Import Video into TVPaint , audio does not import

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
D.T. Nethery

Import Video into TVPaint , audio does not import

Post by D.T. Nethery »

I noticed when importing a .mov file with audio into TVPaint as a LAYER the audio does not successfully import .

If I import the .mov file as a new Project the audio does import. But I need to bring the .mov file into an existing project as a Layer.

Can someone from TVPaint please confirm this is a known bug or is this only a problem I'm having on my end ?

Import Audio does not work.jpg

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
Greenlaw

Re: Import Video into TVPaint , audio does not import

Post by Greenlaw »

I ran into the same problem back in September 2018. Here's the thread on the topic:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=12049

Importing as a Clip sort of solves the problem for me but with some inconveniences.

Hopefully they're still working to fix this issue.
Last edited by Greenlaw on 29 Apr 2019, 18:19, edited 2 times in total.
D.R. Greenlaw
Artist/Partner, Little Green Dog
Lead Digital Animator, DreamWorks Animation Television
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Greenlaw wrote: 29 Apr 2019, 17:40 I ran into the same problem back in September 2018. Here's the thread on the topic:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=12049

Importing as a Clip sort of solves the problem for me but with some inconveniences.

Hopefully they're still working to fix this issue.
Thank you. I do remember that thread . At the time I could not duplicate the issue you mentioned , but now the same thing is happening to me and I'm mystified why it won't import the audio when trying to bring in the .mov as a Layer in an existing project.

Yes ,Importing as a clip is a good workaround most of the time , but in this case I need the .mov to import into an existing project as a layer , with the audio imported , too.
The other workaround I came up with was to extract the sound from the .mov clip (using Quicktime Pro) , then save the extracted sound as .wav , then import the .mov into my project as a layer , then import the .wav file in to reunite the sound with the images of the imported .mov. It works , but is inconvenient . So I also hope that this is something still on the developer's "To-Do" list.

D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

D.T. Nethery wrote: 29 Apr 2019, 17:46 this is something still on the developer's "To-Do" list ?
Bump.

Would it be possible for someone on the development team to respond to this issue ? Is there a fix possible ?

In one of the other threads where this issue was mentioned , Melanie responded:

"Thank you for your feedback. We will fix this."

That was in 2018 .

If there is no fix possible for this issue, then I would suggest the option which says "Import Audio" should be removed under the Layer tab , because the user will naturally assume that if such an option is shown in the Import window the audio will be imported ... it is frustrating when the audio is not imported. It would be better to not have the option listed if it does not actually work.
Import Audio does not work.jpg

Under the Project and Clip tabs, leave the function "Import Audio" as it is now , because it does work if importing as a Project or as a Clip.