Oldtimer newbie's reflections

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
Sierra Rose

Post by Sierra Rose »

I really like the color palette new functions. I also like the swiveling canvas, the timeline changes, the fancy brushes, the project tab, the instances, the flip tool, gosh, my head a little jammed right now from just going from function to function. I feel at home in it, but also a sense of discovery. I haven't found the element panel.

I'm so glad my dongle is on its way so I can get my real work in there and save and stuff.

I've been looking for where I can list the thread posts with the newest ones at the beginning. Has anyone found that?
Mandalaholic

Post by Mandalaholic »

Yeah I was wondering about the forum posts as well. I tried the forum "search" but never found what I was looking for. I was searching particle generators and it displayed a bunch of threads that had nothing to do with particles. So just this new forum format will take some getting used to.
Howdy Yaaaal!
spacecat

Post by spacecat »

Sierra,

did you get the animation Pro?

do we get a discount for switching over from Mirage?

also, how long did it take for you to get your installation CD? they send it from Mexico I think,,,,
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Mandalaholic wrote:Yeah I was wondering about the forum posts as well. I tried the forum "search" but never found what I was looking for. I was searching particle generators and it displayed a bunch of threads that had nothing to do with particles. So just this new forum format will take some getting used to.
Hi, Mandalaholic,

Unfortunately the TVPaint Community Forum search function is not good. It's virtually non-functional. Very frustrating.

That's about the only thing that isn't improved from Mirage to TVP . Hopefully now that more time and financial resources have been freed up from the recently settled legal proceedings the TVPaint crew will be able to improve the website and user forum.

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

spacecat wrote: do we get a discount for switching over from Mirage?

also, how long did it take for you to get your installation CD?

they send it from Mexico I think,,,,

Metz, France actually and it takes about 3 days if I recall. :D

Here's the info. about the 60%-off discount :

Discount price for Mirage license holders

Mandalaholic

Post by Mandalaholic »

Thats a bit of a bummer about the search option DT.
That feature in other forums is so valuable. Saves us having to bombard the other forum members with too many questions.
I have another silly question.
I'm not good with currency exchange rates. How much does the upgrade for Mirage users cost in US currency?
Howdy Yaaaal!
spacecat

Post by spacecat »

I would like to know too :)
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

Some things will be improved in the forum soon, stay tuned.
Fabrice Debarge
Sierra Rose

Post by Sierra Rose »

I paid about $600 dollars. Then I downloaded the demo, which will become fully functional when the dongle arrives, I expect. I don't know how long that takes to come from France. I did see Mexico was the only distributor for the US, but that might change with the legal changes?
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Mandalaholic wrote:Thats a bit of a bummer about the search option DT.
That feature in other forums is so valuable. Saves us having to bombard the other forum members with too many questions.

I have another silly question.
I'm not good with currency exchange rates. How much does the upgrade for Mirage users cost in US currency?
Well, hopefully the user forum will be upgraded soon with a functional search feature. I think they've chosen to spend their efforts in upgrading the TVP software , so some things like the user forum may have had to take a backseat until all the legal bother was cleared up (which obviously it has been at this point ; the sudden closure of the Bauhaus Software forum signals the end.)

There are a number of online Currency Convertors such as :

http://www.gocurrency.com/

Euros to U.S. dollars .

Keep in mind that you have two versions of the software to choose between : TVP Animation 8.5 (basic edition) and TVP Animation PRO 8.5 , which has some extra features. TVP PRO 8.5 is more expensive .

The list of features is here (which also shows what has changed since Mirage :

http://www.tvpaint.com/index.php?option ... &Itemid=78

Some of the extra features in TVP PRO you may not need (?) . TVP PRO has more Rendering FX , more Transition FX, more Distortion FX ... if those are things you don't have much use for then you might not want to pay the extra money for TVP PRO ? TVP PRO also has an option for a vertical X-sheet more like traditional animation X-sheet, but if you are used to using a horizontal timeline then you won't miss the vertical X-sheet.

I believe it is possible to download the Trial versions of both TVP Animation and TVP Animation PRO , so try them and see the differences to make up your mind.

HOWEVER , keep in mind that if you own a license of TVPaint 4.0, TVPaint 5.0 sold as Aura 1.0, TVPaint 6.x sold as Aura 2.x and Aura Toaster, TVPaint 7.x sold as Mirage 1.x and TVPaint 8.x sold as TVP Animation 8.x Standard Edition you currently qualify for the 60% discount price on the upgrade to TVP PRO at 380 Euros which as of today (May 6, 2008) is $587 dollars.
Last edited by D.T. Nethery on 06 May 2008, 15:07, edited 1 time in total.

Paul Fierlinger

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

Sierra K Rose wrote:I paid about $600 dollars. Then I downloaded the demo, which will become fully functional when the dongle arrives, I expect. I don't know how long that takes to come from France. I did see Mexico was the only distributor for the US, but that might change with the legal changes?
You should be getting an e-mail frpm Fabrice. Nothing has to be shipped. The dongle you have just gets a TVP code.
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

Sierra, I sent you an email yesterday with the download links and codes, did you receive it ?

no matters, I will send you a new one. :)
Fabrice Debarge
Sierra Rose

Post by Sierra Rose »

spacecat wrote:Sierra,

did you get the animation Pro?

do we get a discount for switching over from Mirage?

also, how long did it take for you to get your installation CD? they send it from Mexico I think,,,,
I forgot to answer all your questions, sorry. I did go for the Pro version. And yes it was quite a good discount...60% I think. The exhange rate on the day I bought it was 1.6, I think.
Paul Fierlinger

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

By the way mine showed up in the junk mail folder. Look there.
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
fanany

Post by fanany »

yeap, afaik, the special offer concerns the Mirage owners,
tvpa will use the same (Mirage) dongle to work unlimited.

you just have to wait for your personnal unlock code.
:)