so I'm left with pressing F2 and F4 to switch back and forth. I'd be fine with learning that way of doing it, except now I'm stuck with constantly resizing the brush when I want the Eraser to be a bigger size.

I also tried the custom panels, but maybe I'm just not doing it right. When I click Magic Eraser Black, save as a custom tool, it'll save in the custom panel. It's just it when I go back to drawing with Black it doesnt switch back. I also tried hot keying Magic Eraser Black but it's constantly stuck at 10 px. I tried the custom " tv_custommode 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 7225 7225 -10881 1 0 " script with it, but it still didn't work. I'm pretty sure it's a simple fix, I just dunno how to fix it. I could use some help!

Thank you for your time!
---Jimmy
Hironori Takagi

Re: Anti-Alias Off Eraser Tool

Post by Hironori Takagi »

There is no antialiasing OFF function in the eraser tool.
To erase pixels with anti-aliasing OFF, I think that it is better to use Pen tool and draft pen mode "erase".
TVPaint 11.7.2(Nov 14 2023), Windows11 Pro, HP Spectre x360 Convertible 14-ea0xxx / TVPaint 11.7.1(Dec 22 2022) Mac OS 11.6, Apple MacBookPro M1 2020
Cardin

Post by Cardin »

You can try making a small Filled Circle or Filled Rectangle (using the shape tools) and then Cut to Brush. In Custom Brush settings, set AAliasing to "NONE" and mode to Erase. Save as Custom Panel (Grab Current Tool).

With it being a custom brush you can assign it to a hotkey and also resize as needed while retaining the sharpness of the lines and avoid having to toggle the modes of the pen tool
TVPaint 11 Pro(11.7.2-64bits) Nov 14, 2023 Release
System: i9-13900K, 128GB RAM, Intel Arc A770(16GB), Win 11 (Ver. 10.0.22621 Build 22621)
Wacom Cintiq 4K (Driver 6.4.5-5 Jan 25, 2024)
Nexxorcist

Post by Nexxorcist »

Cardin Collins wrote: 11 Jan 2019, 09:09 You can try making a small Filled Circle or Filled Rectangle (using the shape tools) and then Cut to Brush. In Custom Brush settings, set AAliasing to "NONE" and mode to Erase. Save as Custom Panel (Grab Current Tool).

With it being a custom brush you can assign it to a hotkey and also resize as needed while retaining the sharpness of the lines and avoid having to toggle the modes of the pen tool
That works, for the most part! But here's my other question, and this probably sounds a bit nit picky. When I hot key from the Pen tool to the Custom Brush I just made, it resets itself to whatever size I made the custom brush. Is there a way for it to stay what I just left it as?
Cardin

Post by Cardin »

You can have a HotKey be set for the general Custom Brush Tool rather than that specific Custom Panel Brush. So when you need to toggle between pen and the custom eraser, the settings will persist rather than be reset.
Last edited by Cardin on 11 Jan 2019, 12:58, edited 3 times in total.
TVPaint 11 Pro(11.7.2-64bits) Nov 14, 2023 Release
System: i9-13900K, 128GB RAM, Intel Arc A770(16GB), Win 11 (Ver. 10.0.22621 Build 22621)
Wacom Cintiq 4K (Driver 6.4.5-5 Jan 25, 2024)
Hironori Takagi

Post by Hironori Takagi »

Sorry, I understood what you wanted to do.
I will attach a method for switching the pen mode "color" and "erase" at different sizes.
Since it is not possible to edit the magic color eraser, how about adding a size change and making it the size you want other than 10 pixels?
190111.png
TVPaint 11.7.2(Nov 14 2023), Windows11 Pro, HP Spectre x360 Convertible 14-ea0xxx / TVPaint 11.7.1(Dec 22 2022) Mac OS 11.6, Apple MacBookPro M1 2020
Svengali

Post by Svengali »

Here is a simple way to swap between any tool and a "Square Pink Eraser".
Swap Tool Button Set (make your own).png
Swap Tool Button Set (make your own).png (11.5 KiB) Viewed 19802 times
install the Swap Tool Button Set consisting of the SwapTool and Square Pink Eraser buttons.

