Issues with the " Tools Brush: Change size "

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
Eta

Issues with the " Tools Brush: Change size "

Post by Eta »

Hello,

I've been using Mirage at school for quiet some time. I finally decided to purchase a copy for home as well. I run Mac OSx 10.5. Duel 2.16gz with 2gb of ram. TVP 9 runs very smoothly except for one function, the " Tools Brush: Change size " which happens to be one of my favorite. On the much less powerful machines at school this function has no issues the resize is smooth, while on my computer the resize is incredibly slow, and while accurate to the .01 it's near impossible to adjust it quickly.

I was wondering if anyone else had a similar problem, or a solution to this problem.

Many thanks,
malcooning

Re: Issues with the " Tools Brush: Change size "

Post by malcooning »

I can't remember the tool options on Mirag (it's been a long while since I've used it), but on your home computer, when you select the resize tool, do you have 'AntiAliasing' box ticked? If it exists, try unchecking it.
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

Hi Eta,

Welcome in the TVP community !
There are several ways to change the size of a brush, which one do you use ?
Attachments
size.jpg
size.jpg (64.04 KiB) Viewed 20328 times
Fabrice Debarge
Eta

Post by Eta »

Hi,
Thank you for the responses.

@ malcooning: It's not a matter of AAliasing, it's still laggy and difficult to use when on and off. It also works on and off on my schools machines.

@Fabrice: Thank you for the response, I however fear you missed the issue. When I use this I'm usually resizing of a pen or air brush. It allows for quick resizes without having to move the cursor to the arrows. I also do not know the exact size of the pen I want, and with this tool I can get exactly that.

Simply all the tool does is take a point from which you click and drag, calculates that length between point one and held length and creates a circle with the radius of the line you just drew and poof that's the size of your new brush. It really shouldn't be a tax on the computer but when I watch memory used by TVP it jumps from about 10% of cpu usage to 50%-80% when using this tool.

Thanks again.
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

Simply all the tool does is take a point from which you click and drag, calculates that length between point one and held length and creates a circle with the radius of the line you just drew and poof that's the size of your new brush. It really shouldn't be a tax on the computer but when I watch memory used by TVP it jumps from about 10% of cpu usage to 50%-80% when using this tool.
sorry, but I'm not sure to understand ... please can you post some screenshots or a video ?
Fabrice Debarge
Svengali

Post by Svengali »

Fabrice,

It's a keyboard shortcut for resizing the pen. For what it's worth, I tried "Tools Brush:Change Size" both on my old copy of Mirage 1.5 and on TVPaint 9 Pro on the PC. Resizing in Mirage is continuous and instantaneous but in TVPaint it is noticeably slower (circle updates less often) when changing size.

Sven
Eta

Post by Eta »

Hey,

Svengali hit that on the nail. I'm glad to hear it's not just my mac :)

Here's a set of screen shot of what the resize looks like as well as cpu usage while tool is in use and not in use.
(during regular use)
(while tool is in use)
I hope that helps.

Edit: Here is the tool I am talking about.
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

You don't have to click on your shortcut. Just roll with your mouse or click on + or - to change the brush size ^^

I don't have any problem when I do that and I am on mac and pc =)

edit : but you're right, when I use the shortcut, its very slow too.
Eta

Post by Eta »

Elodie wrote:You don't have to click on your shortcut. Just roll with your mouse or click on + or - to change the brush size ^^

I don't have any problem when I do that and I am on mac and pc =)

edit : but you're right, when I use the shortcut, its very slow too.
@ Elodie: Firstly I use a tablet/pen to draw, so scrolling is inefficient as it involves putting down my pen to use a scroll wheel or pad. I'm aware I can use the arrows to resize my pen but that involves additional motion. The reason I like this tool so much is that my pen could remain in the area I was working, and that I could very exact brush sizes to fill the area I was working on.

It wasn't so much that I didn't know other ways of resizing my brush, it's that the function doesn't work properly. It's a great tool, one of my favorite. Just wanted to let you guys know that it appears to be buggy.
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

You're right to want to set this bug. And sorry for my last post, it was very useless (I think I wasn't totally awaken XD)

Hervé cares about, I think he will have the solution =)

EDIT : the bug is fixed. It will be available in the next update. Thanks both for noticing the bug ^^
Eta

Post by Eta »

Yay! I'm very glad the bug was easy to fix. I'll look forward to the next patch :)

Thanks for everything!