Why I can't set opacity to pen pressure on most tools?

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
Elodie

Re: Why I can't set opacity to pen pressure on most tools?

Post by Elodie »

gbball wrote:I too have been wondering why the ability to link pressure sensitivity to the opacity setting is conspicuously absent.-G
Power is more or less equivalent to Photoshop's opacity (you manage transparency, which depends on the value and the connection).
Opacity is the maximum transparency's level you will obtain.

Their behavior is in fact very very similar. You will notice differences only if you are using -for example- the gradient options.
gbball

Post by gbball »

Bumping this thread since I think it's such an important thing to add and a pretty glaring omission.

I keep having to go back to Photoshop or other dedicated painting programs to render my paintings with any precision.

The airbrush tool alone would be phenomenal and very flexible with ability to change the opacity to be dependent on pressure or any other of the other options in the profile editor.

Right now, I am limited to using power which behaves similarly to flow in Photoshop. Which is essentially only controlling the rate at which paint comes out of my brush. The problem with this is that if I am continuously painting with pressure settings on, the opacity of the paint I am applying is gradually increasing, even if I'm not pressing very hard. So if I want to make a fairly transparent application of paint I lose control because I have to lay down my stroke quickly, or else the paint will come out heavier and more opaque than I want. Whereas if I could also apply pressure settings to opacity. I would be able to take my time with the stroke so long as I am being careful as to how hard I am pressing with my brush.

It makes a huge difference. And the result is that one of your brushes that could be the most powerful (Airbrush) ends up being rarely used by me due to this limitation. I often use the pen brush or general brush instead. Each of which provide other limitations.

Drawing wise, the tools are great, but painting and rendering wise, the inability to customize the opacity in this program makes it too clumsy to do precise painting. Don't get me wrong it is possible and I have been able to do some rendering. But it takes far longer than it would in Photoshop or Sai or Clipstudio.

Please please fix this! It seems like a minor change but it will make a world of difference. Please believe me. Power and Opacity can seem similar but the differences are key and they make a big difference in digital painting.

Thanks,

Gavin
Sewie

Post by Sewie »

+1.
Michael Sewnarain - Website
Windows 11/64b Pro - TVP11.7.0 & 11.7.1 - Pro/64b - Cintiq32 Pro - Intel i7-12700K - 64Gb RAM
Mads Juul

Post by Mads Juul »

+1
Mads Juul
Storyboard Artist
blog: http://mjstoryboard.blogspot.dk/
Mail: mjstoryboard@gmail .com

Windows 10, 64 bit i7-4790 CPU 4.00 Hz,32 GB RAM, With TVP Animation 11 Pro (11.0.2-64bits)
2 Monitors 1920X1080 pixels + 1 Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2
CartoonMonkey

Post by CartoonMonkey »

+1
Peter Wassink

Post by Peter Wassink »

+1
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM
dogsma

Post by dogsma »

+2
Sandra S. Fierlinger
Sewie

Post by Sewie »

Perhaps this thread should be moved to the "feature requests" section?
Michael Sewnarain - Website
Windows 11/64b Pro - TVP11.7.0 & 11.7.1 - Pro/64b - Cintiq32 Pro - Intel i7-12700K - 64Gb RAM
gbball

Post by gbball »

True Sewie,

I was thinking the same thing.
Soom

Post by Soom »

Thanks for the support - as I said in the very first post on this thread - it should be a feature request. I believe it will be now. :)
at home: Hackintosh Intel Core i9-9900K, GPU AMD RX 6600 8GB, Cintiq 22" + Dell P2415Q 4K displays, MAC OS High Sierra / Windows 10, TVP Pro 11.7.1 + TVP Pro beta
at work: Windows 10, TVP 11.7.1 Std
https://vimeo.com/danas