1. load eraser - (actually, a non-aliased cutbrush tool)
2. load tool, any tool

Then tap the Swap Tool button to use eraser and tap the Swap Tool button again to use the tool.
Assign the button to a Shortcut key for quick swapping between drawing and erasing.

THE ONE AND ONLY SWAP TOOL BUTTON RULE:
If you want a different tool, select it while you are toggled to the eraser (NOT while the tool is active.)

Credit: The Square Pink Eraser is something I learned about from Paul F.
Any time you can see the hot pink eraser cutbrush as your tool, you know you can select a new tool to use and toggle to.

BONUS HINTS: If you have two tools that you would like to use together when drawing...
If you lose the eraser, simply click on the Square Pink Eraser button again while you are using the tool you want to draw and toggle between.
You can use the SwapTool button to draw and toggle between the two (but then the eraser swap doesn't work... :roll: )
And remember, changing colors or ANY other setting for the current tool counts as selecting a new tool (so the swap button toggles between colors, not between tools... :roll: )
Finally, the SwapTool button depends on a single action command: the SetKeystroke = Tools Option: Get Previous Tool
Attachments
Swap Tool Button Set.tvpx
(195.5 KiB) Downloaded 909 times
TVP Pro 11.0.10-64bit Win10 - 64GB ram -2TB HHD - 256GB SSD - Wacom Cintiq 16, driver 6.3.41-1
Android Tablet: rel. 11, Samsung Galaxy Note10.1 - 32GB with microSD 32GB
Android Tablet: rel. 11.5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S7plus - 128GB with microSD 64GB
Nexxorcist

Post by Nexxorcist »

Cardin Collins wrote: 11 Jan 2019, 12:14 You can have a HotKey be set for the general Custom Brush Tool rather than that specific Custom Panel Brush. So when you need to toggle between pen and the custom eraser, the settings will persist rather than be reset.
Sweet, that works! Thanks man!
Nexxorcist

Post by Nexxorcist »

Hironori Takagi wrote: 11 Jan 2019, 12:38 Sorry, I understood what you wanted to do.
I will attach a method for switching the pen mode "color" and "erase" at different sizes.
Since it is not possible to edit the magic color eraser, how about adding a size change and making it the size you want other than 10 pixels?

190111.png
Dope, this also worked. I hot keyed the Pen and Magic Eraser into the custom panels. Setting the size in George Script helps too. Learned something new. Thank you!
Nexxorcist

Post by Nexxorcist »

Svengali wrote: 11 Jan 2019, 16:58 Here is a simple way to swap between any tool and a "Square Pink Eraser".
Swap Tool Button Set (make your own).png
install the Swap Tool Button Set consisting of the SwapTool and Square Pink Eraser buttons.

1. load eraser - (actually, a non-aliased cutbrush tool)
2. load tool, any tool

Then tap the Swap Tool button to use eraser and tap the Swap Tool button again to use the tool.
Assign the button to a Shortcut key for quick swapping between drawing and erasing.

THE ONE AND ONLY SWAP TOOL BUTTON RULE:
If you want a different tool, select it while you are toggled to the eraser (NOT while the tool is active.)

Credit: The Square Pink Eraser is something I learned about from Paul F.
Any time you can see the hot pink eraser cutbrush as your tool, you know you can select a new tool to use and toggle to.

BONUS HINTS: If you have two tools that you would like to use together when drawing...
If you lose the eraser, simply click on the Square Pink Eraser button again while you are using the tool you want to draw and toggle between.
You can use the SwapTool button to draw and toggle between the two (but then the eraser swap doesn't work... :roll: )
And remember, changing colors or ANY other setting for the current tool counts as selecting a new tool (so the swap button toggles between colors, not between tools... :roll: )
Finally, the SwapTool button depends on a single action command: the SetKeystroke = Tools Option: Get Previous Tool

Woah, definitely gonna hafta toy with this. Keeps blowin my mind how robust this program can get. Thanks for the help Svengali!

Edit: Holy shit, sick! That works! I can toggle between the Pen Brush Eraser/Color and it remembers the exact same setting I used last. Oh wait, I just saw the swap between colors/size counting as a new tool. I ended up Hotkeying the Brush Tool with Color to and the Switch to a different key other than the Eraser and it's workin! Thanks!