Floodfill rectangle option

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
Fran Gonzalez

Floodfill rectangle option

Post by Fran Gonzalez »

Hi people.

I was wondering if it exists any way to fill drawings with a rectangle shape , the way than other painting softwares do. I mean,
when you are filling line art you find in every drawing too many zones that the floodfill do not reaches, especially if you have
any value in the close gap option. Other packages (as Cartoon Television Program) has an excellent tool for painting that uses
the paint bucket letting you making a rectangle and every closed zone finded inside this rectangle is filled with the color selected.
In TVP i must fill this zones drawing with the brush, doing zoom to hit in the exact zone, but it's more time consuming and a annoying task.

Exists any kind of script or fill mode that i can use to paint quickly? I tried the gap closer and expand option together, but still appearing
zones that paint do not reachs.

Thank you.
Elodie

Re: Floodfill rectangle option

Post by Elodie »

If I understood you well, you simply want to fill drawings, isn't it ?

So, make a drawing :
fill01.png
fill01.png (28.56 KiB) Viewed 15590 times
Create a new layer under this drawing :
fill02.png
fill02.png (31.6 KiB) Viewed 15590 times
Take the Flood fill tool and configure it like this (for example) :
fill03.png
fill03.png (38.68 KiB) Viewed 15590 times
Be sure you've put the source "Front" =)

Then, fill your drawing. And as you can see, there are no "white" pixels =)
fill04.png
fill04.png (37.47 KiB) Viewed 14411 times
The Gap closer must be used when your drawing lines are not perfect (with little gaps). Exapnd will expand the flood of X pixels. The range is used when you want to take into account more colors and transparency to your flood fill. It's a little hard to explain, but make your own test : Take a photo and try to fill a zone with different range value : the more this value is high, the more the flood fill tool will take into account the different shades.
Peter Wassink

Post by Peter Wassink »

when filling a selection, the TVP fill tool still looks outside of the selection to see if in the whole of the project surface that drawing section is closed.
It just fills it as if the selection was NOT there and then only actually shows the fill where the selection is.
instead of using the selection edge as a border that closes off a section

in this example

i think Fran would like to see B happening, whereas now A is happening.
fill-selection.jpg
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM
Fran Gonzalez

Post by Fran Gonzalez »

Hi again. Thanks for the quick replies. I will try to make a better explaination.
Nothing about make selections, its only a method to paint quickly. If you take a look to other animation software you will find
several options that accelerates the painting process. I think TVP do not have advanced tools to this part of the animation and the paint bucket
is very basic. Please take a look to this picture i made to explain. Maybe i would be able to post in the request features section.

Notice that only the buttons are colored because they're the only closed zones that the rectangle finded.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Hm, I can see the advantage in this image, but I can as well imagine a lot of trouble in others. I think I would not like this kind of functionality - but again, if I had the choice it would be nice.

In general I have had a bit of trouble with TVP's way of dealing with stencils and selections in combination. I expected it to operate boolean: stencil and selection together would define the acive area. But it always ignores the selection and uses just the stencil.

OTOH, several stencils (different layers) can be activated at the same time, and they add and subtract from each other as I expect (although only reliable with 2 stencils or with all in the same mode, if I have 3 I get weird results when mixing + and - stencils).

A selection works as I expect only when no stencil is activated.
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
Animark

Post by Animark »

Hey guys,
didn't you never used this nice function described by Fran Gonzales? I know it from CTP and Animo and it speeds up the process of coloring images a lot. The example drawing with the knobs on the jacked illustrates the function very well. But think about scanned drawings at a high resolution. There are often little white/transparent spots inside the lines since they are not 100% perfectly made with a pencil. With that function it would be very easy to fill them. Is there any comparable way to do that in TVPaint? I don't know.
TVPaint 10.5.7 - Win10/64
TVPaint 11.0.8 - Win10/64
TVPaint 11.0.8 - Win10/64 (Wacom Companion 2)
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

I have those spots in my lines all the time, but don't care about them because they will get invisible once the scene gets a BG.
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5