Drawing on a Mac

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
User 767

Re: Drawing on a Mac

Post by User 767 »

I'd get him a pencil, a pad of paper, and [maybe] an eraser. Probably best to get rid of the computer entirely.
Sierra Rose

Post by Sierra Rose »

I'd get him a pencil, a pad of paper, and [maybe] an eraser. Probably best to get rid of the computer entirely
Respectfully, I just totally disagree with that. I sat down almost 4 years ago to learn to draw and I mostly worked on my Wacom except when I was away from my computer. I became such a maniac for drawing, it's all I did for 8-12 hours a day.

The learning curve was far speedier and easier during the Wacom sessions than the paper sessions. I think Paul Fierlinger once described it as the difference between walking in sand or ice skating.
WinXP 32bit 10.0.17Pro
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

I'm really curious about the results of a child learning to draw on a tablet first. Maybe Paul and I belong to the last generation who learned drawing with real media in real life. And because we've learned it before we could adapt to tablets so easily and achieve results as good as on paper. But I doubt that a child starting to draw on a tablet only will make the same progress as a child drawing on paper (or the walls, furniture, the cat ...).
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
Sierra Rose

Post by Sierra Rose »

I wouldn't deny him paper and pencil and erasers and chalk and paint etc...I just wouldn't worry if he prefers the tablet. Things are not "either/or" for me but rather "try everything."
WinXP 32bit 10.0.17Pro
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

slowtiger wrote:I'm really curious about the results of a child learning to draw on a tablet first. Maybe Paul and I belong to the last generation who learned drawing with real media in real life. And because we've learned it before we could adapt to tablets so easily and achieve results as good as on paper. But I doubt that a child starting to draw on a tablet only will make the same progress as a child drawing on paper (or the walls, furniture, the cat ...).
Believe me, Childrens use to learn really faster than us ! :)

Thus, I agree with Sierra, they have to try everything. Real watercolors, pencils, chalk, etc ... are so pleasant !
Fabrice Debarge
User 767

Post by User 767 »

Physiologically, I don't think it's good for anyone to sit in front of a computer screen. Kids need to have distant eye focus (all of us do). Sitting in front of a computer doesn't do that. Nonstop flickering (regardless of the refresh rate) imparts physical and mental changes. Kids who play video games, watch TV, have extensive use of computers, are noticeably different from the kids who don't do that-in a behavioral way. [and, yes, I believe it goes beyond socioeconomic and basic personality traits-just look at a kid change once they're in front of a 'screen'].

If he's interested in drawing, how did that information come out? Is he interested in drawing on a computer specifically (and why)? Or just wants to learn to draw? Parental interpretations can inflict a lot of unnecessary grief on kids. When kids that are around me express an interest in something, I try to spend time with them fulfilling that interest. It works really well. "I want to learn to draw" can be fulfilled in a lot of ways. I can't imagine a more effective and rewarding method than actually sitting down and 'doing' it with him.

I wonder how much better you would be able to draw if you had toughed it out a little and done it on paper, then shifted to the 'tablet'? Do you draw from imagination, or from something in front of you? Aren't you among the people who appreciate Frederick Franck? How's that philosophy work with a 'tablet'?

Oh well. I hope he learns to draw in a fulfilling way. Hardly matters what I think anyway, right?
Paul Fierlinger

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

Kids do not draw so much what's in front of them as what they are familiar with. They have an urge to draw life as they know it and most of that is in their heads. Computers are here to stay and the sooner a kid becomes acquainted with them the better. I'm on the side of letting them draw with anything and in any way they want to. If all the choices are there, kids will one day draw on a computer, the next on paper. After a couple of years most of them will give it up and play video games and become idiots and good machine gunners and students at animation schools.
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
ingie01

Post by ingie01 »

My most memorable event as a child was drawing/painting on a entire bedroom wall. It was to be renovated and my uncle and aunt decided to let my cousins and I do what we wanted with the supplies provided by them. It was marvelous! I felt so empowered and I didn't even know the world around me. At that point all I wanted was that feeling. Naturally we kids were not only painting marking the wall but each other.
Empowerment is the key to a lifetime of appreciation.......
Sierra Rose

Post by Sierra Rose »

I'm still intrigued by an article I read that people used to draw generally. I admire that it was considered a natural part of human expression and one didn't have to think of oneself as an artist to be able to illustrate the world around as part of every day life.

Taking the time and attention to really observe is the key for me and just that much is therapeutic in a hectic world.
WinXP 32bit 10.0.17Pro
radams6

Post by radams6 »

Sierra K Rose wrote:I'm still intrigued by an article I read that people used to draw generally. I admire that it was considered a natural part of human expression and one didn't have to think of oneself as an artist to be able to illustrate the world around as part of every day life.

Taking the time and attention to really observe is the key for me and just that much is therapeutic in a hectic world.
You are correct, that not only drawing but also playing and singing music, etc.. was just part of daily life.
Now most of that is lost...along with even knowing how to cook and sit down to enjoy the food and each others company...without a TV or something on.
At least here in the US...this has been a not so good change in society.

When I live in Switzerland...this was not the case...drawing, music, cooking, and eating together...was still a center part of life.
It was so wonderful, helping to give everyone a better connection to themselves, each other and the world around them.

I hope that here in the US we can go back to living a more rounded life...that takes time to enjoy the wonders and beauty around us...

Cheers,
Ray Adams

Visual FX Supervisor
R Creative Touch
Sierra Rose

Post by Sierra Rose »

Hey Ray,

I haven't heard from you for over a hundred thousand years. What a pleasure! I have missed you.

Yes, there is this awful busy-ness to earn money, perhaps going after more than people really need. We've paid a big price for our over-consumerism.
WinXP 32bit 10.0.17Pro
radams6

Post by radams6 »

Sierra K Rose wrote:Hey Ray,

I haven't heard from you for over a hundred thousand years. What a pleasure! I have missed you.

Yes, there is this awful busy-ness to earn money, perhaps going after more than people really need. We've paid a big price for our over-consumerism.

Hi Sierra,

I missed chatting with all of you too :)

Cheers,
Ray Adams

Visual FX Supervisor
R Creative Touch
TVPaint
Site Admin

Post by TVPaint »

You are welcome Ray ! It has been a long time, you was missing us !! :)
Paul Fierlinger

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

You've lost weight Ray! :D
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
radams6

Post by radams6 »

Paul Fierlinger wrote:You've lost weight Ray! :D
hehehe, Not really...thou I'm working on it :)

How are you doing Paul ?

How goes the film ?

Cheers,

Ray
Ray Adams

Visual FX Supervisor
R Creative Touch