Export not preserving transparency

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
squideri

Export not preserving transparency

Post by squideri »

hi all

I'm having an issue with my exports in tvpaint. I normally export by separating different layers with transparency for compositing. But today when I was exporting and putting my files into after effects I ran into this odd problem where nothing I export preserves the transparency. I know it's not after effects with the problem, it seems to be an issue with the export. When I open up the .mov file after the export is over it maintains the same background I can't explain why its there. There are no layers on but the ones shown as on, I've tried exporting single layers in case its just an issue with the one but that doesn't seem to be the problem. And after conversion the issue persists. I cannot for the life of me figure out what setting has caused this. I work on shared studio computers and a lot of times the problems come from a student who doesnt understand the problem messing with the preferences or settings and causing a big headache for everyone involved. I'd really appreciate some help with this as I really need to get to work compositing my thesis.

Here are some photos of what the files look like, the export settings, and a view of the video opened after export.

https://imgur.com/a/iPBhLgB
D.T. Nethery

Re: Export not preserving transparency

Post by D.T. Nethery »

See this topic , pinned at the top of the Technical Support forum:

[Read me first before posting a question]

If you can provide some more information about your system (Mac , Windows , Linux ?) and the version of TVPaint you have installed and
the other relevant information , it would be easier to help troubleshoot your issue.

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
D.T. Nethery

Re: Export not preserving transparency

Post by D.T. Nethery »

squideri wrote: 21 Apr 2019, 18:16
Here are some photos of what the files look like, the export settings, and a view of the video opened after export.

https://imgur.com/a/iPBhLgB
I looked at your screen shots . The export settings seem correct to me, to export with transparency.

Is your FFMpeg the third option on the list -- "Compressed (RGB-RGBA)" ? In the TVPaint project the background is set to None ?
FFMpeg_Compressed_RGB-RGBA.jpg
FFMpeg_Compressed_RGB-RGBA.jpg (62.82 KiB) Viewed 10527 times
Project Background set to NONE.jpg
Project Background set to NONE.jpg (18.32 KiB) Viewed 10527 times

I tried a test using those exact same export settings and the .mov file came into After Effects with the transparency preserved.

In AE do you have the Toggle Transparency button selected ?
Toggle_Transparency_in_AE.jpg

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1