TV Paint Watercolour Brush

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
hilary

TV Paint Watercolour Brush

Post by hilary »

Hi Everyone,
Anyone know the best brush for getting this kind of effect? Is this possible - or would I need to create a custom paper texture?
Thanks!
Hilary
Cindy's Watercolour.jpg
slowtiger

Re: TV Paint Watercolour Brush

Post by slowtiger »

I've never been able to create this result with any natural media application. Stuff like this I do on paper and scan it. The so-called "brushes" for Photoshop are nothing else: just scans which get stamped.
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

Using several brushes (tool-bin watercolors + sponge + other custom brushes) could give a result close to your picture, but you will need so much work on the settings and so many tests that you will get a faster and better result with a simple scan (then you can use it as a paper).
Fabrice Debarge
hilary

Post by hilary »

Hi Fabrice and Slow Tiger-
Thanks for this - I was pretty sure that was the answer but just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything! :)
Cheers,
Hilary
neonnoodle

Post by neonnoodle »

slowtiger wrote:The so-called "brushes" for Photoshop are nothing else: just scans which get stamped.
Though it doesn't work in TVPaint, I created a system for simulating many aspects of watercolor painting in Photoshop, including the wet edge and paper effects. You can see it as a detailed tutorial here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnRn402WuUk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://zoepiel.com/tutorials/watercolor/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

neonnoodle wrote:Though it doesn't work in TVPaint, I created a system for simulating many aspects of watercolor painting in Photoshop, including the wet edge and paper effects.
Hmmm, in what your technique is better than the one used in TVPaint ?
Of course in TVPaint you can create your own brushes by cutting stamps. You can also manage papers and wet edge, mix colors while painting, etc...
Animark

Post by Animark »

Hey Neonnoodle,

this is a very nice and inspiring tutorial. Thanks!
I don't know if it is possible to do the same as easy in TVP as in your tutorial. I doodled around 10 minutes in TVPaint, but didn't got any belivable watercolor style using the standard brushes and papers like in your examples. Unfortunately I don't have the time now, to make more tests - but it could be an interesting challenge between PS and TVP.
TVPaint 10.5.7 - Win10/64
TVPaint 11.0.8 - Win10/64
TVPaint 11.0.8 - Win10/64 (Wacom Companion 2)
idragosani

Post by idragosani »

I experimented with watercolor effects in TVP a little while back. You can't get the real drippy water effects easily, but with the use of the watercolor brushes, sponge and papers, you can get some watercolor-y results.
watercolor.png
Brett W. McCoy -- http://www.brettwmccoy.com
TVP Pro 10 : Intel i7 2600 3.4 GHz : 8GB RAM : Ubuntu Studio 14.04 : Cintiq 21UX
neonnoodle

Post by neonnoodle »

Elodie wrote:
neonnoodle wrote:Though it doesn't work in TVPaint, I created a system for simulating many aspects of watercolor painting in Photoshop, including the wet edge and paper effects.
Hmmm, in what your technique is better than the one used in TVPaint ?
Of course in TVPaint you can create your own brushes by cutting stamps. You can also manage papers and wet edge, mix colors while painting, etc...
My Photoshop system is a very different approach altogether, because it applies the paper texture as a mask instead of as an alpha modifier for the brush. The wet edge is an independent layer effect. One result is that, if you use a blending tool on the colors, the paper texture is not blended. The colors blend, but the texture they are sitting on remains intact:
wc_ex1.png
Because the wet-edge is an attribute/effect of the layer, it constantly updates, adding and removing the edge to whatever the layer contents are. TVP does this partially with the "Drying" function, but can only go so far.
wc_ex2.png
wc_ex3.png
By making many watercolor layers, and choosing to apply wet edges to some of them but not others, one is able to produce many variations of "wet into wet," "dry on wet," as well as the use of plain water to diffuse out a hard edge -- without losing the paper fiber below:

Again, this is just a completely different system than the way TVP works, because it relies on features specific to Photoshop (layer masking and layer effects).
Klaus Hoefs

Post by Klaus Hoefs »

Recently I saw a "flowing in realtime" digital-watercolor technique done with the latest Painter version:

---start at 1:40 !

Well, it looks like some SFX-post effect applied.

Post by Fabrice »

hi Neonnoodle,

Did you try the wet profile of TVPaint ?
It could help to create nice watercolor effect.

The following brushes (tool-bin) may help to get the result you describe (not the same process, but it could be interesting for you).
watercolors.png
watercolors.png (12.19 KiB) Viewed 23111 times
About Painter 12, I'm not a big fan of the post rendering of a brush.
To have tried it, I can say it requires a very powerful computer.
Fabrice Debarge