Drawing copied to following frames?

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
StopmoNick

Drawing copied to following frames?

Post by StopmoNick »

I don't know if this is a bug, or the way some animators prefer to work - but here's what happens, and does anyone know how to stop it?
I create a new animation layer in TVP 9 Animation, and drag it out to 20 frames with nothing on them. I draw something on frame one, say it's a falling ball. Then I go to frame 2 to draw it in a new position, but what I drew in frame 1 is there too! (Onionskinning/light table is turned off, it's not a ghosted image from the frame before.) In fact, all 20 frames are copies of frame 1. If I draw on frame 2, that gets copied to all the following frames as well, but not to frame 1. When I draw on frame 3, it's on all frames except 1 and 2.
I can do 2 things - I can go and erase the frame 1 ball from al the other frames, then erase the frame 2 ball from all the frames after...
Or, I can create just one frame, draw the ball on it, then drag it to create a blank frame, then draw on frame 2, drag it out for one more frame and draw on frame 3... it's possible, but very slow. This didn't happen in earlier versions (Aura, Mirage).
The first time I noticed it, I had created an Image layer, then converted it to an Anim layer, then extended it. . So the next time I made it an Anim layer from the start, but it still did the same thing. It did the same with an imported sequence of images. I was painting out a support rod on my puppet, and I saw it had painted over the same spot on all the following frames, which didn't help because the rod was moving to a new position each frame.
What I want to do is create the number of frames I need in one operation, then draw what I want on the frame I want, without it appearing on other frames. Is there some setting I don't know about?

In case it's a bug - I'm using a Mac Pro dual quad-core 3 ghz Xeon, (last year's model), OS X 10.5.8 Leopard.
ematecki
Site Admin

Re: Drawing copied to following frames?

Post by ematecki »

You have to read lesson 4 "Temporal Management of Layers" of the user manual.
This is a very powerfull feature of TVP Animation.

You should really spend the time to understand this concept, but to solve rapidly your problem,
in the "Increase Layer Length" panel that pops up when stretching your layer, you have to select "Add Empty Images".
Quicktime is DEAD. Get over it and move on !
ZigOtto

Post by ZigOtto »

or use the Animator Panel/Layer/Add Tweens button
(+N empty images added after each existing one in the animlayer).
StopmoNick

Post by StopmoNick »

Thanks for your replies!

I've never heard of the Animator Panel, so I can look for it and find the Add Tweens, and see if that helps.
Um... I haven't read Lesson 4 of the User Manual, because I didn't get a TVP manual when I upgraded from Mirage! And I never had this problem with Mirage.
I do select "add empty images" when I stretch my layer. And the images are empty at first. But as soon as I draw something on one of them, it appears on all the images following it. Wouldn't most animators, most of the time, want to draw only on the image they are drawing on?
I'll see if there is a manual that I can download so I can look up that chapter.
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

StopmoNick wrote:Thanks for your replies!

I've never heard of the Animator Panel, so I can look for it and find the Add Tweens, and see if that helps.
Um... I haven't read Lesson 4 of the User Manual, because I didn't get a TVP manual when I upgraded from Mirage! And I never had this problem with Mirage.
I do select "add empty images" when I stretch my layer. And the images are empty at first. But as soon as I draw something on one of them, it appears on all the images following it. Wouldn't most animators, most of the time, want to draw only on the image they are drawing on?
I'll see if there is a manual that I can download so I can look up that chapter.
Please download the manual from the website : http://www.tvpaint.com/v2/content/artic ... manual.php :)

There are also video tutorials about stop motion : http://www.tvpaint.com/training/tuto10m ... stopmo.php
Fabrice Debarge