How to Use "Add Border" Properly

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
Greg Smith

How to Use "Add Border" Properly

Post by Greg Smith »

If I understand this tool correctly, I can use a large diameter brush to more simply "block out" a shape, (acting as a fill), and apply the "add border" FX to this shape to produce a nice "toon" outline, after the fact. I like the whole concept since I think in terms of volume rather than line, anyway. But, when I try to apply this tool, what I get is just a much darker shape, no outline. Now, if I first draw an outline and then fill the shape, conventionally, followed by the "add border" FX, then I see an inner outline around the fill, but not around the drawn shape.

I'm sure this is not what was intended, since it would defeat the purpose of the tool. Can someone guide me through the steps to properly apply this tool - for me, working this way will allow me to produce much better results, since my drafting skill using thin lines and a wacom tablet is not up to par.

Thanks,

Greg Smith
Patrice

Post by Patrice »

First draw on the layer. Then Add the "Add Border effect". Be sure you have selected the good layer. A black outline border will appear (if you check the box 'Preview in the FX stack).

See the images below to see the result with a 5 pixels size black border.

With TVP Animation 1.1, it is possible to have the effect on a different layer than the source one.
1 - Draw on the source layer
2 - Create the result layer
3 - Add the "image source" effect (in the colors effect of the FX stack) and choose the layer where you drew as source.
4 - Add the "Add Border" effect and check the "Border Only" box.
5 - Apply
You will have your effect on the result layer (So only the border) and your image source will be the same as before. With this feature you can modify the image source and the border independently.

You can do the same with the "drop shadow" and "Toon Shading" affects.
Attachments
Image + effect
Image + effect
add border 2.jpg (5.13 KiB) Viewed 12506 times
Image source
Image source
add border 1.jpg (4.55 KiB) Viewed 12507 times
Ex TVPaint Team
ZigOtto

Post by ZigOtto »

- just a precision, Add Border FX doesn't works on Color , but on Alpha, surrounding opaque shape(s),
- 2nd precision : you have also the ability to "add border" directly on a brush, via the "Edit Brush" panel,
without using the FX Stack, (see pict.)

ps: graphics courteously from Patrice Art :)
Attachments
brush+border.png
brush+border.png (37.15 KiB) Viewed 12499 times
Greg Smith

Post by Greg Smith »

Thanks for the step-by-step instructions. After I wrote the forum post I realized that what must be the problem had to be due to the opacity and the alpha of the original brush. I was drawing my shape with the air brush or the wet brush, which both have feathered alpha edges, and the "add border" effect just tries to match the range of the alpha channel when it draws the edge. I also had the opacity turned down, so, when trying to match the alpha, the "add border" effect had to make the outline cover the entire shape, thus a general darkening could be observed.

So, to assure that a clean and thin edge is created by the effect, a custom brush with very little feathering or a custom brush with a feathered edge captured at a very large size and then used by scaling down its size pecentage is really what would be required. And, this captured brush must be totally opaque everywhere except the slightly feathered edge, (if capturing at a very large size).

Now I get it.

Thanks,

Greg Smith