How To Best Use the New Sketch Tools

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
Greg Smith

How To Best Use the New Sketch Tools

Post by Greg Smith »

I'm not used to working with alternate colors for roughing, etc., although this seems like it could be the most efficient way of working. Could any of those who use these color methods explain in more detail the differences between using blue or red/orange and when?

Thanks,

Greg Smith
artmaestro

Post by artmaestro »

The best way to use these tools imo are by using the blue or reds to very very quickly rough out ideas and accents and then smooth out the lines or flesh out the accents. Way back when, blue lines were used cause the didn't reproduce when copied so artist felt free to draw over them with out worry about erasing the preliminary lines - it was a freedom thing. I posted a few examples of my own work as examples. I hope this in some way answers your question - I wasn't sure of the nature of your query.
Attachments
bahama mama face prelim final.jpg
bahama mama face prelim final.jpg (79.61 KiB) Viewed 21985 times
Untitled-00.jpg
Untitled-00.jpg (61.66 KiB) Viewed 21985 times
man under the bridge pose prelim.jpg
man under the bridge pose prelim.jpg (71.87 KiB) Viewed 21986 times
artmaestro

Post by artmaestro »

Another example
Attachments
T.D.jpg
T.D.jpg (67.53 KiB) Viewed 21985 times
Greg Smith

Post by Greg Smith »

I understand how the different colors could be used, but how did the inventors of this new palette of tools intend for them to be used? All on one layer or in some other fashion? Also, I've tried the gradient light table settings and can't really see a difference in the display over the standard method. Can anyone enlighten?

Thanks,

Greg Smith
artmaestro

Post by artmaestro »

If it is anything like the Blue pencil case tool/panel from mirage you can use them all on one layer. The various colors can be deleted or put back using the panel all on one image layer.
fabrice_

Post by fabrice_ »

Maybe the difference between the color and gradient mode in the lighttable is more visible with inked pictures.

Look at this picture Greg,
On the left, the lighttable was used without gradient (red color). On the right, it was used with a gradient (from yellow to blue).

The two colors of the sketchator can help you to distinguish two part of a picture : for exemple a character and the background behind him.
So you can decide on which area of the picture you will work in first. (the other areas will stay unchanged if you use the colored erasers).
The idea is to sketch and sketch again, without having to manage the layers, timeline, painting tools parameters, etc ...
Attachments
kid_LT.jpg
kid_LT.jpg (18.61 KiB) Viewed 21965 times

Fabrice Debarge / Beta-Team member / Author of the user-manual.
Peter Wassink

Post by Peter Wassink »

Wow! i love that gradient option.
who thought of that?
very very nice & clever! AND Usefull too!

when you choose the spectrum gradient it even gets very trippy :D

reason enough to ask again:
would it be possible to somehow turn what the lightable shows into solid pixels, i mean like have the lightable as an Stack FX?
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM
fabrice_

Post by fabrice_ »

Click on the title of project window + use the [g] key : you will define it as the current custombrush :wink:

Fabrice Debarge / Beta-Team member / Author of the user-manual.