Floating canvas resize to fit on zoom?

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
KenC

Floating canvas resize to fit on zoom?

Post by KenC »

When you have a project window floating (i.e not fullscreen) is there anyway to have the window fit the canvas when you zoom in and out?
There's no place like ~/
Fabrice

Re: Floating canvas resize to fit on zoom?

Post by Fabrice »

right click on the [F] button of the project panel. :)
Fabrice Debarge
KenC

Post by KenC »

That's cool. Would be nice if there was a preference setting so that happened automatically when zooming.

When working with a bunch of reference images I'm constantly zooming in/out to check if my values are working and such and when the window doesn't resize to fit it end up covering some other window so you have to move it or right click on F all the time.
There's no place like ~/
Peter Wassink

Post by Peter Wassink »

KenC wrote:T...
When working with a bunch of reference images I'm constantly zooming in/out to check if my values are working and such ...
i'm not sure if i understand your problem, but did you know that you can open a second window of the same project?
this way you can have one window zoomed in and another at 100% to see how the result works.

see image here: in this example one window is at 500% and one in 100% (the other window is the navigator, but that doesn't update in realtime)
you can draw in both windows and the result will be visible in both.
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM
thearts

Post by thearts »

since we are talking about resizing canvas here ,

i have a quick question ,

when i'm drawing in tvpaint image layer , can i add more canvas to my current size ? or are those size fixed and i can't change it ?

for example: Image

i drew her too big , so i wanna add more canvas to the bottom so i can draw the rest of her body ? can i do that ?
KenC

Post by KenC »

@Peter Yep I know I can do that. It's just that I sometimes have 10-15 reference images floating around. I tab to one of them and maybe zoom in to check something, but the window stays the same size so I have to resize it. Then I zoom back out so I can see the whole image more like a thumb, and then have to resize that window so it doesn't overlap anything.

@thearts You can go to project menu/Modify project and change the size there.
There's no place like ~/
ZigOtto

Post by ZigOtto »

thearts wrote:... can i add more canvas to my current size ? or are those size fixed and i can't change it ?
as mentioned by Ken, Modify Project... but don't forget to keep the "Resize" gadget cheched OFF,
or alternatively, you can use the Crop tool, the Cropped bounding box can be set outside the project boundaries,
by this way, the content of your project won't change, and you can extend your page exactly where you need, all in once,
(in your example, downward).
:wink:
Peter Wassink

Post by Peter Wassink »

ZigOtto wrote:
thearts wrote:... can i add more canvas to my current size ? or are those size fixed and i can't change it ?
as mentioned by Ken, Modify Project... but don't forget to keep the "Resize" gadget cheched OFF,
or alternatively, you can use the Crop tool, the Cropped bounding box can be set outside the project boundaries,
by this way, the content of your project won't change, and you can extend your page exactly where you need, all in once,
(in your example, downward).
:wink:
yes indeed, the crop tool is perfect for adjusting the project dimensions during working on it
Peter Wassink

Post by Peter Wassink »

KenC wrote:@Peter Yep I know I can do that. It's just that I sometimes have 10-15 reference images floating around. I tab to one of them and maybe zoom in to check something, but the window stays the same size so I have to resize it. Then I zoom back out so I can see the whole image more like a thumb, and then have to resize that window so it doesn't overlap anything.
i see, i have no idea for a solution to this, although....maybe a feature like that one in OSX: where you have this button that spreads out all applications evenly over the screen (like playing cards) and you can click on the one you want and it comes to the front, full screen.
that would be cool to have in TVP 8)
malcooning

Post by malcooning »

Ken (is this your name?),
If I understood your qualm correctly, give these 2 buttons try a. I use them all the time for reference images, and to inspect my drawings at smaller views.
Attachments
zoom.tvpx
(151.5 KiB) Downloaded 1057 times
KenC

Post by KenC »

Yeah Ken is my name (Well it's Kenneth, but everyone allways end up calling me Ken)

That panel works great, just what I was looking for, thanks :D

Now if the bug where only the first window opened will zoom even if another window has the focus is fixed then I'm in business.
There's no place like ~/
Sewie

Post by Sewie »

malcooning wrote:...
If I understood your qualm correctly, give these 2 buttons try a. I use them all the time for reference images, and to inspect my drawings at smaller views.
That is a great panel! Thanks, Malc.

Is it possible to keep the smaller window in front of the bigger window at all times ? Right now I have a smaller window floating over a big one. When I draw in the big window it keeps snapping over the small one.. Can I prevent this ?
Michael Sewnarain - Website
Windows 11/64b Pro - TVP11.7.0 & 11.7.1 - Pro/64b - Cintiq32 Pro - Intel i7-12700K - 64Gb RAM
malcooning

Post by malcooning »

you're welcome. I'm glad it helps.
KenC wrote:Now if the bug where only the first window opened will zoom even if another window has the focus is fixed then I'm in business.
What you need to get used to is to change window focus by clicking INSIDE the project window, not on the window title bar. If you get used to that, you'll be switching windows in one click. I don't like this behavior either, but it's not a bug really. I believe the idea behind it is that you would be able to shift project windows around your TVP-desktop (by dragging them by their title bars) without changing focus from the active project window.
Sewie wrote:Is it possible to keep the smaller window in front of the bigger window at all times ?
Not at the moment. But this has been requested quite sternly, so I believe soon this will be possible.
KenC

Post by KenC »

malcooning wrote: What you need to get used to is to change window focus by clicking INSIDE the project window, not on the window title bar. If you get used to that, you'll be switching windows in one click. I don't like this behavior either, but it's not a bug really. I believe the idea behind it is that you would be able to shift project windows around your TVP-desktop (by dragging them by their title bars) without changing focus from the active project window.
I see the usefullness in that, but when using larger brushes it's hard to not hit the canvas and accidentally stamp the brush, I keep my windows as "tight" as possible so there's very little outside canvas area to click on.

I guess I can just get used to using TAB instead.
There's no place like ~/
malcooning

Post by malcooning »

KenC wrote:I see the usefullness in that, but when using larger brushes it's hard to not hit the canvas and accidentally stamp the brush, I keep my windows as "tight" as possible so there's very little outside canvas area to click on.
I guess I can just get used to using TAB instead.
You can also click on the canvas itself (you don't need to hunt for the rims). If you are focused on one window, and then just single-click on the canvas of another window, the brush is NOT being stamped, and the focus moves to that window. Anyway, this is how it works for me here. I tested it on a desktop with a Wacom intuos and a single-click on a 2nd window did not stamp the large brush I had loaded. It also works when I click+drag on an unfocused window.

If you are still getting your brush stamped (which means undesired behavior and should be reported to TVP) you can ALT+Click an unfocused window, and this will ensure you won't be stamping anything (this of course in the condition that you have your fingers ready on a keyboard).

Personally I find TAB too exhausting when working with many files, especially if they are large ones. It's a bit silly to have to go through the whole round of your windows just to get to the one which already sits right there in front so diligently resized to fit neighborly with the other opened windows. A spread of the open windows in the style of Mac Expose will be the most useful feature for such cases (we can live without the suave animation too). The previous (now gone) Project Panel was building up to be such feature, but it has been replaced to host previews of clips.