Custom Export footage configuration?

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
sharonkatz

Custom Export footage configuration?

Post by sharonkatz »

Is there any way to create a custom Export footage configuration for the Format dialogue box in File > Export to... ?

I work at 24fps and the default QuickTime Export configuration is 30fps, so I have to remember to switch every time I export a clip. Also I like my clips exported at "Best" quality and the default configuration is "Medium".

Is there some way to create, apply, and save an Export configuration template?

Thanks,
Sharon
slowtiger

Re: Custom Export footage configuration?

Post by slowtiger »

Unfortunately not. This is a long standing wish on the features list. (Other software has the very same problem, so I think it's mostly an OS issue.)
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
ZigOtto

Post by ZigOtto »

slowtiger wrote:... so I think it's mostly an OS issue.
or maybe also an "un-friendly Quicktime dev. resources" issue ...?

anyway, +1 for tvpa remembering the last user's settings, or a list of custom presets. :)
Sewie

Post by Sewie »

ZigOtto wrote:
slowtiger wrote: anyway, +1 for tvpa remembering the last user's settings, or a list of custom presets. :)
Are you referring to the beta because this feature is not in the latest version I'm using?
Michael Sewnarain - Website
Windows 11/64b Pro - TVP11.7.0 & 11.7.1 - Pro/64b - Cintiq32 Pro - Intel i7-12700K - 64Gb RAM
ZigOtto

Post by ZigOtto »

Sewie wrote:
ZigOtto wrote: anyway, +1 for tvpa remembering the last user's settings, or a list of custom presets. :)
Are you referring to the beta because this feature is not in the latest version I'm using?
alas, not (yet) a feature, but only the revival of an old wish,
or an exhumed request ... :wink:
Re: Export Panel part of Template Save (Tue May 06, 2008 9:37 pm )
Paul Fierlinger wrote:Each time I export a project, which can be several to many times a day because I work a lot in conjunction with my NLE, I have to go through the same tedious routine:
Custom>DTV/720/change Frame Rate from 12 to 24 before I can push Export. Could not this and all the selections of pathways and Formats and Configs be included in the Project's Memory?
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

or maybe also an "un-friendly Quicktime dev. resources" issue ...?
Yes, I think it's QT's fault because it behaves the same in any other program: Final Cut, Anime Studio, iMovie.

A list of personal presets would be so nice to have. I always use 2 or 3 main settings:
- H264 for small previews (daily)
- PNG with alpha for exchange with other programs (daily)
- Uncompressed 4:2:2 for delivery (rarely used ...)
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
Sewie

Post by Sewie »

And yet After Effects (CS5) uses a system for exporting QT in which the settings of a previous render can be copied to a new one..
Michael Sewnarain - Website
Windows 11/64b Pro - TVP11.7.0 & 11.7.1 - Pro/64b - Cintiq32 Pro - Intel i7-12700K - 64Gb RAM
sharonkatz

Post by sharonkatz »

Final Cut allows the user to create custom settings that are used for both Sequence settings and as Export settings. (After Effects also allows creating and storing custom export presets.)
Final Cut Pro > Audio/Video Settings > Sequence Presets.
When you go to export, use Export > QuickTime Movie rather than Export using QuickTime conversion. The custom settings are in the popup Setting (there are lots of default ones in there too so you need to scroll through.)

All that to say that I don't think it's a QT or OS issue. Hopefully we'll see it in TVPaint soon!
sharonkatz

Post by sharonkatz »

And yes, kudos to TVP for remembering last used settings - so long as we don't quit and restart!
Paul Fierlinger

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

I don't understand your complaint, so let's see if I understand: I export AVIs and use almost every setting there is in the Export Panel including the codec I prefer and the individual settings within the codec itself. Once I make these settings, including the path to the hard drive and file where I want the AVI to be stored, I never have to recreate anything again, whether I close TVP or not, everything is remembered until I make the next change and from then on, that setting is remembered.

So I just now tried to do the same with QT and you are correct, nothing gets remembered. JPG is another Format I use frequently and all the settings also are remembered. I'd say this must be a QT issue, which doesn't surprise me, because QT has consistently caused problems for any software I use (on the PC). Like many other colleagues, I avoid QT like the plague, but there are times when I can't get away with not using it(ad agencies seem to be chained to QT) and then I just bite the bullet and slug through whatever flavor of a problem the latest QT exhibits.
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
sharonkatz

Post by sharonkatz »

It doesn't seem to work that way on the Mac, or at least not on my Mac.

When I export a clip I set the codec, fps (24), quality (high), etc. and export. TVP will remember my settings for all exports until I quit the program. When I restart, it has defaulted back to the original install Export settings (30fps, medium quality).

Is it me, or my particular setup, or does the program work differently for Mac and PC?
Paul Fierlinger

But you set what ? AVI or QT? If it's QT, my PC will not remember QT settings after closing and reopening TVP either. Everything else seems to be preserved in memory.
Paul
sharonkatz

Post by sharonkatz »

I understand, yes, I'm setting the Animation codec in QT... now I get it :)
I'll look into switching to AVI. Thanks for that.
So I guess it is a QT problem... why am I not surprised...
Paul Fierlinger

TVP has an excellent AVI uncompressed codec called, "Uncompressed" :) . Use BGR24 if you have no Alpha channel to export and BGR32 for Alpha export.
Paul
sharonkatz

Post by sharonkatz »

Great, thanks Paul!