A Scanner Darkly and the art of rotoscoping

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
cresshead

A Scanner Darkly and the art of rotoscoping

Post by cresshead »

http://www.planit3d.com/source/intervie ... iston.html

was an interesting read...i'm sure tvpaint could be put to such use as well but with a more natural media look to it...intersting to read the bit about interpolating frames...anything like this for tvpaint or destined in the future?
ZigOtto

Post by ZigOtto »

well, afaik, a "Raster>Vector" tool is not planed for the next release,
but vector shapes interpolation should be available with the RotoSpline tool
of TVPA Pro version. ... I mean kind of a first step for possible future evolution.
who knows what the future holds in store for us!... 8)
cresshead

Post by cresshead »

would be nice to have some additional spline types when using the spine draw..i'm used to working with lw's splines where you create a smooth spline every time you add a node to your line...also corel draw's eleastic band mode where you can click/drag on the line inetween to nodes to adjust the curve's ''curve''...

what we have currently is based on how freehand or photoshop works for making paths...which i'll have to get used to..seems quite a time consuming way to draw splines in comparison to lightwave or corel draw....if your unsure of what i mean i'll make a small demo video of how lightwave and corel work....
ZigOtto

Post by ZigOtto »

roto-splines are not béziers type, but B-Splines, that means you can edit the edge (in/out softness) and sharpness,
though this tool's purpose is to interpolate closed moving shapes, not to draw/interpolate opened strokes.
one advantage with roto-spline tool is the ability to "edit" the shape, (scale + rotate) in HUD preview. (see pict. below)

6 points B-Spline : Image

for drawing with splines you have also (here again) a recent external plugin called Tracer
by Manuel Zander, maybe something that could answer (part of) your request .
(unfortunately, the user's guide is still only in french, the english version dshould come out, soon or later) 8)

Manuel Zander's Tracer : Image

that's said, I think tvpa is basically a Raster animation App, mainly bitmap oriented,
the vector animation apps are already many on the market, (Flash, Toonboom suite, Toonz, the Tabs, ...)
TVPaint products are mostly designed for artists who have chosen hand-drawn and natural-media look,
and on this domain, they incontestably rock! :)