Switch 'Pan Canvas' to other keys?

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
whazzup

Switch 'Pan Canvas' to other keys?

Post by whazzup »

hi, is it possible to do the above? i'll like to change the default ALT button to Space....

If not, is there a workaround/hack?
Elodie

Re: Switch 'Pan Canvas' to other keys?

Post by Elodie »

No, it's not possible, you will have to use the Alt button =)
whazzup

Post by whazzup »

i see...are there any reasons why tat can't be done? juz find it weird....
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

That's not weird : this shortcut is linked to the software (I don't know how explain this in English, sorry) and you cannot change it. It's a little like you wanted to change a feature, or the icons in the main panel. :wink:
ZigOtto

Post by ZigOtto »

whazzup wrote:i see...are there any reasons why tat can't be done? juz find it weird....
if the Alt key is missing in your keyboard, you can alternatively use the numeric pad keys (1 to 9)
to scroll your project in 8 directions, ... until you get a new "full-keys" keyboard. :mrgreen: :wink:
whazzup

Post by whazzup »

ZigOtto wrote:
whazzup wrote:i see...are there any reasons why tat can't be done? juz find it weird....
if the Alt key is missing in your keyboard, you can alternatively use the numeric pad keys (1 to 9)
to scroll your project in 8 directions, ... until you get a new "full-keys" keyboard. :mrgreen: :wink:

ah...it's not because i dun have a full keys keyboard, but i'm more familiar with the spacebar as the Pan tool (In Photoshop), so i'm trying to setup the keys to resemble tat. My fingers have long been trained to seek the spacebar for panning, so it's pretty jarring to have to remind myself constantly, especially when i'm using both tvpaint and photoshop at the same time....

I just do not understand why there are so many shortcuts tat can be changed, yet the ALT key, a shortcut key used so often, is fixed. Hence my question above...
Paul Fierlinger

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

You could glue a thin metal or plastic strip to the two Alt keys and create a new space bar below the conventional one, or you could get PhotoShop to switch their Space bar function to Alt.
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

I just do not understand why there are so many shortcuts tat can be changed, yet the ALT key, a shortcut key used so often, is fixed. Hence my question above...
because you have some other shortcut linked :
Alt + [key]
Alt + Ctrl [key]
etc ...
Fabrice Debarge
Peter Wassink

Post by Peter Wassink »

Paul Fierlinger wrote:You could glue a thin metal or plastic strip to the two Alt keys and create a new space bar below the conventional one, or you could get PhotoShop to switch their Space bar function to Alt.
:mrgreen:

Actually Alt alternated with Alt + RMB is a very powerfull way of navigating your project.
if you hold the ALT key and move sideways your Pen/Mouse while pressing the Frontswitch/RightMouseButton. you can zoom stepless. its very intuitive.
And i miss it whenever i'm in photoshop.
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM
Sewie

Post by Sewie »

I agree; once you get used to it, it is very powerful and intuitive.
But can it not be a new feature to have that option (changing the function of the 'alt' key, or switching it with the spacebar) in a future version of TVP? Or is that impossible as well ?

By now I'm used to the 'alt' key for scrolling and zooming, etc. But it was pretty hard stepping into TVP when I began working with it. It is one of the reasons why I think the learning curve can be pretty steep for new users. To give the user the choice to have keyboard shortcuts closer to what he/she is used to would make the software a bit more user friendlier, I believe...
Michael Sewnarain - Website
Windows 11/64b Pro - TVP11.7.0 & 11.7.1 - Pro/64b - Cintiq32 Pro - Intel i7-12700K - 64Gb RAM
Paul Fierlinger

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

I don't understand Fabrice's answer:
He's saying that ALT has been used for some time in combination with other keys and that that combination can be assigned to anything you want, usually a CP button. I for one would be upset if anything changed because PS newbies refuse to be adaptable. Do musicians complain that all string instruments aren't made with the same length necks?
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
Sewie

Post by Sewie »

At the moment the 'alt' is exclusively tied up into other functions...? I assumed that's what he meant when I thought about it a little longer (and why I edited that part out, pardon).
(What is a CP button?)
I for one would be upset if anything changed because PS newbies refuse to be adaptable.
Now that I have gotten used to it, I would not change the function of the 'alt' button for myself. But I do think it would be good if that option was be available for any newbie (it would make stepping into TVP a bit more accessible) or for users who need to go back and forth between other graphics software (PS, illustrator for example) and TVP.

We've had a somewhat similar discussion over here.
Michael Sewnarain - Website
Windows 11/64b Pro - TVP11.7.0 & 11.7.1 - Pro/64b - Cintiq32 Pro - Intel i7-12700K - 64Gb RAM
KenC

Post by KenC »

AutoHotKey is your friend. One of the first things I did was to remap space to alt when TVP is active. I go back and forth between different graphics programs depending on what I'm doing, so it's nice to have a consistant keyboard scheme.

Google it, it's free and you can easily remap ANY key to whatever you want.

Here's a script that does what you want.

#ifWinActive ahk_class TVP Animation 9 Pro
{
Space::
{
send {Alt down}
Loop
{
sleep, 10
GetKeyState, state, Space, p
if state = u
break
}