knock, knock

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
Paul Fierlinger

knock, knock

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

I want to say hello again and let my old friends know that I'm back and that I came through the front door because someone left it open.
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
fanany

Old Paul the return !!!

Post by fanany »

Paul Fierlinger wrote:(25/01/2006) I will always be on the side of the software creators and against a ruthless middleman if it comes to that choice.
it finally became true, I knew it was just a matter of times,
... 30 months is quite a delay isn't it ? :wink:

Anyway, welcome (back) to the free-speaking side! :)

How your "Tulip" film goes ? how many % already done ?

I hope Klaus Hoefs (Kaha) will follow you soon, I like his work,
very inspiring.
Paul Fierlinger

Hello Raymond. I will deal with that out of context quote in a private message. I suggest we let lying dogs sleep on these pages.

Speaking of which, My Dog Tulip is in its final stretch; I have 72 minutes out of 83 drawn and we have until end of October to finish all. It is slated for release at Cannes, followed by a first run in London and then a U.S. Premiere and the rest of the world. My producers already have secured a French distributor for Europe.

You can see the website here:
www.mydogtulipfilm.com

I am now also in the preliminary stages of making another feature about Joshua Slocum's historic solo circumnavigation of the world in 1895-1898. Klaus Hoefs has already agreed to participate on that one so we are in almost daily contact.

I have not bought TVP pro yet. Are there any deals for us old beta testers? I see in the list of features many familiar items, one or two which are quite dear to my heart since I spent many correspondences on those.
Paul
Hervé
Site Admin

Post by Hervé »

Hello Paul, welcome :D
Hervé ADAM, TVPaint Team
Paul Fierlinger

Thanks, Herve.

I'm back from my travels.
Paul
Paul Fierlinger

I have my first question. I am in the throws of a large project, as mentioned above. What sort of risks would I be exposing myself to if I switched to TVPaint Pro now, or would you people suggest that I wait and finish in Mirage before switching to TVP?
Paul
fanany

Post by fanany »

Paul Fierlinger wrote:Hello Raymond. I will deal with that out of context quote in a private message. I suggest we let lying dogs sleep on these pages.
old pages turned. :wink:
Paul Fierlinger wrote: Speaking of which, My Dog Tulip is in its final stretch; I have 72 minutes out of 83 drawn and we have until end of October to finish all. It is slated for release at Cannes, followed by a first run in London and then a U.S. Premiere and the rest of the world. My producers already have secured a French distributor for Europe.

You can see the website here:
www.mydogtulipfilm.com

I am now also in the preliminary stages of making another feature about Joshua Slocum's historic solo circumnavigation of the world in 1895-1898. Klaus Hoefs has already agreed to participate on that one so we are in almost daily contact.
great news !!! :D
Paul Fierlinger wrote: ... I have not bought TVP pro yet. Are there any deals for us old beta testers? I see in the list of features many familiar items, one or two which are quite dear to my heart since I spent many correspondences on those.
as any Mirage user, the special offer 60% off at 380€ is still available, ... or is it close now ???
Paul Fierlinger wrote:... What sort of risks would I be exposing myself to if I switched to TVPaint Pro now, or would you people suggest that I wait and finish in Mirage before switching to TVP?
tiny risks I think,
I would give a try on one scene first, I think you just have to learn how to manage with the Instances,
it's pretty easy, and don't miss the handy Instance Panel ... 8)
Paul Fierlinger

So would it be possible to first just buy one seat of TVP for myself and let Sandra work with Mirage while I learn the new ropes? In other words, will she be able to load into her Mirage my TVP project and see no difference?
Paul
Peter Wassink

Post by Peter Wassink »

Hello Paul, welcome Back!
I am very glad to see you here. :D

And to directly respond to your question.
My automatic reaction is (predictably): switch now! there are so many wonderful new tools and improvements, off course you should switch asap.

But i'll try to think of some possible reasons for you to wait.

Since you did not evolve along with all the recent changes, getting them all at once might throw you off track a little, your tried production routine may need some tweaking. For example, the new way of handling frames which differentiates between headframes and instances will take a little getting used too.
and there are a lot of little changes and improvements that you may have to adapt too. So i guess you have to be prepared for a small learning curve. off course you can count on getting help with that here.

In terms of compatibility between the .mir and .tvp file type i don't think there is any problem. TVP files conveniently save their FXstack data automatically within the tvp file and you'd loose this data when you load the tvp file in mirage.
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM
Paul Fierlinger

Thanks Peter; for the welcome and the instruction. It now does worry me to switch too abruptly, because I have hundreds of scenes (projects) in my files and each one of them is a potential redo or touch up. Multiply this by two, as in two people, two computers etc and all looks very threatening.

What I think I should do is just buy TVP for myself and play with it in some spare moments and switch only when I feel very confident. Can the two applications live together on the same computer and same C:\ drive with no conflicts?
Paul
Peter Wassink

Post by Peter Wassink »

Paul Fierlinger wrote:Thanks Peter; for the welcome and the instruction. It now does worry me to switch too abruptly, because I have hundreds of scenes (projects) in my files and each one of them is a potential redo or touch up. Multiply this by two, as in two people, two computers etc and all looks very threatening.

mirage -> tvp :no problems.
tvp -> mirage :you loose instances info, fxstack data and project notes
but (please someone correct me if i'm wrong) i believe that is all.
instances(reoccurring frames) can be regenerated very easily though, with the instance panel Raymond mentioned.

so if you keep exporting your fx stacks to save them outside of the project
(like you do now in mirage)
there is only the issue with instances that you have to deal with in going back and forth between TVP and Mirage.
Paul Fierlinger wrote: What I think I should do is just buy TVP for myself and play with it in some spare moments and switch only when I feel very confident. Can the two applications live together on the same computer and same C:\ drive with no conflicts?
i'm no expert on this but in my experience all versions off the software can coexist peacefully.
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM
Paul Fierlinger

The only files I can think of that I use and need to maintain for future use are the settings for the keyframer, or as I hopelessly still call this function, camera moves (good for me). It seems to me that TVP has an advanced (compared to Mirage) system of camera moves. I am not talking about multiplane, which is not my bag, but even the keyframer is now new for camera moves, correct? Will my Mirage .bin function the same way in TVP?
Paul
ZigOtto

Post by ZigOtto »

Paul Fierlinger wrote:Can the two applications live together on the same computer and same C:\ drive with no conflicts?
A year or so ago, I've tested to run both Mirage and TVPA,
and it worked without noticeable problems on my old computer. 8)
Paul Fierlinger wrote:... Will my Mirage .bin function the same way in TVP?
give it a try, a short test won't hurt,
the keyframer bin haven't changed so much, so I guess it should work from one app to the other.
Paul Fierlinger

Good to know. Now if there would only be someone here who has made the switch right in the middle of a project ....
Paul
malcooning

Post by malcooning »

Paul Fierlinger wrote:I have 72 minutes out of 83 drawn and we have until end of October to finish all.
That's alot. you work fast Paul! and knowing your work, I'm sure it's all beautiful, elegant uncompromising drawings.

Nice to see you here Paul. Although I wasn't here when you last was here, it's a warming feeling to see your presence.

Asaf