Problems with temp directory

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
sakari

Problems with temp directory

Post by sakari »

Hi,

We're having a strange problem with current (8.5.7) version of tvpaint on pc. When I press compute in preview settings window I get these two popups (see attached images).

I guess this has something to do with temp folder. Current setting is f:\tvpaint. I've tried various other folders on different drive too but with no success. Temp directories were made by current user so I guess it's not about file permissoins.

I noticed that tvpaint adds / (which will not work in windows) in the end of the temp directory settings in preferences window. Could it be what causes this problem? I also viewed the configuration file (C:\Documents and Settings\[user]\Application Data\tvpaint animation pro\default\config.ini) and it said only f:\tvpaint (with no \ or / in the end. I tried adding \).

And about the workstation (I know you'll ask this). It's Q6600 with 4GB ram and nvidia gforce 8800gtx. Operating system is windows xp 64 with all the latest updates. Nvidia drivers are also curret version.

Thanks for help in advance :)
Attachments
eitoimi.gif
eitoimi.gif (2.41 KiB) Viewed 30360 times
foo.gif
foo.gif (1.88 KiB) Viewed 30358 times
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

Hi sakari,

This is the first time that someone had a such bug. It seems strange to us, in fact, we think that it is a small compatibility problem with windows xp 64.
(FYI, There is no problem with the slashes.)

If the software works correctly, the bug comes certainly from the benchmark.
I suggest you to enter a value manually between 30 and 60 if you have a fast hard drive.
Fabrice Debarge
sakari

Post by sakari »

How important is the temp folder to tvpaint's performance? I've received complaints about tvpaint being slow on this workstation (a same project file worked fast on a quad core mac) :(

First thing I'll do next monday is to install tvpaint to another xp64 workstation and see if the same problem follows!
sakari

Post by sakari »

Looks like the problem is xp64 related. I had same problems with the other workstation :(

Any ideas what should I do?
malcooning

Post by malcooning »

it seems that when tvpaint checks disk access speed it returns an abnormal result. Like was said above, it's probably a bug. but to workaround this you can set the data rate manually. Just drag the little black arrows next to the 'data rate' number box, and set it 5MB/s or 10Mb/s or 50MB/s, depends on your disk speed. I suggest you start with a low number. then preview your animation. If you set a low number you will get a low quality preview, but if it runs smooth you can try setting a higher data rate number. then preview again. Keep doing so until you're happy with the playback/quality ratio.
sakari

Post by sakari »

malcooning wrote:it seems that when tvpaint checks disk access speed it returns an abnormal result. Like was said above, it's probably a bug. but to workaround this you can set the data rate manually. Just drag the little black arrows next to the 'data rate' number box, and set it 5MB/s or 10Mb/s or 50MB/s, depends on your disk speed. I suggest you start with a low number. then preview your animation. If you set a low number you will get a low quality preview, but if it runs smooth you can try setting a higher data rate number. then preview again. Keep doing so until you're happy with the playback/quality ratio.
But what if I have set proxy in preview settings? If tvpaint is unable to write into temp directory (the second screenshot), the proxy setting is pretty much useless?

Other settings like realtime are a bit out of question because we keep all our image data on a server.
ZigOtto

Post by ZigOtto »

have you any dependency (not preloaded elements) in your project ?
elmisilhumano

Post by elmisilhumano »

I'm not sure what dependency means, but the same project works like a dream in my mac..

Mikko
malcooning

Post by malcooning »

sakari wrote:But what if I have set proxy in preview settings? If tvpaint is unable to write into temp directory (the second screenshot), the proxy setting is pretty much useless?
your tvpaint reported insufficient system resources, which I assume that it refers to disk space. According to the bug the report about disk speed is very high, so it tries to write a lot of information to the hard drive according to that calculation: 1638 MB for each second of your animation. If you reduce it to some reasonable rate, the calculation might find that there is enough space to write to the drive. This affects Realtime, proxy and render modes all together.
Give it a try.
ZigOtto

Post by ZigOtto »

elmisilhumano wrote:I'm not sure what dependency means, but the same project works like a dream in my mac..

Mikko
dependencies means that when you load a video or a sequence of frames,
you have a "Preload" option to enable or disable,
if disable, the files aren't (pre)loaded in Temp memory,
but are read directly from the HD where they are saved.
So, in proxy mode, the access speed of your HD is deterninant for the frame-rate playback.

Hervé
Site Admin

Post by Hervé »

Hi Sakari,

you can try this :
-open "tvpaint animation pro.ini" file (Start > Run > tvpaint animation pro.ini)
-add the following text at the bottom of the ini file : nobuffering=no
sakari

Post by sakari »

malcooning wrote: your tvpaint reported insufficient system resources, which I assume that it refers to disk space. According to the bug the report about disk speed is very high, so it tries to write a lot of information to the hard drive according to that calculation: 1638 MB for each second of your animation. If you reduce it to some reasonable rate, the calculation might find that there is enough space to write to the drive. This affects Realtime, proxy and render modes all together.
Give it a try.

It's not about insufficient system resources. The disk I'm using as a scratch disk is a empty 146GB drive. I'd like to see a hard drive or hard drive controller that could fill 146GB hard drive in a blink of an eye ;)

Isn't the compute function there to tvpaint to find out how fast disk you have? It doesn't matter if I put 1 or 1000 there, tvpaint sets it to what ever it thinks your disk speed is after a successful testing.
ZigOtto

Post by ZigOtto »

sakari wrote:... Isn't the compute function there to tvpaint to find out how fast disk you have? It doesn't matter if I put 1 or 1000 there, tvpaint sets it to what ever it thinks your disk speed is after a successful testing.
OK, but what about if you DO NOT compute, but set the data rate value MANUALLY ?
doesn't it keep your manually entered value ?
sakari

Post by sakari »

ZigOtto wrote:OK, but what about if you DO NOT compute, but set the value MANUALLY ?
doesn't it keep your manually entered value ?
Of course it does. It's not about the value. I don't care if the computation gave me number 2^22222222.

I'd like to know if the problem is only in preview settings. What if the problem is system wide and tvpaint is, because of it, unable to use temporary directory at all?

That would probably affect in tvpaint's performance!
Hervé
Site Admin

Post by Hervé »

Sakari,
can you make Ctrl D + 9
what do you read ?