Tutorials please?

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
ingie01

Tutorials please?

Post by ingie01 »

I have been a TVPaint user since Mirage. It is by far the best set of digital brushes I've used,bar none. I sadly find that the tutorial section is one of the leanest that I have used. Is there an alternative site beside youtube that has basic tuts for v.10? Any plans here to remedy the lack of tutorials for v.10?
ingie01
Elodie

Re: Tutorials please?

Post by Elodie »

ingie01 wrote:Any plans here to remedy the lack of tutorials for v.10?
I would vote for a machine to stop the time in order to let us time enough to do professional and efficient video tutorials :mrgreen:

I am sorry for that stupid joke but be sure we would love to propose great tutorial videos, but don't forget we are only 7 at TVPaint offices, to manage thousands of TVPaint users and develop or correct bugs on many different OS... :oops:

There are some tutorials on TVPaint 9.5, but nothing on TVPaint 10 at the moment...

Fortunately, you have the forum and the User guide ;)
ingie01

Post by ingie01 »

Has there been an idea to pay users to create tutorials? Hire some people to do specifically one thing, tutorials. Expand by investing in teaching talent. There are users who submit tutorials, why not hire them? Lemac or Paul F.comes to mind as teachers. Money is needed in order to accomplish this. Bottom line.
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

Mark Chong (Lemec), Paul Fierlinger and other advanced users are all very overbooked. Making a 10-min tutorial video does not take 10 minutes only, but several hours and sometimes, few days (in particular if we want to do it in English, French and Japanese).
Paul Fierlinger

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

Thank you for the vote of confidence but I am not even close to best qualified. I have never written a tutorial in my life -- and not just that; I have never even used one. All I have is mindless courage to learn anything by trial and error, and I carry scars from those errors to this day.
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Elodie wrote:Mark Chong (Lemec), Paul Fierlinger and other advanced users are all very overbooked. Making a 10-min tutorial video does not take 10 minutes only, but several hours and sometimes, few days (in particular if we want to do it in English, French and Japanese).
Indeed. Making tutorials is a very time-consuming process. I've done some for my students at AAU , but because I'm under contract to AAU those tutorials are considered Property of AAU and not something I can post.

That said, the present situation with (lack of) tutorials on the more advanced features (or even some simple features) for TVPaint is something that could definitely be improved .

I wonder if the user base for TVPaint could be documented for an organization like Lynda.com if they would hire someone like Mark to do a series of tutorials on TVPaint. I think Mark would be the natural choice. He knows the program well, he is comfortable on camera and speaking while drawing (which I admit I'm not; I get easily flustered when trying to do two things at the same time) and he has an enthusiastic and engaging manner. Lynda.com has some of the best tutorials available online. Not sure how much they pay for people to do tutorials , but if they pay enough to make it worth someone's (Mark's ?) time then maybe that's an avenue to explore.
idragosani

Post by idragosani »

I also like the style of David Revoy's tutorials (not for TVPaint, but for general digital painting techniques). Instead of doing voice overs, he provides all of the instruction on screen with popup text, animation, etc. No voice over needed! Just another thought for those afraid of doing voiced tutorials.

An example:
http://www.davidrevoy.com/index.php?article53/
Brett W. McCoy -- http://www.brettwmccoy.com
TVP Pro 10 : Intel i7 2600 3.4 GHz : 8GB RAM : Ubuntu Studio 14.04 : Cintiq 21UX
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

David Revoy was a TVPaint beta tester long time ago... too bad he is not among our community anymore =/
chatbraque

Post by chatbraque »

ingie01 wrote: Any plans here to remedy the lack of tutorials for v.10?
ingie01
It's a "dramatic" lack for the former version too… I already prayed for that…
… I agree and add my voice (again)

(It might be a powerfull way for TVP to get more clients, too… when you watch tutorials on the web, you want to own the software…
… this lack is really weird… please, take the time too do some new stuff !)
idragosani

Post by idragosani »

Elodie wrote:David Revoy was a TVPaint beta tester long time ago... too bad he is not among our community anymore =/
He's busy designing stuff for Blender Open Movie Project these days :-)
Brett W. McCoy -- http://www.brettwmccoy.com
TVP Pro 10 : Intel i7 2600 3.4 GHz : 8GB RAM : Ubuntu Studio 14.04 : Cintiq 21UX
ingie01

Post by ingie01 »

I love TVPaint! I love the forum! I love the support from all the users, unique! I have left suggestions on Lynda.com for such tutorials. My observation is that only money talks while trying to persuade potential teachers or tutorial providers. Not all users learn from trial and error. Some of us aren't that smart, frankly. ( I certainly include myself in that description) I appreciate all the time it takes for preparation and constructing of tutorials. I am a retired art teacher with over 30 yrs of experience. The digital realm is something new to me as I was trained with conventional art supplies and techniques. I have and old brain but not a dead curiosity.........
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

ingie01 wrote:I love TVPaint! I love the forum! I love the support from all the users, unique! I have left suggestions on Lynda.com for such tutorials. My observation is that only money talks while trying to persuade potential teachers or tutorial providers. Not all users learn from trial and error. Some of us aren't that smart, frankly. ( I certainly include myself in that description) I appreciate all the time it takes for preparation and constructing of tutorials. I am a retired art teacher with over 30 yrs of experience. The digital realm is something new to me as I was trained with conventional art supplies and techniques. I have and old brain but not a dead curiosity.........
We can not afford Lynda.com but we will do our best to provide tutorials.
Fabrice Debarge
masterchief

Post by masterchief »

Fabrice wrote:We can not afford Lynda.com but we will do our best to provide tutorials.
what is the expense?? I subscribe to lynda.com for years now. Seems to me that video tutorials are provided as requested by users, developed by third party instructors. you would have to pay for them to host tutorials provided by tvpaint?
TVPaint Animation Pro v11
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

The costs are different if we provide the tutorials or if they make them themselves.
Also, the french law requires a lot of administrative work (contracts and attorney money) for the copyrights management between TVPaint, Lynda (or other companies), and the tutorials creator.

Let us absorbing all the TVP 10 emails, questions, bugfix and upgrades, ... and we will focus more on the tutorials.
December was crazy, january is less, so we will find the time soon hopefully. :)

My goal is to have 2 or 3 shorts tutorials every months arriving with the newsletter, covering some specifics aspects of the software.
I hope we could make it.
Fabrice Debarge
masterchief

Post by masterchief »

if somebody wanted to create video tutorials covering tvpaint and post them on their own website, they would first need your permission to do so?
TVPaint Animation Pro v11