A small medley of questions

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
Cloakndagger

A small medley of questions

Post by Cloakndagger »

1) Made my first animation, just a few seconds long. Very proud of it and it looks professional when I play it back in TVP. I'm having difficulty exporting it. I've looked for some tutorials but have found nothing other than a few mentions of exporting here on the boards. If anyone has an exhaustive tutorial about how to export, what to export to depending on what you want (For instance, I want both a JPEG version of it to easily link on boards, plus maybe a quicktime version I can load up to facebook). I'm looking for something that covers the why's and the details behind each choice, as I'm brand new to this program and don't understand the implications of those small options.

2) I started my first project at 30 FPS, but want the final version to be 24 FPS. Now, while I can view my animation in TVP at any frame rate, the program knows the final product will be in the originally locked in setting of 30 FPS, which I'm trying to change. Is there a way to do this or am I locked in?

3) I got a Wacom Tablet (21ux, got lucky I found one on store shelves and got it immediately) and it came with this absolutely killer application called Corel Painter Sketch Pad. I'm not sure if any of you are familiar with this program, but the sketching and painting on it on default settings, right out of the box, are vastly superior to anything I've been able to set up in photoshop or through settings on TVP. The sketching is smooth, the painting is professional grade immediately, it's just a superior artistic tool for me. Is there any way I can mimic these stroke settings in TVP, or somehow transport the brushes or brush settings from Corel Painter Sketch Pad over to TVP? I understand this may be too specific or reaching for the stars but I thought I'd ask.

As always, I'm happy there's such a strong community here. I appreciate your guys' help ahead of time. Thanks.
StopmoNick

Re: A small medley of questions

Post by StopmoNick »

I'm not one of the experts here, but I do export QTs and JPGs regularly, and I have imported some images into a project set to the wrong frame rate a couple of times. So there may be a way to re-set the frame rate without adding/losing frames, but at least this is what works for me.

If you export a sequence of Jpegs, the frame rate won't matter, they will just be images. Then you could import them into a new project with the frame rate you prefer. I'm assuming the project is at 30 fps and you want every frame, so it plays back slightly slower at 24 fps. If you export as a QT and change the rate I think it will add or drop frames to keep the overall running time the same.
To export Jpgs -
Go to File at the top, then down the menu to Export Project To.
The Export window pops up. On the left, towards the top, is Format. Click on it and find Jpg on the list. Mode should read RGB.
Set Compression - 100 means best quality, lower figures mean lower quality, more compression.
Click on Browse, then select a location to save the images. You can make a folder to put them in.
(I re-set my preferences so the file requester is System, so the drives and folders look like they usually do, not TVP's weird looking file requester. Your choice. Look in Edit>Preferences>Interface.)
Name your file - like Test.jpg - TVP will automatically number each image so they come up as Test001.jpg, Test002.jpg etc. I usually use 3 digits, since with animation I'm not likely to have more than 999 frames in a single shot. Warning - don't use any numerals in the name of the shot like Shot2wide, TVP will think that 2 is the frame numbering and call the next one Take3wide. So I call my shots ShotA_Whatever, ShotB_Whatever.
Click on Save.

With QT Mov files, it's a similar process, only under Format you select QuickTime.
You will then need to select a codec - maybe Animation. For master shots I usually select Uncompressed 4:2:2 8-bit. There is a problem with exporting H264 though, it seems to only save a single frame. (Lightwave 3d has the same problem exporting H264, it's not just TVP). So I export either an image sequence like TGA or Tif or Jpg, or an uncompressed .mov from TVP, then use QT Pro to create the H264 version if I need one for uploading to Youtube or whatever.

I'm not familiar with Corel Painter Sketch Pad so I don't have any suggestions there. I mostly use TVP with photographed stop motion images, with very little drawing involved.
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

Hello,

About the 2)

You should be able to do it through "Project > Modify Project". you might have to play with the "time interpolation" and "stretch to new framerate" options

About the 3)
Is there any way I can mimic these stroke settings in TVP, or somehow transport the brushes or brush settings from Corel Painter Sketch Pad over to TVP? I understand this may be too specific or reaching for the stars but I thought I'd ask.
Please post a screenshot of the rendering you would like to have. :)
Fabrice Debarge
elguappo

Post by elguappo »

Hey There,

any update on the h264 single frame issue?

Mark
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

it comes from Quicktime unfortunalety.
We are exploring other alternative to generate such files, but it takes time.
Fabrice Debarge
Mads Juul

Post by Mads Juul »

elguappo wrote:Hey There,

any update on the h264 single frame issue?

Mark
Simply uncheck the"key frames" in the quicktime settings popup . where you also select the codec
-Mads
Mads Juul
Storyboard Artist
blog: http://mjstoryboard.blogspot.dk/
Mail: mjstoryboard@gmail .com

Windows 10, 64 bit i7-4790 CPU 4.00 Hz,32 GB RAM, With TVP Animation 11 Pro (11.0.2-64bits)
2 Monitors 1920X1080 pixels + 1 Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2